1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Merely a mild irritant I'd say. Nothing that a good tot of rum and a nibble on some hard tack wouldn't cure I'm sure .............. 

Since we’re clearly going for clichés, I’m somewhat peeved that you’ve disallowed sodomy & the lash.  Ah well.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Since we’re clearly going for clichés, I’m somewhat peeved that you’ve disallowed sodomy & the lash.  Ah well.

Don't leave out the rum.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2020 at 3:04 AM, Navy Bird said:

At that point, I'll be Javelin-ed out for a while, and will build something else before I return to do the FAW.9. I'm not sure what I want to do, though.

I think after this photo

image;s=516x361

You will not return to the FAW.9

for a long time! 😉😁😁 But if You come back, now You know which version of the FAW.9

to do, 😉😁 only Gloster Javelin FAW.9 Soviet AF in winter (Arctic or Antarctica? 😁) camouflage, only hardcore!!!

😉😁😁

(Photo "Soviet Javelin" from internet auction)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aardvark said:

You know which version of the FAW.9

to do, 😉😁 only Gloster Javelin FAW.9 Soviet AF in winter (Arctic or Antarctica? 😁) camouflage, only hardcore!!!

A "what if" Soviet Javelin. I like it! I've never done a "what if", but I did entertain a thought about doing the FAW.9 in Fleet Air Arm livery, Extra Dark Sea Grey over White, complete with folding wings. That would look cool! Or maybe USN Gull Gray (sic) over White with Pukin' Dogs markings! But I'll most likely wimp out, pay my respect to history, and do the A&AEE red and white baby.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That would look good next to a 899 NAS F4D Skyray in EDSG over white.... :)

You know, I think you're right. Let's see, I have the 1:72 Tamiya Skyray that's already been built, but it could be sacrificed. And I still have three FAW.9 Javelins (Airfix, Frog, and ZTS). One of those last two could become a Pukin' Dog. Ah, if there were more hours in the day!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That would look good next to a 899 NAS F4D Skyray in EDSG over white.... :)

Keith

My imagination hung and broke!

😲

I can not imagine this picture!

🤤

B.R.

Serge 

P.S. 

I can’t imagine 

F4D Skyray at all except "Blue Nemesis", it’s just bad that they had them without guns!

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, trigger39 said:

I'm always told I rain on peoples parades, but for most with a big interest in accuracy, eleven T3s from XH434 to XH438, XH443 to XH447 plus XM336 had pitot heads on both wings.

Yup. Someone else let me know and I have the extra pitot heads. I just haven't got around to install it yet. Easy fix, I should just do it.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, not a fan of the overly large aluminium triangle but I couldn't resist a build with your name on it. Excellent work on the cockpit, very pleasing to the eye.

Colin

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

It was primarily this thread, along with a few others, that prompted me to use the 1:72 Airfix Javelin as a project to ‘cut my 3D design teeth’.  Having, originally, been quite content with my OOB build, I have agonised for several years over the best way to correct the rear end since discovering the error.  The HPM offering certainly doesn’t ‘cut it’: fuselage plug doesn’t fit, nozzles too large with no inward or downward cant, too few radial cut outs and both upper and lower vents point the same way etc.

Roll on the beginning of last year and I started learning 3D CAD with Fusion360, some 6 months later I started working on creating the fuselage plug.  What a challenge, the cut point for the plug showed that the port and starboard halves of the fuselage at that point are not symmetrical- it took about 12-15 re-designs and a frustrating couple of weeks of ‘re-design/print/check fit/repeat’ before I got that right.  
I am fortunate to live about 40 mins from ‘The Jet Age Museum’ at Staverton with their FAW9 under cover.  The very, very helpful staff enabled me to take measurements of the rear fuselage and the re-heat nozzles, turbines and other components, allowing me to scale them correctly (note to HPM - there are 27 radial slots around the end of the nozzle not 24! and your nozzles are nigh-on 1mm to great a diameter).

In the end I was able to create a fuselage plug that fits!  Jet-pipes/re-heat nozzles with 3 deg inward and 2 deg downward cant, Sapphire 7R turbine faces and a host of other parts.

Of course none of this stuff was available for the build on this thread but:

Thank you Navy Bird for the inspiration to create parts that will allow others to create more accurate 1:72 Airfix Javelin FAW 9/9Rs, without the heartache, scalpel cuts and drilled fingers that you suffered for your hobby.  Because of your inspiration, there are modellers in New Zealand, Singapore, Indonesia, USA, Switzerland, France, Sweden and the UK who should also be grateful to you.  

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 4:47 AM, TeeELL said:

In the end I was able to create a fuselage plug that fits!  Jet-pipes/re-heat nozzles with 3 deg inward and 2 deg downward cant, Sapphire 7R turbine faces and a host of other parts.

I have been following this thread as I'm planning a similar FAW.9(R) project, so I'm very grateful to @Navy Bird efforts on his beautiful work.

Now, I'm also very interested in those 3D parts! How can I purchase them? 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ModelMod said:

I have been following this thread as I'm planning a similar FAW.9(R) project, so I'm very grateful to @Navy Bird efforts on his beautiful work.

What he said.

