1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

37 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I'd say I c*cked that one up.

OK, we'll give you that one Bill (if we must)…

That said, although the storage might have gone awry, the actual modelling looks pretty perfect so, for me, you retain your 'faultless modeller' status my friend :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

IMG_2858

That AIM-54 arriving in your cockpit like that would really ruin your day....!!

Looked like that was a stunner Bill, those Pukin' Dogs markings look excellent! Are you planning on a rebuild? I've got a Fujimi Cutlass in almost the same state that I've kept all the bits to stick back together - one day!

Keith

• Like 2

On 28/11/2019 at 12:12, CedB said:

That said, although the storage might have gone awry, the actual modelling looks pretty perfect so, for me, you retain your 'faultless modeller' status my friend :)

Faultless? According to wifey, everything is my fault.    :)

On 28/11/2019 at 13:04, keefr22 said:

Looked like that was a stunner Bill, those Pukin' Dogs markings look excellent! Are you planning on a rebuild? I've got a Fujimi Cutlass in almost the same state that I've kept all the bits to stick back together - one day!

Thanks. I spent a lot of time on the markings. What I ended up doing was cutting the griffon design out of a piece of paper with a new #11 blade, sticking it to clear decal film, and then spraying the blue colour. It took me several attempts to get a template I liked. In the end it worked, so I was happy. Of course, a few months after I finished the build, Microscale (or maybe Scalemaster, I can't recall) put out a sheet of 1:32 VF-143 markings. Typical.

A rebuild? Not bloody likely - where would I put it? I'm a dedicated follower of seventy-tooth now.   :)

I have only one built-up model that I plan on redoing - the Tamiya 1:72 F4D-1 Skyray. I built it out of the box, using the kit's decals for VF(AW)-3, and I'd like to refinish it as the Project Pilot NOTSNIK satellite launch platform bird.

23 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I may have pulled a PC* and purchased a Paasche H single action. Now I just have to practice for 30 years.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll find yourself using it quite often. At least you will if you're anything like me. Which, come to think about it, I'm not sure I would wish upon anyone!    :)

Seriously, let me know if you'd like any pointers from someone who actually has used the thing for 30 years. Especially my patented no-mess cleaning setup.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. A couple of coats of GSI Creos Mr. Hobby GX112 Mr. Color GX UV Cut Super Clear Gloss are going on in preparation for some stickers. This is my new go-to clear gloss, even though it has a rather unwieldy name. I'd love to meet the Gunze marketing guy/gal!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Slight change of plans. After having a good look at the Print Scale decals for 151 Squadron it seems likely that the blue in the St Andrews Cross is too dark. In fact, it's printed with the same ink as the roundel blue and it's hard to distinguish the black border. According to online references, the "official" blue for the saltire is Pantone 300, which is quite a bit lighter than roundel blue. In the grey scale photo of XH436, the blue, to my eye, does indeed look lighter than the roundel blue, and the black border is very obvious. So, in typical Navy Bird fashion, I'm going to switch schemes at the last minute to XH438, 72 Squadron at RAF Leconfield in 1960. I found a colour photo at Air Britain of XA754, 72 Squadron, and the colours of the squadron markings look pretty close to the decal sheet.

Quite a few mistakes in that Print Scale sheet - painting instructions were wrong (Medium Sea Grey instead of the correct Dark Sea Grey, Light Aircraft Grey instead of High Speed Silver, and the camo pattern is missing the Dark Sea Grey area on top of the port wing). The tail stripes for 60 Squadron are black & white instead of black & silver. The blue is too dark in the saltire for 151 Squadron, plus the sheet doesn't include the XH438 codes for under the wing (I can get these elsewhere though). The last item is odd, as the decal instructions clearly show XH438 on the underside. Someone needs to checks things a bit more closely methinks.

Onward.    :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

One coat of Mr. Color GX UV Cut Super Clear Gloss thinned 50/50 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, and I think we can do some stickers.

IMG_5243

Although, I'm still kerfuddled about the air brake wells up top. Everything I've read says they should be silver, but the tops of all those "brick-like" structures have to be in the camo scheme because they are visible when the air brake is closed. So I guess a lot of little pieces of Tamiya tape...anyone know for sure? Before I spend a lot of time doing something I shouldn't do?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

56 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

One coat of Mr. Color GX UV Cut Super Clear Gloss thinned 50/50 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, and I think we can do some stickers.

