1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

OK, I no longer going to listen to you crazy guys! It's bad enough having to building one two of these Airfix/Heller Javelins, let alone doing all that to "navalise" one! Yikes! But I will tip my hat for your creative thinking.    :)

@CedB yup, I'm recovering. Still have that massive head cold that first appeared heading west over Nova Scotia, though. Oh, and I'm exhausted because 1) I'm an old man and 2) prior to embarking on week two of PC and Cookie's Excellent Aviation Adventure, I had to endure week one of Mrs. Navy Bird's romp through Scotland. Which, in case you haven't noticed, is all uphill. Both ways.

So, after carefully inspecting the label on the bottle of paint to make sure it did not contain the word "Extra", I dutifully painted her again. Now that's better!

IMG_5235

IMG_5238

I suppose if I keep painting it, my too deep scribing will fix itself. Time for the next colour - hopefully I'll pick the right green!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Pitot tube-like thingies and dual side view mirrors periscopes go on later.

• Like 24

That's Dark Slate Grey is it Bill...…… Then Sky undersides??………...………….. 

Just checking :whistle:

Dick

Nice build by the way :cheers:

• Haha 4

Yes, smooth is the word - actually, super smooth! :worthy: :clap: :clap:

21 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Pitot tube-like thingies and dual side view mirrors periscopes go on later.

Of course. The fact that, in all your builds, you fit the undercarriages at a very early stage keeps amazing me; but if you'd do that also with small hang out bits, I'd call for sorcery :frantic:

Ciao

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, jenko said:

That's Dark Slate Grey is it Bill...…… Then Sky undersides??………...…………..

Yikes, don't scare me. I just had to run back and take another look at the bottle!  

49 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looks way better than Airfix's awful attempt on their Phantom!

Lovely smooth coat of paint there Bill!

Thanks. Is the new Airfix Toom really that bad? I've not seen one yet.

39 minutes ago, giemme said:

Yes, smooth is the word - actually, super smooth! :worthy: :clap: :clap:

Of course. The fact that, in all your builds, you fit the undercarriages at a very early stage keeps amazing me; but if you'd do that also with small hang out bits, I'd call for sorcery :frantic:

I like smooth. Remember, thinner is your friend. As far as sorcery goes, I could have used some of that when I was scribing. You know, just give the model to the scribing fairy and let her do it.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very nice grey Bill, she's looking marvellous :) 

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Oh, and I'm exhausted because 1) I'm an old man...

Get well soon matey (I'm still older than you! :) )

• Haha 3

The two greys have added a nice depth to the finish, good thing you layed down that base of Extra Dark Sea grey first.😆

Did you use your trusty single action?

I'm tempted to try one, but I have a feeling that it doesn't come with a 'Navy Bird Skill' button.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm tempted to try one, but I have a feeling that it doesn't come with a 'Navy Bird Skill' button.

Ahh yes!

I had almost exactly the same thought on hearing of his fondness for the venerable airbrush.......well that and the (somewhat guilty) follow up thought that he must clean it properly for it to have lasted so long......

• Haha 6

On 11/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, jenko said:

I'm still visualising the folding wings...…………………...

I’m more visualising the smoking hole in the rear end of a sinking late-50s carrier after someone tried to deck land one of those monsters...

• Haha 11

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Is the new Airfix Toom really that bad?

To me it is Bill. Bought one as soon as it was released, took one look at the diecast toy like panel trenches and lack of details like missing intakes, and decided to sell it on. Much prefer the decades old Fujimi one which was done with far greater finesse. Some nice models have been built from them, but as soon as I see Airfix's attempt at surface 'detailing' on them, I'm glad I got shot of mine! At least they seem to have got things a bit better on the new Bucc....

Keith

• Like 3

It is weird how much Airfix vary (I’m talking about their modern outputs, not history.

The Toom & Buccaneer are (alas) not in my scale, but I’ve seen the F4 both built and unbuilt & agree with Keith.  Haven't yet inspected the Buccaneer, but hear good things.  The Wellington looks gorgeous, too.  Recent Sea King is very nice (even if frustrating for the likes of me that they’ve only done Mks 3 & 4).  New tool Swordfish fab.  So why the relatively bad Toom?

