1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

Absolutely superb Bill, I remember saying recently that for me a model shouldn't just be how you might see the real example parked for example, but can be used to display features of the real aircraft that you might not ordinarily see.  This is a classic example and those airbrakes really finish it off beautifully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Count them? Are some missing? Or did they procreate overnight and now I have too many?

No, no, sorry Bill - just impressed by the number you had to fit :) 

• Haha 2

Stunning.  It perfectly captures the characteristic brute force 50s jet look - an era when aerodynamics were still lagging behind raw engine power somewhat.  [See also the Scimitar]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I rock and rolled...but here I is.

Somehow the holidays always get in the way of my workbench. Especially when my son comes to town for 10 days and we visit every craft brewery in New York State. But that's not a bad thing, right? I mean, support your local brewmeister and all that. Anyway, I did a couple of things to the T.3 - I added those pokey little things on the fuselage spine (the cutaway drawing calls them simulator pressure heads).

IMG_5254

You can also see that I've started the canopy seals. They're supposed to be off-white, so use your averted imagination. I also put on the wing pitot tube, which is the turned metal one from Master:

IMG_5255

If you look at the pitot, if will bend simply by the power of the errant photons bouncing off your eyeball. The end is so, so thin - it was bent in the package, and I rolled it to try and get it back straight again. I think it's close enough. I also added the small post-like antenna behind the nose gear.

What else? Oh yeah, the rest of the gear doors, including some simple actuators that I added to the inner main gear doors. Those are pretty obvious in the photos. I need to finish the periscopes on the fuselage side (they are attached, and I'm fairing them in), add the last canopy seals, followed by the tailplanes and elevators, and a small whip antenna on top of the fin, and then I think she's finished.

At that point, I'll be Javelin-ed out for a while, and will build something else before I return to do the FAW.9. I'm not sure what I want to do, though. Haven't built a Phantom in a while, that would be fun. Or an F/A-18A in a Centennial scheme. Or a Firebrand. Or maybe a Martin Mauler. How about that Oxford Blue Sea Harrier FA.2? Or a Dinah. Perhaps a Wellesley, don't see many of those. Maybe something weird like a Douglas Skyshark.

Oh dear...    :tired:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 22

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Especially when my son comes to town for 10 days and we visit every craft brewery in New York State. But that's not a bad thing, right? I mean, support your local brewmeister and all that.

Absolutely the right thing to do! My Christmas/New Year "break" has also been crammed with other (enjoyable) stuff, so little time for modelling, although I must confess I have this morning been drooling over that Finemolds F-14A again!

The Javelin is looking very neat indeed Bill. For my money, a Bill built Phantom or Skyhawk would be very popular .......... but then all your builds are popular!

Happy New Year

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about the Firebrand and then the Wellesley? I don't want to upset either @Procopius or @Cookenbacher! I may need them to be my travel buddies again. (Oshkosh, Dayton, hint, hint...)   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Haven't had a chance to model today as Mrs. Navy Bird insisted I try out this newfangled hardwood floor cleaner thing. Unfortunately, 2/3 of my house is hardwood. Next she'll have me painting the walls...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I sit here and wince, thinking of your back. :tmi:

Thanks. I had cortisone injections in my thoracic spine about 10 days ago (first of a series of three injections) and I have to say it's helped quite a bit. The pain relief doesn't typically last forever, but I hope it lasts for awhile anyway. At least long enough to clean my floors.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OK, she be done. No more parts left, that I want to use anyway.

IMG_5257

IMG_5261

IMG_5259

I'll put up a proper RFI post soon. I'm counting this one as a 2019 build, otherwise my yearbook will look even slimmer than it already is. What was it, three models in 2019? Pretty lame.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 27