What's the point Revell?

Oldynewby

11 hours ago, 593jones said:

I remember in an issue of Airfix Magazine way back in the '60's someone came up with an idea for painting lozenze schemes.  Fromn 1/72 plans, trace the lozenge outlines.  Paint the model matt white.  Transfer the traced outlines on to the model via carbon paper (anyone here remember carbon paper?)  Paint in the colours.  Simple!

I not only remember the articles (there were 2), I actually did hand paint the lozenge patterns on an Airfix Albatros a few years after the article was published. I mixed many of the colours from Humbrol paints too. Yes it could be done.......

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

I not only remember the articles (there were 2), I actually did hand paint the lozenge patterns on an Airfix Albatros a few years after the article was published. I mixed many of the colours from Humbrol paints too. Yes it could be done.......

Then, sir, you have my greatest respect and admiration! 

• 1 month later...

Revell crapped the bed with that colorless lozenge   decal. Those of you saying that it can be painted are missing the OP's point - why produce a useless decal that's just going to require painting anyhow? Hell, why not print some colorless roundels? The modeler CAN paint them...

Dumb! 

Revell deserves public shaming for this stupid stupid move. 

When I had this kit, I threw the lozenge in the garbage, where it belongs, painted the whole plane an olive green, and then masked off and sprayed some orange circles to model a 1919-1920 era Dutch Fokker. 

Edited by SoftScience

Does the OP really expect Revell to print a 10 colour (this is how many inks would be required for top and bottom  lozenge) decal sheet and supply it with the model for the same very low price?

These extra ink colours are exactly why the aftermarket decals cost much more than the original Revell model.

Of course, if the model cost 3x what it does and still didn't include colour lozenge decals then that is another story.

Edited by wmcgill
expand comment
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wmcgill said:

Does the OP really expect Revell to print a 10 colour (this is how many inks would be required for top and bottom  lozenge) decal sheet and supply it with the model for the same very low price?

These extra ink colours are exactly why the aftermarket decals cost much more than the original Revell model.

Of course, if the model cost 3x what it does and still didn't include colour lozenge decals then that is another story.

Hi, OP here...

No I don't expect Revell to go nuts printing a Gucci decal sheet for a cheap (old) kit, neither do I expect them to waste their own resources printing a big sheet of nothing. Just give us a simple set of decals commensurate with the value of the kit, then if the builder wanted to spend more on a/m decals, that's their choice.

Interesting - I've just seen on the Website, that it's called a "Lozenge-Vordruck" in German, which could be translated into "Preprint", but the English site says "Lozenge Markings", where noone would expect only the shape. 

But then, it's only 5,- on the webshop, which probably has a reason. I try to avoid kits that are that cheap (apart from having a test model, etc...) as it is much to time-consuming and frustrating afterwards...