1954- The Supermarine Swift enters service

Mr T

14 minutes ago, Mr T said:

My next build is likely to be a Shackleton with the Alleycat MR1 conversion

Having just received a Revell MR. 3 kit, I’m wondering if an MR. 1 version might also be kitted by them sometime in the future? Might be an easier way to go and a little less bloodshed is good for everyone! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wondered that looking at the AEW2 and MR3 kits, but when. Going to do Airfix and conversion as at 65 suddenly realised I am not going to be around forever and so many kits I want to build. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 7:33 PM, Mr T said:

The reddish mark on the rear fuselage is blood. I managed to catch myself with a No 11 Swann-Morton blade. Fortunately as it was so so sharp, the cut will heal by first intention and I am no longer on Rivroxaban  after the.

Some modeller's use for bonding small cuts cyanoacrylate glue for photoetched,  but I believe that for such purposes it is better to use special medical

cyanoacrylate glue. In post-Soviet area some modeller's use medical glue BF-6

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Клей_БФ

20190915-153627.jpg

20190915-153706.jpg

but I do not know if there are any analogues and is its use permitted

in  Great Britain

& Western Europe, because this clue contains 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol_formaldehyde_resin

But you may use 

freshly squeezed juice  garlic

has a glue effects* for skin and disinfecting ability.

Of course, if you were a relative of Count Dracula, garlic is contraindicated for you! 😁😁😁

And of course wound should be shallow and carefully treated with disinfectants, in any other  case you need to contact a doctor.

B.R.

Serge

* - some Russian modeller's

magazine, in 90 years, 

recommended use juice  garlic as glue for canopy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was not a bad cut and I bled freely due to the mild anticoagulant I am on post stroke, which helps clean stuff out. Once cleaned it just needed a plaster for a day or so and is now healed. In the UK for a bad cut you would go to Accident and Emergency (of which I had recent experience with a nose bleed. sorted but weird as the sister  in A&E and the staff nurse on the ward remembered me as I had taught them when they were students, and the consultant on the ward knew me from my days as an ENT Charge nurse) or a Walk In clinic where a Nurse Practitioner would have sorted it.

I seem to recall that cyanoacrylates were originally developed for sticking skin together in plastic surgery, in areas where stitching is not wanted as it can leave scars. Using garlic juice as a glue is interesting, but possibly smelly. i have just cut some garlic gloves up to go in a marinade for the Beef Stroganoff I am making for tea and it is noticeable downstairs.

• Like 1

Just a couple of photos to show current progress. The nose is on and faired in. There was a bit of a gap near the top of the fuselage that is down to my cutting. Sanding it down has given a better profile from above. The rear fuselage has needed a bit more filler. I am trying a tube of Vallejo filler I bought at the Driffield show.

48737923867_8e0f39826f_k_d.jpg

48737742266_40aaa3714a_k_d.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on the Swift after finishing the Bristol  138 in the Frog Group build. Tailplanes have been added and most of joint lines etc. have been eliminated, the new rear fuselage proved a little harder than I had anticipated. A coat of primer shows most of the model is OK.  Since the photos wee taken I have added the wing fences, these are needing some work to blend into the leading edge. Once they are sorted the rear part of the canopy will go on and work can start on painting it in  Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey and Aluminium

48814555992_85aeda5c7a_k_d.jpg

48814556592_c291b973d9_k_d.jpg

• Like 11

Now at the stage of getting the paint on. Dark Sea Grey has been sprayed on and the Dark Green camouflaged patterned added by brush. when the photo was taken, two coats of thinned Xtracrylix had been used, some sections have needed a third coat that went on last night. Next up will be masking for the undersurface Aluminium that will be White Aluminium from the Vallejo metallic range. Sprays on well, but I would not trust any metallic to mask over, even with a varnish coat.

48852864337_ef971b2b46_k_d.jpg

48852863787_9868a3c66a_k_d.jpg

Edited by Mr T
pictures not showing
  • Like 12

That was Swift!!... sorry pardon the bad pun.

She's looking really good now all dressed up in camo and dare say will look even better once the decals and checker-board squadron flashes are applied. 

Cheers.. Dave   

• Thanks 1

Thanks, the decals should be going on later this week as I plan to spray the undersides this evening and do any touch up work and paint the nose cap tomorrow. Their are stencils on the Freightdog sheet, but might use most of the Airfix ones as they look better. The roundel sizes on the sheets are different and so need to check. 

• Like 1

One of the things I like about the old Modeldecal roundel sheets is that they give you a list of the sizes used on a range of different aircraft. On the D Type sheet they say 24" diameter for all 6 roundels on the Swift, and a 24" wide x 24" high swept back fin flash - that's vertical height not the slant length which is a lot more. Of course I cannot say how accurate that is but they did seem to do good research. Also it may have differed between Marks I suppose, but if all else fails I would go with that. Have not got the Airfix kit, but the Xtrakit one seems to have roundels approx 25" diameter so allowing for measuring error they are correct as is the flash.

Hope that helps.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was going to be my first port of call. Dick Ward was pretty thorough with his research for Modeldecals. Slight delay as the undersides need a bit of a respray in places. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not posted or put pics up for a few days, but progress has been made, but I have forgotten to photograph it! Decals went on OK, a mixture of Airfix, Freightdog and Xtrakit roundels. Undercarriage attached, the inner doors were tricky as tolerances in the kit are nil. The kit pitot was discarded in favour of one made up from Albion Alloy tubing. Now it is up on its own legs, I have to say the conversion looks pretty good. 

Edited by Mr T
Spelling
  • Like 4

This will be the last entry before the Swift goes into the Gallery, a couple of photos taken before the top coat of varnish was sprayed on. The varnish went on today as good natural light which i find always better for spraying clear. Will leave it to harden and take masking of canopy etc tomorrow all being well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

From those photos its hard to even think that this was a fairly robust conversion. That's looking really good and a lovely addition to anyone's modelling collection. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Finished now and in the gallery. The overall finish is less shiny than I would have liked, particularly in poorer light, but gloss in 1/72nd  never quite looks right to me, even for high gloss i go for a satin look ( That's my excuse and I am sticking to it).

• Like 2

I’m a ‘Satin’ or prefer to say Semi Gloss finisher as well as pre Matt subjects just don’t do it for me in any scale. You’ve completed a wonderful and unique Swift Mr.T which looks just fabulous in the GB Gallery. It really has come up lovely and all your careful cutting and chopping is not noticeable - which is the desired effect of course. 

Cheers, we’ll modelled and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

• Thanks 1