Beaufighter 20mm ammo cans- dimensions?

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

I am interested in improving the 20mm ammo cans that are in the 1/48 scale Tamiya Beaufighter kit.  I have a technical drawing showing the feeds, but what I need is the dimensions of the cans themselves.  Any light you can shed will be most helpful.

Thanks in advance, Jim

I would presume these are the same 60 round drums for Hispano cannon as used in the Spitfire with the B wing?

hispano1-1.jpg

from here https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/381994-spitfire-iib-wrong-cannon-armament/

@brewerjerry  or @Selwyn  would be people who might know more? 

this image of a Beaufighter appears to show belt feeds,  

Armourers_of_No_89_Squadron_RAF_servicin

which would make sense for later versions as the drums had a smaller capacity,  60 round IIRC,  and in the case of the Spitfire, the c wing had 140 rounds in the box.

This maybe wrong, as done from memory, and right now i don't fancy searching about seeing what the net has to say...  so happy to be corrected.

HTH

• Like 1

Sounds right. I seem to recall reading that in the early days a navigator / radar operator in a Beaufighter was responsible for swapping out the 60 round drums when they were empty with spares carried in the fuselage.

43 minutes ago, EwenS said:

Sounds right. I seem to recall reading that in the early days a navigator / radar operator in a Beaufighter was responsible for swapping out the 60 round drums when they were empty with spares carried in the fuselage.

Not a fun task, especially in turbulence or a manoeuvring aircraft.  See for example Rawnsley and Wright's Night Fighter, by a man who was there!

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thank you for the various replies.  Yes, this is in regard to the 20mm shown the the first reply; however, as was pointed out, only a very few first airframes used the 60 round drums.  "Night Fighter" by Jimmy Rawnsley is one of my favorite books on wartime experiences, and removing the empties and fighting to get the loaded drums installed while in a running battle was a pretty amazing feat in my book!  After that small first batch, the Beau received large rectangular boxes for a significantly larger load of ammo for each cannon.  The Tamiya kit has two rectangular boxes with no detail.  Having a picture of the feeds is certainly useful, but it is the boxes that can be seen between the crew stations when everything is buttoned up.  So I continue the search- what were the dimensions of those four boxes?

Thanks and cheers, Jim

1 hour ago, Jim Kiker said:

The Tamiya kit has two rectangular boxes with no detail.  Having a picture of the feeds is certainly useful, but it is the boxes that can be seen between the crew stations when everything is buttoned up.  So I continue the search- what were the dimensions of those four boxes?

Hmm,  well, I presume somehwere online there are some better shots of this, the cutaway Beaufighter nose that is/was at RAF Museum Hendon, 

p2544711219-4.jpg

from https://johnhumephotography.zenfolio.com/p208119748/h97AD3633#h97ad3633

as can be seen the ammo boxes are visible.

this may help

BRISTOL+BEAUFIGHTER+TECHNICAL0415.tiff

From

http://self-preservationsociety.blogspot.com/2013/10/bristol-beaufighter-again.html

If nothing else you could make a good guesstimate, also, you can get an idea from the shell size of the 20mm round....

Hi

checked my copies of manuals, everything  but the dimensions

but this may help if the link works ok

flight magazine 21 dec 1939 

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1939/1939-1- - 1599.html

if the drawing is to scale

barrel length is 5ft   7 1/4 in

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim Kiker said:

The Tamiya kit has two rectangular boxes with no detail. 

given the parts are hard too see, and that if the Aires resin is 'correct'

845_rd.jpg

Tamiya for comparison

beaufightericjv_int3.jpg

the Tamiya boxes are a basis too add detail, and look  to about the right basic size and shape.

Hi Jim.  Unfortunately I can't help with the 1:1 measurements of the 20mm ammunition cans, but hope the pics below will help.

I have included a photo of the cans from the Revell 1:48 kit. Slightly better than those Tamiya provided! Can't give you exact measurements as the battery in my digital calipers appears to have died!

Cheers,

Pete M.

1vtcKjf.jpg

usqrMO3.jpg

From the TFX manual

jwdDYm0.jpg

From my files...sorry I have no credit listed for that one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Troy, Chris, and Jerry, thank you for your inputs; they all help get me to the point where I can approximate the dimensions well enough to serve my purpose.

For Pete, always a pleasure to see you on the 'net, my friend.  Thank you for the picture of those kit parts, the drawing, and the picture.  Very helpful!

Cheers all, Jim

Hi Jim. I was made redundant in June, and as I'm now 69 decided it was time to retire! Plenty of spare time to help out where I can on the various forums I haunt!!!!

Revell have also simplified the cans a bit but they have got them closer to the real shapes than the 'boxes' that Tamiya gave us. Got a new battery for my digital calipers this morning so here are some measurements that may help further. Hope you can make sense of it with all the 'red lines'!

iVQStpa.jpg

Cheers,

Pete M.

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:00, Troy Smith said:

Hmm,  well, I presume somehwere online there are some better shots of this, the cutaway Beaufighter nose that is/was at RAF Museum Hendon, 

There are some in my walkaround shockingly !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Julien, thanks for the pictures and the additional information they contain.

Pete, having drawn a few red lines in my time I have NO problem reading the data.  The additional information is just what I needed to "top off" and prepare for making some new boxes.

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
Missing word- text should have read ".. no problem..." My bad!
  • Like 1