What's the point Revell?

Oldynewby

I'm speechless! I just bought a Revell Fokker D VIII and I couldn't believe it when I saw the decal sheet. The colour scheme calls for a 'lozenge' pattern on the underside but Revell in their wisdom have printed it in white with a colour callout for you to paint yourself. Surely the whole point of decals is to provide the finer markings so that you don't have to paint them. Revell, if you're not going to bother printing your decals in colour then offer the model with a different scheme!🤬

BTW Where can I get a job folding Revell instruction sheets? I'm guessing I don't need a black belt in origami!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Oldynewby said:

I'm speechless! I just bought a Revell Fokker D VIII and I couldn't believe it when I saw the decal sheet. The colour scheme calls for a 'lozenge' pattern on the underside but Revell in their wisdom have printed it in white with a colour callout for you to paint yourself. Surely the whole point of decals is to provide the finer markings so that you don't have to paint them. Revell, if you're not going to bother printing your decals in colour then offer the model with a different scheme!🤬

BTW Where can I get a job folding Revell instruction sheets? I'm guessing I don't need a black belt in origami!

So it's like the paint-by-numbers paintings we used to do as children - at least I did.

The original kit was from a 1964 tooling - guess they didn't want to put more money into it?   Given it's age/quality, not sure I would bother spending $$ for aftermarket decals for the lozenge, unless you get enough decals for another kit and plan to build another?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

So it's like the paint-by-numbers paintings we used to do as children - at least I did.

Yup!

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

I've seen those. £14.40 per sheet against £4.99 for the kit...

2 hours ago, JackG said:

The original kit was from a 1964 tooling - guess they didn't want to put more money into it?   Given it's age/quality, not sure I would bother spending $$ for aftermarket decals for the lozenge, unless you get enough decals for another kit and plan to build another?

regards,

Jack

Well they've gone to the trouble of printing a new full colour decal sheet so I can't believe that "colouring in" the lozenge would have taken any more investment.

The more colours on a transfer sheet the more expensive it is, so yes, it would have taken more investment.  That's why 607 Sq  markings on Xtradecal sheets are red and yellow rather than the correct mauve and stone.  (Poor references don't help, of course.)

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The more colours on a transfer sheet the more expensive it is, so yes, it would have taken more investment.  That's why 607 Sq  markings on Xtradecal sheets are red and yellow rather than the correct mauve and stone.  (Poor references don't help, of course.)

Surely if the decals are printed using the CMYK system all of the colours are available.

Quality decal manufactures mostly rely on solid colours printing (if not exclusively).  Colours have to be pre-mixed to client specifications.  

Relying on the 4 process colours system would involve dot screens, and that would be quite noticeable on scale models.  Trust me, I've seen decal sheets  printed with screened colours.  They look like drek when still on the sheet, let alone on the model.

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

I might be in the minority here but when I discovered that the lozenge was only supplied in outline form....

I painted them!

Took a couple of evenings but was strangely therapeutic.

IanJ

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

I might be in the minority here but when I discovered that the lozenge was only supplied in outline form....

I painted them!

Took a couple of evenings but was strangely therapeutic.

IanJ

Nothing wrong with that, I'll be doing the same. I just thought it strange that Revell would go to the trouble of printing a "blank" decal. How did yours turn out?

• Like 1

now im no expert but I believe the the scheme in the box is the winged sword fokker of Rudolf berthold if you are planning to do that scheme his was an early fokker dvii which means the under wings lozenge was over painted light blue like the fokker dr1s of the time,so you could do that and do away with the hassle of lozenge, on the real aircraft it would still be seen through but only just,something to think about.

Most of the lozenge decals that are supplied with 1:72 kits are so far off in colour that you would have to replace with aftermarket ones anyway. Even the new Eduard D.VII is that way. If you want accurate lozenge colours, go to Aviattic. Well worth the extra money.

Ian

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, posh boy said:

now im no expert but I believe the the scheme in the box is the winged sword fokker of Rudolf berthold if you are planning to do that scheme his was an early fokker dvii which means the under wings lozenge was over painted light blue like the fokker dr1s of the time,so you could do that and do away with the hassle of lozenge, on the real aircraft it would still be seen through but only just,something to think about.

Have you a reliable reference for that Berthold "under wing over-painted light blue' ????   That's the first I have heard of it.   Early Fokkers had streaked fuselage but wings were lozenge.

Cheers, Tony

On 04/08/2019 at 04:22, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Aviaeology do lozenge sets for Fokkers and there is enough to do 4 aircraft on a sheet. 

Its not Aviaeology but Aviattic.  

• Like 2

On 09/08/2019 at 03:37, Tony Edmundson said:

Have you a reliable reference for that Berthold "under wing over-painted light blue' ????   That's the first I have heard of it.   Early Fokkers had streaked fuselage but wings were lozenge.

Cheers, Tony

hi tony,i wouldn't say reliable just to the best of my understanding but I was having a chat with a man who worked on the aviattic lozenge and I think he said about it(he had also made a couple of fokker dviis with streaked body with balkenkreuz but the lozenge wings had the older iron cross on)then if you go on wingnut wings web and have a look at the instruction book for there fokker dvii the also show bertholds fokker with the lozenge over painted in blue.very intresting subject thanks stu.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What digs Revell?  Isn't that tooling the old ESCI stuff?  Didn't they issue the kit like a million times with lozenge decals?  Certainly one of them must be close at least.

I think this was issued as an inside joke to someone else in the industry, but no one explained it to us plebes.

Karma Chameleon baby!

6 hours ago, Bronzemeister said:

What digs Revell?  Isn't that tooling the old ESCI stuff?  Didn't they issue the kit like a million times with lozenge decals?  Certainly one of them must be close at least.

I think this was issued as an inside joke to someone else in the industry, but no one explained it to us plebes.

Karma Chameleon baby!

No, the old Esci kit was a partial ripoff of the Revell kit. Never issued with lozenge, either.

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember in an issue of Airfix Magazine way back in the '60's someone came up with an idea for painting lozenze schemes.  Fromn 1/72 plans, trace the lozenge outlines.  Paint the model matt white.  Transfer the traced outlines on to the model via carbon paper (anyone here remember carbon paper?)  Paint in the colours.  Simple!

• Like 1