I love that stuff.

Spiffing kite, William 

• Like 1

Finding pics of them open on an operational bird seems difficult.

Looks like the one at the Midlands Museum has the camo carried through on the top while the one at Duxford in that red/white scheme seems to have silver on the underside ones.

Did find an Airfix 48th scale build who also did the camo on the open top bays.

• Like 1

Nice gloss coat Bill :) 

I can't help with the airbrakes either, sorry! At least, whatever you choose, there won't be much evidence to contradict your choice!

• Like 1

Bill I painted the tops of my airbrakes in the camo colour and think anything else would be ludicrous, "Oh hi I am flying around in my camouflaged fighter but if you are good I will let you see my wings clearly by painting bits silver!"

And beware online Pantone references to the saltire, Wee Chippy, as I like to call her and her friends had the saltire lightened when the SNP took control of Scotland

I think that the earlier colour was considerably darker, more like the blue in the Union Flag which they hate

There is scope for date tracking on the Pantone references if you use them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I think that may be Singapore?

It's 60 Sqn which was based at RAF Tengah Singapore, but that's not filmed in Singapore, too many mountains and too much jungle. I think RAF Butterworth is much more likely, where 60 Sqn kept a detatchment of Javelins, this eventually became C flight 60 Sqn when thay had enough aircraft. https://www.rafseletar.co.uk/raf-tengah/aircraft-based-at-raf-tengah/gloster-javelin/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's 60 Sqn which was based at RAF Tengah Singapore, but that's not filmed in Singapore, too many mountains and too much jungle. I think RAF Butterworth is much more likely, where 60 Sqn kept a detatchment of Javelins, this eventually became C flight 60 Sqn when thay had enough aircraft. https://www.rafseletar.co.uk/raf-tengah/aircraft-based-at-raf-tengah/gloster-javelin/

It’s definitely Butterworth.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2019 at 04:34, perdu said:

Bill I painted the tops of my airbrakes in the camo colour and think anything else would be ludicrous, "Oh hi I am flying around in my camouflaged fighter but if you are good I will let you see my wings clearly by painting bits silver!"

I think that the earlier colour was considerably darker, more like the blue in the Union Flag which they hate

Done and done! The top airbrake wells will remain in camo colour, and I'll go back to my first choice (wifey's actually) of 151 Squadron with the saltire.

That being said, I need to ask you guys a favour. Do NOT under any circumstances allow me to ever use Print Scale decals again! The following issues were encountered - first, the blue in the roundels was completely wrong. Not so noticeable on the decal sheet (which has a light blue backing paper), but on the model - wow! The blue was way too light. I was shocked. Second, not all of the underside serials for each scheme were supplied. I learned from their web site that there should have been a second sheet containing these serials, but it was not in my package. This second sheet also contained all the black walkway stripes which I now have to construct using generic striping. Ugh. Third, since I switched back to 151 Squadron, I had the underside serials for that scheme but they were unusable. Literally rolled up into a ball trying to slide them off the backing paper. Never seen ones so bad! I had to source roundels and serial codes from sheets in the spares box, and the codes had to be assembled with individual characters. The only decals I actually used from the Print Scale sheet were the saltires and the small serial codes on the side of the intakes. The last of these also tried to roll themselves up, but I somehow managed to get them on, but it involved a lot of sweating and swearing (modeller's best friends).

Aye aye aye. I am now officially quitting for the day.    :drink:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

On 12/2/2019 at 12:30 PM, Navy Bird said:

Bill, i use the regular GX-100 Super Clear III a lot, but whats the qualitative benefit of using the  UV cut variety?

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

A bit late but I've just found this walk around, may be useful for some detail

Thanks. It makes me sad to see these once magnificent machines slowly deteriorating in a field someplace, waiting for the inevitable archaeologist's spade in a thousand years or so. If only there were funding for all aircraft like this to be properly cared for in a museum, or better yet returned to flight. But I guess I'm just a dreamer.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5