It's Showtime!XXXWaved offXXXXXXX

stevej60

Morning Folk's,back in 1972 when I was just settling into my second year at comprehensive school every night the news was full of doom and gloom

about the state of the country,the Middle East and some far of war in Vietnam,think Vietnam air war and the Phantom will always come to mind.

Academy's kit is of the famous Showtime 100 the mount of Randy "Duke" Cunningham and his RIO Willie Driscoll on a return from a strike on Haiphong

they got into a bit of a scrap.https://theaviationgeekclub.com/showtime-100-vs-colonel-toon-the-most-epic-1-v-1-dogfight-in-the-history-of-naval-aviation/

The kit was given to me by my eldest most parts off the sprue but not started with the Airfix build going well I think there's time for this one.

aca_12515_title

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's,better get a move on as I want to catch up to the Airfix Phantom to paint them together started the cockpit and wing

assembly.

20190822_104312

20190823_094205

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

Going to interesting to see both finished side by side, one piece fuselage? solves the problem of a join line down the middle, always my bug-bear!

It's a shame Airfix insist on those slightly deeper panel lines, the ones on the Fujimi kit I'm doing look really fine. 

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

Morning folk's apologies for slow progress and not getting around the other superb builds in this STGB,after priming I gave the undersides

a spray of Tamiya white and masked the US Navy machine for it's top gray(I think she's a touch dark but will do).

20190909_104500

• Like 1

Hi folk's,apologies but having to give this one a miss for the deadline,the kit is fine boxed her up for now but the decal's were the worst

I've dealt with for many years(and that's after four months of Frog building) for a state of the art kit touching the £25 mark Academy

really dropped the ball on this one,brittle, wafer thin and out of register.I'll have a look for some after market decals when time permits.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,apologies but having to give this one a miss for the deadline,the kit is fine boxed her up for now but the decal's were the worst

I've dealt with for many years(and that's after four months of Frog building) for a state of the art kit touching the £25 mark Academy

really dropped the ball on this one,brittle, wafer thin and out of register.I'll have a look for some after market decals when time permits.

Sure you want to give up? I’ve got some spare italeri decals for showtime you can have 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 11:38 PM, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,better get a move on as I want to catch up to the Airfix Phantom to paint them together started the cockpit and wing

assembly.

20190822_104312

20190823_094205

Just caught up with this one Steve.  You painted the upper wings and fuselage before mating them - is the fit that good?

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Just caught up with this one Steve.  You painted the upper wings and fuselage before mating them - is the fit that good?

Hi Mike I didn't like the idea of fitting the upper wings after joining the lower one to the fuselage so I cut off the pegs and as I suspected

the join was a tight fit no filler needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Great shame. Be nice to see this done.  Hopefully you'll get the Airfix build done though 👍

Davey.

Thank's Davey,Stu has fixed me up with a fresh set of decal's which should arrive soon,i'll get her finished just won't make the Gallery.

• Like 1

Afternoon folks,thanks to Stu I'm back on track with this one.I'm a bit annoyed as the original aircraft didn't have those  "thing's" on the 

intakes above the Star and Bar and if I'n honest I've gone a bit too dark on the gray but I can live with it.

IMG-20191001-WA0000

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Hi Stevbe,

According to several of my books, those "things" as you call them were the antenna and cable duct for the AN/ALQ-126 DECM (Defensive Electronic Counter Measures) fitted to many USN F4 starting with the late F4B. It came in 2 versions, the B, RF4B and N having a long and thinner version, and the J & S having a shorter thicker one. However, pictures seem to indicate that it was not fitted to all aircraft so perhaps this particular one did not have it. FYI the RAF F4J had the duct but the DECM was not actually fitted.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

13 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Stevbe,

According to several of my books, those "things" as you call them were the antenna and cable duct for the AN/ALQ-126 DECM (Defensive Electronic Counter Measures) fitted to many USN F4 starting with the late F4B. It came in 2 versions, the B, RF4B and N having a long and thinner version, and the J & S having a shorter thicker one. However, pictures seem to indicate that it was not fitted to all aircraft so perhaps this particular one did not have it. FYI the RAF F4J had the duct but the DECM was not actually fitted.

Cheers

Pete

Thank's Pete,I bit the bullet today and removed them glad to say no issues and under a repair coat of paint look good,Photos of the Squadrons

aircraft show none fitted at the time and these decals show a different aircraft than the Academy kit so Showtime 100 may not have been the 

callsign for this aircraft.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:06 PM, PeterB said:

FYI the RAF F4J had the duct but the DECM was not actually fitted.

Cheers

Pete

There's always an exception to the rule Pete, for some reason ZE350 "T" for tigger didn't have the DECM antennae duct.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Evening folks sadly life has overtaken modelling this weekend no way will I make the Gallery on time but due to Stu's help with the 

decals she must be completed so keep an eye out in future for an RFI post.

• Like 2