HMS Opossum - 1/350 scale submarine

Another one finished - the 1/350 scale resin kit of an Oberon Class diesel submarine from ebay seller subsmodels.....

I chose to finish it as HMS Opossum - wearing a roughly-applied camouflage scheme used when she was on special ops during the Gulf War.

spacer.png

She also sported a sharkmouth - sourced as a decal from my spares box. It isn't 100% accurate but it looks OK...

spacer.png

I think I may have overdone the 'weathing' a bit on the camo........

spacer.png

The camouflage makes a nice change from the all-black finish normally found on RN subs.....

spacer.png

Ken

• Like 32

11 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Hard to believe in this day and age that such a camo would be applied!

She was apparently on Special Ops duty with the SAS & SBS during the Gulf War.

Some photos taken of her at Diego Garcia show the 'sharkmouth' - others taken at her return to Portsmouth show the crudely applied camo.

If you Google 'HMS Opossum', there are a few close-up images showing the camo being applied at what looks like Diego Garcia.....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hms+opossum&FORM=HDRSC2

I'd love to read about her exploits during the Gulf War - but it will probably never be told!

Ken

• Like 1

I have some photos I took from the Conning Tower of HMS Osiris, when I was down in the Falklands - they served up the best curry!!  Had the best time down there - I even volunteered to extend my tour and bring the wife down.  No such luck, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a lovely model in a brilliant scheme,..... I remember HMS Onynx wearing a similar scheme but darker during the Falklands War in 1982.

Cheers

Tony