1978 - Lotus Type 79

On 9/7/2019 at 7:10 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m sure you’re not the only modeller who’s been drawn in to buying ‘Lotus Black’. Now I know not blacks are the same, but surely that’s no different to any other gloss blank paint! Anyway, no one can say you haven’t strived for accuracy, so well done. 

Given Chapman is quoted as saying

Simplify, then add lightness.  

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.  

Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.  

Rules are for the obidience of fools and interpretations of smart men.  

You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.  

The secret of a successful marriage is not to be at home too much.  

Money is how we keep the score in motor racing nowadays.  

July 4 is the perfect day to relax. It also provides a very good chance to spend quality time with friends and family since everyone is able to get away from the hassles of every day life, such as work.  

‘Lotus Black’ therefore can assumed to be

A simple Black in a lightweight container.  

Even lighter when dry and maybe even looses weight when going fast.  

Maybe not just a "simple Black" but with a shiny Additive especially if the lightweight Container has twin compartments?  

Definitely not used on his personal car.  

Home and Bedroom definitely not painted 'Lotus Black'.  

Definitely designed to be a Money spinner.  

Definitely not used on the 4th of July!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I never thought of it that way - if a bit drop off your car half way through - less weight to carry!

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.  

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. Fast but fragile.

Been a bit slow of late. Managed to get the front wishbones, suspension and brakes etc fixed on this weekend. I also started sticking the gearbox together, but have returned that back to the box for now. Monocoque and cockpit up next.

q32Eqgcl.jpgG5QgeCKl.jpg?1

Just noticed that there is a 1:12 MFH version of the 79. Take a look at these :surprised::

http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/new/en/archives/1663

Maybe one day I'll get one! Actually these pictures are extremely good references for adding some extra detail should I have any spare time to add some extra wires and tubing.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

And another couple of weeks go by. I've been getting all the cockpit bits ready - seat, belts, dash etc.

PZA9aXPm.jpg9LMjgrJm.jpgU8oklR8m.jpg?1TsPWxPtm.jpgRxryf7ym.jpg?16HidBK2m.jpg?1

and then adding them on. That large orange thing in the cockpit is an oil pressure warning light. Why they had to make it so enormous, I'm not sure.

Sq4LBC8l.jpgUfuRrDql.jpg

So here is the current state of play. Just a few more pieces to add to this now before moving back to the gearbox. Those pieces (steering wheel, gear stick, top of the safety belts, fuel feed system and the rest of the bulkhead) are all painted and ready to stick.

zblQBJFh.jpg

mJBRH22l.jpg30ogpURl.jpgp3v2jbUl.jpg

Getting there slowly but surely :smile:. About 6 week left right?!

• Like 7

Very nice attention to the details - looking good.

Not that I know, but the orange oil pressure warning light looks like a front indicator off a Vauxhall Viva...  Lotus wouldn't have done that would they? 😀

• Like 1

Excellent progress and the detailed painting is very impressive. There seems to be a lot of work involved in these F1 cars, however it'll all be worth it once finished. Good going! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2019 at 11:52, Jinxman said:

Very nice attention to the details - looking good.

Not that I know, but the orange oil pressure warning light looks like a front indicator off a Vauxhall Viva...  Lotus wouldn't have done that would they? 😀

Maybe it was in their spare parts box :wink:. Seems a tad strange to me that they would put an over-sized warning light on an otherwise sparse dash.

I've done some work on the gearbox over the last couple of weeks. Interesting inboard placement of the rear brakes, which caused the 79 brake fade issues due to overheating. Pictures of the car in the 1979 season show the brakes moved outboard. The black cylinder is the oil tank.

zkkeuhcl.jpgyxuxkM0l.jpg1yp0GuOl.jpg

I've also been preparing the main bodywork, including the sculpted base that the monocoque and nose will sit on. The inside of the side pods had some more nice ejector pin marks to get rid of. I have a new weapon in the fight against pin marks - Mr Dissolved Putty. I have to say I'm impressed after one use. It performed better than Mr Surfacer IMO.

cj5pJBol.jpgsYY0ezDl.jpgFdvToMIl.jpg

The underside of this part is sculpted like an inverted aircraft wing for the ground effect. These innovations were kept well hidden from the opposition by Lotus when the car first appeared in 1978. There will be some of this part visible when the engine covers are off, but as you can see from this picture, the innards were certainly no oil painting.

