1:48 EE Canberra T17A

This is not a subject I would have chosen to build. However having been asked to build it I thourghly enjoyed the challenge and loved learning about this iconic, groundbreaking aircraft.

DSC_3314 (2)

DSC_3316 (2)

DSC_3293

DSC_3305 (2)

DSC_3347 (2)

• Like 51

This Canberra always makes me think that"s one ugly duck.  You could almost say it looks rather like a platypus.  Great model though. Really shows it at it's best. 

It is interesting. I looked at this again this morning and the more I look at it the more I like it. The photos of the real plane help as well. 

• Like 1

Ha what a blast from the past. My 1st posting was to Wyton in 87, great memories and we must have put millions into the Pizza place at St Ives. Great plane and a fantastic model.

Steve.

• Like 3

Absolutely stunning! I'd love one of these.

Trivia fact; erstwhile England rugby international Rory Underwood used to fly these.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow! Very nice result!!

Strange nose!! What was that for?

Thankyou. It was for electronic countermeasures 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Lovely build - I'm intrigued by the band of heavy weathering aft of the cockpit and the streaking from the jet intakes...

It was caused by the cartridges used to start the engines I believe

Thankyou for all the great comments

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

It was caused by the cartridges used to start the engines I believe

Thankyou for all the great comments

My late father-in-law was in the USAF in the very early 1950s.  Once while stationed at some airbase out on the Texas plains, he was on flight-line duty when a Canberra landed there.  It stayed overnight if I recall correctly and the next day when the engines were started, he told me that those cartridges scared the hell out of him when they went off.  He had never been around the type and had no idea of the starting protocol.  😀

• Like 1

I have always loved this specific version of the Canberra and would like to build one someday.  For all the different versions Airfix has released I had hoped that they might release this one but at this point I think that is highly unlikely.  Debated for years about using the Classic Airframes kit but I think your choice of the Alley Cat conversion with the Airfix kit makes much more sense.  Your work here is superb, very nice weathering and paint job!

• Like 1

WD955, the oldest Canberra still in service by the early 90s I believe. I managed to see most of the surviving T17/17A at various airshows back then, tired and rather tatty at that point but so distinctive with that nose and other lumps and bumps.

What always grabbed my attention regarding the Canberra was the variety of markings and versions produced. Maybe one day Airfix might release a new 1/72 kit of this versatile aircraft. I have four 1/48 examples to build but no idea where I am going to display them!

• Like 3