• Like 2

On 10/08/2023 at 07:09, ModelMod said:

I can highly recommend @TeeELL - I purchased the Javelin parts and they are beautifully created.

I recommend messaging him directly as there are different options available.

• Like 3

Thanks Badger! 
  I appreciate your endorsement.  When you build your Javelin, would you pop across to Face Book ‘Airfix Kit Enhancements’ and post a photo or 2.  I will post one as the ‘header’ photo.

• Like 2

I’ve done some basic CAD MB Mk 3JS ejection seats, they are not CMK by any standard but better than the kit seats.  Should be relatively easy to add the parachute and seat harnesses.spacer.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, badger said:

I can highly recommend @TeeELL - I purchased the Javelin parts and they are beautifully created.

Me too; quite superb. Apparently its done by some sort of black magic... further cockpit parts and ejection seats for the tin triangle are rumoured to be in the pipeline. If you're into that era I can also recommend the @TeeELL range of Canberra parts to correct the poor front end of the old 1/72 Airfix Canberra B(I)6 or to convert it to the stretched Canberra PR.7; plus other upgrade parts for the nose wheels and engines. Also similar conversion parts suitablly adjusted to fit the old Frog Caberra B(I).8 kit.  All superb.

Thes are some of the best fitting/accurate after market parts I've ever used.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RichG said:

Me too; quite superb. Apparently its done by some sort of black magic... further cockpit parts and ejection seats for the tin triangle are rumoured to be in the pipeline. If you're into that era I can also recommend the @TeeELL range of Canberra parts to correct the poor front end of the old 1/72 Airfix Canberra B(I)6 or to convert it to the stretched Canberra PR.7; plus other upgrade parts for the nose wheels and engines. Also similar conversion parts suitablly adjusted to fit the old Frog Caberra B(I).8 kit.  All superb.

Thes are some of the best fitting/accurate after market parts I've ever used.

Rich

Wow!

thanks.

• Like 2

Just where is this magical link to his stuff you site?  While I no longer have the old Airfix kit I do have two of the newer molds and the nose correction sets for them.  Planning an Argentine one from the Falklands and an Aussie from Vietnam.

5 hours ago, philp said:

Just where is this magical link to his stuff you site?  While I no longer have the old Airfix kit I do have two of the newer molds and the nose correction sets for them.  Planning an Argentine one from the Falklands and an Aussie from Vietnam.

Hi,

you can find the details here:

I must emphasise that my parts are designed to fit the old tool Airfix B(I)6 or B-57 kits; this is because they are the kits I possess and can measure accurately.  I cannot offer any guarantee that my printed parts will fit the newer model produced by Airfix though.  Whilst adjusting the parts can be done (I’ve rescaled fuselage parts to fit the FROG kit) I do not possess a B(I) 8 kit to measure.

• Like 2

This has prompted me to buy an Airfix Javelin FAW 9/9R as I remember the article in the old modelling magazine about the squadron of them out in Singapore. Always stuck in my mind so I have always wanted to build a decent kit of one from there.

Gondor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

This has prompted me to buy an Airfix Javelin FAW 9/9R as I remember the article in the old modelling magazine about the squadron of them out in Singapore. Always stuck in my mind so I have always wanted to build a decent kit of one from there.

In fact there were 2 RAF Javelin squadrons based at RAF Tengah, Singapore for a time:

• 60 Squadron  July 1961 -  April 1968
  • 64 Squadron  April 1965 - June 1967

They were based on the airfield by the UK to help upgrade the air defence of Singapore, Peninsula Malaysia and Borneo against any incursions from the Indonesian Air Force following the Confrontation between Indonesia & Malaysia. After the Indonesian president Sukarno was deposed in 1966, the dispute ended peacefully.  74 Squadron Lightnings replaced the Javelins of 64 Squadron, until RAF Tengah closed in 1971 and the base was handed over to Singapore.

In 1964, an Indonesian Air Force C-130 Hercules crashed into the Straits of Malacca while apparently trying to evade interception by a Javelin of 60 Squadron.

Rich

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichG said:

In fact there were 2 RAF Javelin squadrons based at RAF Tengah, Singapore for a time:

• 60 Squadron  July 1961 -  April 1968
  • 64 Squadron  April 1965 - June 1967

They were based on the airfield by the UK to help upgrade the air defence of Singapore, Peninsula Malaysia and Borneo against any incursions from the Indonesian Air Force following the Confrontation between Indonesia & Malaysia. After the Indonesian president Sukarno was deposed in 1966, the dispute ended peacefully.  74 Squadron Lightnings replaced the Javelins of 64 Squadron, until RAF Tengah closed in 1971 and the base was handed over to Singapore.

In 1964, an Indonesian Air Force C-130 Hercules crashed into the Straits of Malacca while apparently trying to evade interception by a Javelin of 60 Squadron.

Rich

Thanks, it was a 60 Squadron machine that I remember in the article with the black and silver bars on the fin and the Antelop? head motif though I could have the species wrong :shrug:

Gondor

I seem to have hijacked NavyBirds thread again, by mistake.  I will try and remember to post in my own thread. Apologies NB.

• Like 1