RAF Chinook from Italeri MH-47 kit

chrisrope

Hi 

I have a wanted ad up for an Italeri Chinook but was wondering if one doesn’t turn up, are the basic bits to build an RAF Chinook in this kit? If I don’t use the bits on the extra sprue for the MH-47 and find appropriate decals that is or am I better waiting for a dedicated kit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401630601705

Cheers

Chris

With a reasonable amount of modelling you can make an HC3 ( the version they bought a bunch of then hid them away because they were incompatico with normal Wokkas)

I think this may be like the later HC6s but that is me guessing, I'm not sure of the update mark numbers

I intend making a later mark from mine, later.

• Thanks 1

Except for the inflight refuelling probe and radar pod, the MH-47's fatter sponsons are the most noticeable difference between the two versions.  From memory, I think Italeri kit provides these as separate items and you have to remove the standard sponsons from the fuselage halves as part of the construction process.

Watching the news footage it looks like the RAF are using conventional HC Mk.6 ? aircraft the reinforce the dam.

Hope you have a safe outcome Chris 

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Chaps 

Im ok where I am as I’m behind it so not evacuated and at home. Everyone who has come to assist is doing an excellent job, the sound of the Chinook is quite reassuring 

I might have one sorted but good to know I can have the MH-47 as a backup just in case 

As Richard says the fatter side saddles are in the MH-47E and the side pods of the original size ones have to be removed

I would say we all hope everything settle down quickly for you guys with minimal further drama

Finger crossing time

• Thanks 1

With that kit with the large tanks on the side youll be able to make a Mk3 as mentioned above or a Mk5 which is what the Mk3s have been upgraded too. 

Of you can get smaller tanks that would suit modelling a Mk4, Mk6 or a Mk6a the other marks of Chinook the RAF currently fly 

When I built an RAF Chinook I used the Trumpeter CH-47 with some Italeri parts (the Italeri engine filters look a lot better.) I know the Trumpeter kit has a shape issue with the rear fuselage but I think overall it looks better.) 

CMK set 7162 will give you a lot of the exterior fit and chaff dispensers for the RAF version and the rest is easily scratch built. 

• Thanks 1

The Chinook must be fast catching up with the Wessex for variants. Are we up to a Mk.7 yet?!

As for the dam repair work in the news, a great example of our armed forces showing what they can do when the call goes out for help. 

No Mk 7 just yet but there has been 7 mks due to the Mk6 and the Mk6a. Although if the RAF do go ahead with their plan to order some new Chinooks we could end up with a Mk7 

• 4 months later...