8eqgUzrl.jpg

The side pods, rear of the engine cover and rear wing all fit together to form one piece. The rear wing end plates are PE parts. I messed up a little and got some glue on the surface of one of the side pods, but the whole assembly needs some more work anyway, because those gaps will need to go....

fLeMLBhl.jpg?1yzcqjKYl.jpg

...as can be seen in this picture of the real thing, the side pods are nice and smooth all the way back to the openings for the radiators.

5mjOXsXl.jpg

• Like 6

Just a quick update to keep this ticking over as there is less than 3 weeks to go now :surprised:.

Added what will just about be the last bit of PE to the radiator and oil cooler (spot the difference - they look almost the same).

ck182nxm.jpg0W6HJoYm.jpgqhWDXL3m.jpg

Adding all the parts in and around the gearbox has been a bit delicate, but managed most of it without too much damage to the paintwork. Still a couple of bits to go on including some heat shielding around the exhaust outlets which is a PE part. It needs to wrap around the oil tank, but is stubbornly refusing to comply as I don't have a tool to achieve the required curve radius. I have a cunning plan though to replace the PE with something a bit more pliable.

Pb0cCRbl.jpgQlFPf8ml.jpg

Exhausts are prepped and painted up using MRP's graphite - lovely dark grey metallic effect with this paint. The sculpted floor is finished matt black and stuck to the monocoque. The next bits should come together quite quickly, then I can concentrate on the main body work. Not looking forward to the pinstripe decals...

mg0p4AHl.jpg0L1yILll.jpg

• Like 5

I imagine these car kits as requiring a lot of mini assemblies to complete, then they seemingly build themselves to shape quite quickly right at the end - or at least I hope so. She's looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2019 at 02:25, Rabbit Leader said:

I imagine these car kits as requiring a lot of mini assemblies to complete, then they seemingly build themselves to shape quite quickly right at the end - or at least I hope so. She's looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 05/11/2019 at 14:23, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking good. Hope you get this completed. 

Thanks. They do usually come together fairly quickly towards the end as you say because of the sub assemblies. I've been trying to crack on rather than spend time giving updates, but thought I'd let you know what was happening as we get close to the finish line. I am struggling a bit to get completely done by Saturday, but I reckon I should be able to get one mostly completed - good enough for a few gallery pictures, but probably with a few bits of touching up to do at a later date.

C5dQl2sl.jpglo3oRnNl.jpg

cXLF58vl.jpgh7P2VJMl.jpg

When I say 'get one completed', I have a confession to make. I've been making two 79s - I'm doing an Andretti version and a Peterson version. 

The reason is this: While pondering my appalling modelling output earlier in the year, I decided to try doubling up on future builds. I spend a lot of my time prevaricating on the best way to fit parts together, or the order to paint different bits, or indeed painting said bits. So doing the same thing twice, doesn't take me twice the time if you see what I'm saying. Also, I can never decide which version to build, especially with aircraft, so doubling up also made sense to mitigate my indecisiveness. Though with F1 cars, of course, there is very little difference between the sister cars within the same team.

The verdict? It has definitely been quicker. My output is ~2-3 models per year, so nearly getting 2 to completion in less than 4 months is a (quite literally) rapid improvement :smile:.

09T66hwl.jpg1KRlFZKl.jpg

I have made progress on the bodywork, which on the Lotus 79 is considerable! Will try to post some pics later in the week. All I can say is, when I close my eyes, all I can see is those damn pinstripe decals. They are a bitch and a half :swear:.

• Like 6

Looking very good indeed. 

With you on the double-build idea as well - my output has always been minimal and anything to reduce the stash with minimum extra effort must be a good idea.

2020 for me is going to be an effort to reduce the Shelf of Doom though....I have plenty of choice there. 😀

Watching the gallery with bated breath.

