1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

10 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Lovely build and finish as usual. Whats next?

I think I'll return to the nether regions of resin modelling next, with the beautiful 1:72 CMR Firebrand TF.5. What a beast. Besides, I need my fix of Extra Dark Sea Grey.   :)

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[And 3 completions in 2019 is.... *cough* ... 3 more than I managed in the same period!]

My concern is that my output seems to go down each year. And, of course, the stash gets bigger. I seriously want to build all these kits, and have a hard time dispatching any of them. Anyone else have this problem?   :) I suppose this is some form of hoarding - scale model style.

And I also just went and bought a new telescope (my other hobby), and I know I'll be playing around with that a lot in the next year. I need more time! Especially now that the grandkids are getting older and are becoming interested in my hobbies. My grandson, about to turn four, has already informed me that half of my workbench will be his, along with one of my spare airbrushes. He told me what kind of chair he wants, and even suggested that I need two air hoses running from the compressor. Who put such thoughts into the mind of a three year old?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Anyone else have this problem? 

Yes.

That's an absolutely magnificent Javelin Bill, stunning work! 

I'm  starting to struggle with the beloved one true scale due to increasingly clumsy arthritic fingers so have been expanding my stash by turning to the dark side and have acquired the (lovely, it must be admitted) Airfix fumble thumbs scale kit - I bet my effort with it will be nowhere near as nice as your little beauty !!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

My concern is that my output seems to go down each year. And, of course, the stash gets bigger. I seriously want to build all these kits, and have a hard time dispatching any of them. Anyone else have this problem?  

Thats another yes ................ and I also have other hobbies, so that adds to the problem!

Terry

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I think I'll return to the nether regions of resin modelling next, with the beautiful 1:72 CMR Firebrand TF.5.

Well done Bill - that's the right answer!

Lovely job on the Javelin too - a beautiful result.

Cheers,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Other hobbies?  What kind of heretical weirditude is this?

OK, guilty of heretical weirditude as charged! In my defence, and to mitigate any charges I should like to have the following Other Hobbies taken into consideration..........

Photography - I have four pretty decent cameras, three Nikon and one Olympus - a life long hobby which supports scale modelling admirably. This clearly complements plastic scale modelling.

Art - not just decorating the house but canvas and brushwork using oils and acrylics. Again, useful when finishing a model in EDSG, although perhaps not as Picasso would have done.

Engineering - I am a closet engineer who aspires to make stuff that works! Imagine, a 1/72 fast air model with fully functional ejection seat.

Food - I am head Chef at "Chez Terry" with an excellent reputation with friends and family that have eaten here. In this PC age of course, equality is important to me, so we we share all duties. In the kitchen, I do the cooking and Mrs T does all the clearing up! I confess this has naff all to do with this hobby but I do like a bacon buttie when I'm down at the FAA museum.

My case is supported by the following exhibits:

Exhibit A. Painted last year in an attempt to emulate Cezanne. Like some of my builds on here, it is not actually finished yet ....

20200107_142026_resized

Exhibit B. This is a small section of my bookshelf (one 16th as it happens) which might explain how my scale modelling is leading to perhaps a more precise form of functional modelling. The two Warship modelling books are overspill from the sections that hold similar volumes .....

20200107_142222_resized

Exhibit C. I am eyeing up this beauty (or something very similar) as a potential future acquisition, along with some other "heavier" tools. A functional Beam Engine one day perhaps ...........

20200105_154218_resized

Exhibit D. The Christmas day roast potatoes cooked by my own fair hands, in sage and garlic of course. A modeller needs to eat ...........

20191225_134754_resized

I daresay @Courageous might be a member of the prosecution (as will others who know me), who will provide clear and abundant evidence of lack of progress on a number of plastic scale projects .................

I may therefore be forced to enter a plea of insanity...........😜

Apologies for the severe thread drift Bill!

Terry

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

it is not actually finished yet ....

...like many of your builds Terry :rofl2:.

