EF-111A Colours

delticfan

Just bought the Hobby Boss 1/48 Spark Vark. Can anyone voice their opinion on the correct colours as from several photos the top half seems a blue grey and the lower half is almost white. The instruction suggest Mr Hobby colour references but they just look too dark, I have those paint. Also any resin or photo etch parts worth getting. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Delticfan,

The Cutting Edge decal sheet says FS 36320 Dk. Compass Ghost Gray upper and vertical stabilizer leading edge (fin cap sometimes faded to VERY light gray/white) and FS 36492 Dawn Gray lower.  The nose radome SHOULD be FS 36492 but the fiberglass sometimes ended up being somewhere between FS 36320 and FS 36492, often slightly yellowish.

My OLD MicroScale sheet 72-451 says FS 36320 over FS 36440 Lt. Gull Gray. 

My even OLDER (but very nice!) 1/72 Monogram instruction sheet says FS 36320 over FS 36492.

My advice is to chech photos of your particular bird and match the colors (especially the radome) as close as possible.

Cheers,

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Auto-correct errors!

Agreed Jordi,

In the 'Nam' days some of the A-1s turned over the the AF were in Gull Gray over white and stayed that way for a while.  I BELIEVE there were some early F-4s sent over to make up strength/attrition but I'd better not swear on that! 🙂

Flew NAVY!

WARDOG

Thanks guys, I think the advice to choose an aircraft and copy it as best as I can is what I will do. I’ll do some tests on plastikard and if it looks right it will be. Probably an Upper Heyford jet as I remember seeing them at the RAF Mildenhall airshows. It’s brilliant when you get your ideas half way across the world, thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I thought this was going to be an easy one to get an answer! Many thanks for taking the effort to post the Model Decal information. I think I’ll try a few options and then take a look and decide. Interesting that the aircraft were surveyed closely at Upper Heyford.

• Like 1

Man, I LOVE the info on the Model Decal sheets!  They go out of their way to provide detailed painting and marking info!  While I've not purchased many of their sheets, it's hard to beat the detailed info they provide!  (MAYBE Wolfpak decals is comparable!).

Delticfan, if you've looking for decals for your bird, I SHOULD have some options left from my 1/72nd Cutting Edge sheet for trade.  I'll check.

Hey Jordi,

Can you tell me which page you saw the EF-111 details on in the T.O.?  I was checking last night but couldn't find the information!

WARDOG

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Don't know if this will be helpful or useful for your Spark 'Vark build,  but Modelmaster has FS36495 in their FS enamels paint range.

Mike

Thanks I won’t rule that one out. I had planned on using Mr Hobby acrylics as I seem to get on with those. I had been looking at some Upper Heyford videos on you tube and the jets don’t seem to have that blue hue to the grey but I suppose lighting and film type all play a part. Just been sanding the drop tanks tonight, wish I could get a Flickr account and I could post some pics.

Got the airbrush out tonight and tried the paint colours suggested by hobby boss, 36320 for the top and 36375 for the bottom Which judging by all your comments never featured so I sort of new it would be wrong. Well 320 looks right I would say and 375 is lighter but no where near as light as it needs to be so never trust instructions I suppose. I tried it on plastikard very roughly but it was worth it. 320 has a blueish note to it but I won’t be able to buy the colours suggest for the bottom until next week. I think a light primer is going to be a must probably Tamiya it goes on really smooth.