• Like 2

Well two will certainly increase the build rate however (from my experience) will also bog you down when some challenging situations arise. I must agree with you on the more than one scheme / unable to make a choice thing, I’ve got quite a few multiple kits and have usually started both, however just had enough energy to finish one. 

These 79’s are looking great and whatever you can add to the gallery will be great news. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well two will certainly increase the build rate however (from my experience) will also bog you down when some challenging situations arise. I must agree with you on the more than one scheme / unable to make a choice thing, I’ve got quite a few multiple kits and have usually started both, however just had enough energy to finish one. 

These 79’s are looking great and whatever you can add to the gallery will be great news. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Don’t want to hijack this thread sorry @monsjmse its an amazing build!... but @Rabbit Leader Dave I’m planning a double build soon and am curious - why does a tricky bit in the build bog you down on a double build in particular?

Edited by Dansk

5 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I’m planning a double build soon and am curious - why does a tricky bit in the build bog you down on a double build in particular?

Not exactly sure, however I if tend to get caught with a challenging step I’ll proceed with one of the kits and then not want to do it all again with the other! The first kit then moves along whilst the other languishes and there it will probably stay. Now I have had some success, however you really need to push through and keep both kits at similar stages so that this issue doesn’t occur. I’m sure you’ll be right, perhaps I’m just lazy. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Not exactly sure, however I if tend to get caught with a challenging step I’ll proceed with one of the kits and then not want to do it all again with the other! The first kit then moves along whilst the other languishes and there it will probably stay. Now I have had some success, however you really need to push through and keep both kits at similar stages so that this issue doesn’t occur. I’m sure you’ll be right, perhaps I’m just lazy. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Makes sense I never thought about like that, Thanks Dave.

I had concerns of the first kit always being the guinea pig runt with all the mistakes

and the second being the refined one where it was done with hindsight ‘properly’

so the first one loses your mojo to complete

anyway looks like both yours are amazing and identical monsjmse!

(Really sorry for the hijack over to you again...)

So I didn't quite make it, though I've put some pics in the gallery anyway. The bodywork looks a bit grubby as the decal solutions still need cleaning off.  I needed a clear run to the finish, but encountered a fitting issue with the engine cowling which meant I could not line-up the last few decals. I fear it could be due to the way the engine is attached to the monocoque as it did not fit the way it should according to the plans. I reckon the engine/gearbox is slightly further back than it should be - I'm talking maybe 1 mm at the most, but it is not a quick fix.

On 22/11/2019 at 20:41, Dansk said:

Makes sense I never thought about like that, Thanks Dave.

I had concerns of the first kit always being the guinea pig runt with all the mistakes

and the second being the refined one where it was done with hindsight ‘properly’

so the first one loses your mojo to complete

anyway looks like both yours are amazing and identical monsjmse!

(Really sorry for the hijack over to you again...)

No need to apologise Paul - it's good discussion that makes these forums what they are.

I can offer my experience from this GB. I think that if I had done just one, it would have been completed by the deadline. But now I'm left with one ~75% and one ~90% complete, so overall it has increased my output. 

It was easy to get disheartened when having to do fairly dull, tricky or laborious things multiple times. With the tyre decals, for instance there were in total 16 to apply for 2 cars. For most of the parts and sub-assemblies, there was one set I thought I'd done a better job on than the other, but the difference in this build was small and probably only visible if you're me and know where to look! There weren't any parts I completely messed up and so I haven't ended up with one looking significantly better than the other. I can see how this could be a problem though if there are several challenging elements in the assembly which could lead to one becoming a test piece and the other being superior as practice makes perfect!

It was tempting to leave one behind at times and accelerate one to get it finished. In the end I did just that, but too late.

Got to make sure that these don't end up on the shelf without being completed. Maybe if I set a new deadline of Christmas, I'll get them done!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Great effort all around Mark. I'm glad you've added your progress into the gallery and although they are not quite 100% ready, they are really great examples of the machinery that dominated the 1978 F1 World Championship. 

Cheers and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1