In 1/48, the Walrus is (in my opinion) an absolutely superb kit (some challenging ejector pin marks, sure, but good detail out of the box and with some after market as good as anyone)l one of the best I’ve ever built.  The Sea Fury is better than anyone else’s in that scale... but has some very frustrating / basic shortcomings (cowling in particular).  The Sea Vixen & Javelin are both excellent. 

They’ve clearly improved hugely in recent times, and most Brits really want them to succeed - but they still seem prone to the occasional lapse... which puts them (in football terms) at Championship level rather than Premier League, and I don’t really understand why.  How can the same company simultaneously produce a masterpiece like the Hellcat and a disappointment like the Toom?

• Like 7

I agree with you both. The Toom could have been much better. I have several of Fujimi's which I picked up in Japan earlier this year which have stood the test of time and are superb IMHO, but I'll still persevere with the Airfix offering - it will just need those heavy trenches and other bits dealt with. I can only assume different design/tooling locations/people get involved in different kits, seems odd to have this variation though.

Terry

• Like 5

Summed up nicely.  Ex-FAAWAFU 

In my opinion the 1/48 Javelin is one of the best kits they have ever produced. 

Any way back to the thread...……………………………  Bill's 50 shades of grey..... then green :analintruder:

Dick

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Did you use your trusty single action?

Yup. Paasche Model H single action, external mix, siphon feed airbrush with the medium (#3) needle (0.65 mm). I use this for 99.5% of what I do. It's what I learned with, and I like it so I keep using it. For finer lines and edges, I switch to the #1 needle (0.45 mm). For primer, I'll use the #5 needle (1.0 mm). When you switch needles you also switch the air cap and tip, but it only takes about 10 seconds to switch it over.

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

I had almost exactly the same thought on hearing of his fondness for the venerable airbrush.......well that and the (somewhat guilty) follow up thought that he must clean it properly for it to have lasted so long......

It's actually quite easy to clean, much easier than an internal mix airbrush. I've had to replace the needles a few times, usually because I dropped it and bent the tip. The parts from Paasche are cheap and they ship them out fast.

I'm told the "Navy Bird Skill" button magically appears after you've used the airbrush for several decades. I'm still waiting for mine.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Oh, I almost forgot. I read that the interior of the air brakes were aluminum. However, the tops of the rectangular blocks have to be in camouflage colours, as they can be seen through the rectangular holes in the air brake itself when it is not deployed.

This makes for an interesting exercise in masking. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct way to paint these babies?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. @perdu I passed my aneurysm exam - no change in size, still 4.2 cm. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. @perdu I passed my aneurysm exam - no change in size, still 4.2 cm. Keeping my fingers crossed!

That is great news Bill, fingers will remain figuratively crossed for you my friend

Thrive Bill thrive

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

It’s such an excellent news, Bill! We’re all here wishing you a strong health! 🤝

Superb progress on the kit, the thread becomes more informative and should be pinned for the reference, I think. 😉

• Like 1

Really good news on the exam Bill :) 

Like Cookie I was interested in the airbrush and looked them up - crikey, I'm sure it needs a 'Navy Bird' skill level!

Can't help on the airbrakes though - if it were me I'd paint 'em while closed and then touch up the internals afterwards, but then…

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I passed my aneurysm exam - no change in size, still 4.2 cm. Keeping my fingers crossed!

That is definitely great news! :fingerscrossed: :)

Ciao

• Like 2

Calling all antennae-philes. There are four whip antenna-like thingies visible on the tail of this Javelin:

airbrakes resamp

Are these actual antennae, or bird distraction devices as commonly seen on static display aircraft? I suspect the former. Also note - all the airbrakes open on the ground! My model won't be a what-if after all.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Calling all antennae-philes. There are four whip antenna-like thingies visible on the tail of this Javelin:

airbrakes resamp

Are these actual antennae, or bird distraction devices as commonly seen on static display aircraft? I suspect the former. Also note - all the airbrakes open on the ground! My model won't be a what-if after all.

Cheers,

Bill

Far too few to deter many birds but no idea what they are for though. Some sort of static discharge perhaps?

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Just done a huge multi month catch up and I can go to bed tonight impressed. Very nice work, Bill.

Re the airbrake holes, can you just swill a silver wash in there? If they are grey already, just call it a pre-wash.

BTW, the rear/under surface of the airbrakes may be anti corrosion silver too? 

Those antennae, It may be a wild guess but some sort of Comms or ILS test being carried out? 

• Like 1