Alas, I cannot throw the first stone because I'm also guilty of 'heretical weirditude':

• Photography
  • Genealogy
  • Reading
  • Wargaming 
  • Food (eating it)
  • Beer (drinking it)
  • Gardening (beginner, gearing up for retirement).

Sorry no exhibits, at work(ish).

Stuart

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Alas, I cannot throw the first stone because I'm also guilty of 'heretical weirditude':

• Photography
  • Genealogy
  • Reading
  • Wargaming 
  • Food (eating it)
  • Beer (drinking it)

Stuart

You see everyone, it's catching is this 'heretical weirditude' - I'm actually wondering if that's one of the many terms they teach at Her Majesties Royal Naval College Britannia, to all new Midshipmen, on their pioneering journey towards becoming a commissioned Naval Officer in Her Majesties most senior service? I'm sure @Ex-FAAWAFU could enlighten us?

And trust me Stuart, don't get too into the gardening bit, it can take over once retirement sets in. I reckon I've already done more garden projects in the last 6 months since full retirement, than a lifetime of Other Hobbies!

Terry

Well, as you guys know, my "regular" hobbies are scale modelling and amateur astronomy. But my biggest hobby, and the one I work hardest at, is making sure Carcinoma's Angels don't come back. And if they do, I nuke 'em.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Apologies to Norman Spinrad.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Well, as you guys know, my "regular" hobbies are scale modelling and amateur astronomy. But my biggest hobby, and the one I work hardest at, is making sure Carcinoma's Angels don't come back. And if they do, I nuke 'em.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Apologies to Norman Spinrad.

We are all with you on that one Bill 👍

Terry

• Like 4

On 1/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, Courageous said:

• Photography
  • Genealogy
  • Reading
  • Wargaming 
  • Food (eating it)
  • Beer (drinking it)

Stuart

Me too, chaps .....

1. Modelling

2. Photography (mainly aviation)

3. Bird watching

4. Gardening -more plants, really. Like most things, I like the unusual :)

5. Cooking and eating

6. Beer! And its got to be real beer. None of that pale stuff ;). Normally for me it is Harveys Sussex and Old. I've recently discovered Shepheard Neame IPA which is lovely :)

Being from an engineering family - and I'm certainly not an engineer - I have many skills close by. Your shot, Terry @Terry1954, of the lathe is much like my father's "shed" and that of my eldest brother. He builds and runs steam engines - rail and steam tractor. He even has a railway around the perimeter of his house :). We have great family days when the kids spend all day driving the trains. 

I have a Myford ML-10 for sale, Terry ;). I know that isn't an industrial spec machine but my step mum has one set up in the loft! It was my late step-dad's and she doesn't want it. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

10 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Still, clearly I struck a nerve...

Merely a mild irritant I'd say. Nothing that a good tot of rum and a nibble on some hard tack wouldn't cure I'm sure .............. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

And trust me Stuart, don't get too into the gardening bit, it can take over once retirement sets in. I reckon I've already done more garden projects in the last 6 months since full retirement, than a lifetime of Other Hobbies!

I’ll second this.  Mrs W is a keen gardener, trouble is she thinks gardening is an activity that we should do together, so I spend a lot of my time digging and weeding and moving heavy pots and large quantities of soil.  And feeling guilty about sticking plastic aeroplanes together when the garden needs watering or spraying or...the list goes on.

AW

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Andwil said:

...Mrs W is a keen gardener, trouble is she thinks gardening is an activity that we should do together, so I spend a lot of my time digging and weeding and moving heavy pots and large quantities of soil.  And feeling guilty about sticking plastic aeroplanes together when the garden needs watering or spraying or...the list goes on.

And which chore does Mrs W do? Smell the flowers?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

To be fair she does most apart from the heaviest lifting and digging.  Thing is though, it’s her hobby she enjoys it she just thinks that I should be doing it too.  Maybe I should get her to help me in mine “Dear could you just please locate and cement control column part 17 to cockpit floor part 5 because it’s too small for my fat fingers to handle?

AW

• Haha 4