1/16 Trumpeter-T 34/85 Model 1944

Jeff E

Seeing as I want the upper hull to be able to be removed from the lower half when the model is complete the fuel and oil tanks need to be covered in. I will be using 0.5mm plastic sheet to do this but first I made up some templates out of thin cardboard to hopefully minimise errors😧

The first two are of the front fuel tanks.

7d048f90-7f15-4535-9beb-e1a016d52ec6.JPG

0fffc5dd-bbb3-4014-bfd6-b34824388652.JPG

The next three are of the rear fuel and oil tanks and the suspension covers.

ea677903-03af-4c98-9181-9a9823b4057b.JPG

f4ee0ba7-a2d7-4f7e-ad0b-cefa7b0128c9.JPG

92f57fc1-1228-403e-85e9-1739fbb846ba.JPG

I have since found out that there are two more fuel tanks fitted, one on either side between the engine bulkhead and the front of the rear suspension station. These will be scratchbuilt later when the bulkhead is fitted.

That's all for now  

Cheers Jeff

• Like 3

Hello All,

Some more progress has been made, the fuel and oil tanks have been built and fillers for the fuel tanks added.

The parts for the front tanks were cut from 0.5mm plastic sheet using the templates as a guide, these worked really well and only some small adjustments were needed, they were then glued into place.

99868c5d-ee51-4449-a244-f594148b78c7.JPG

b1ce0e48-9404-44ae-b9d4-f647a9367a12.JPG

b819065f-2c39-4d3c-87d6-94289cb2a4f1.JPG

From what information I could gather the fillers for the fuel tanks were a screw in bung, because the tanks had to pressurized with air so I decided to represent them as a bung screwed into a piece of pipe. The pipe is made from 5mm plastic tube, the bung from 3mm plastic rod with a 1.8mm bolt head glued to it. The upper hull was fitted so that the the fillers could be positioned under the appropriate openings for them.

aa9f64db-d773-44ab-b856-9e942212fd5e.JPG

d28ab60b-a455-41e4-aa11-30e3be46174f.JPG

70ffcfdb-b8ea-43e3-8084-840bfcbec2ab.JPG

As can be seen in the last photo the air pressure line to the RH front tank has been fitted, it runs down to the floor of the tank and bends around the foot of the tower and will terminate under an ammo box the other end, which also terminates under an ammo box, will bend around the foot of the LH tower and connect to the selector valve on the driver's wall panel when it is fitted.

• Like 4

The rear fuel and oil tanks were cut from the same plastic sheet using the templates and after some minor adjustments were glued into place.

bb6a77b1-bd18-4e41-98e9-086d561d97bc.JPG

e2af1815-b4f9-404c-aca8-a7ab29f9b416.JPG

cf8951a6-b2de-4e51-8de2-c59ab17f5fff.JPG

6a28ff10-4df0-47c4-9949-194eaf92b567.JPG

Some covers will be made to cover the rear suspension stations, the front ones will remain uncovered as mentioned before.

That's all for now. 

Cheers Jeff.

• Like 5

On 8/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, Dads203 said:

Like where you are taking this Jeff, nice work indeed. 

Dan 

Many thanks Dan

On 8/27/2019 at 12:45 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress, Jeff! 👍 The scratch-builded parts looks absolutely awesome - keep up the good work!

Thank you very much Nikolay

Time for a small update. I have made and fitted the covers for the rear suspension stations.

f17a1956-a18b-4286-abde-e2d792fbc20e.JPG

f792f790-62a3-4f81-aeb2-b377d8786d29.JPG

28ef0543-a7dd-4b06-8d99-4c02adc4fe34.JPG

I have also added the outlet pipe from the air start valve to the engine and the fuel pressure lines to the drivers panel, these will be the last parts added before the inside of the front of the panel is painted where it curves around the front suspension station and it is fitted to the model.

37195e44-e938-4faf-9b0b-82a5b43e9aef.JPG

I have also made up the air start tanks. In most photos I've seen the plumbing from the tanks to the start valve joins the two tanks at a tee piece away from the tanks and then goes to the start valve, but as you can see in the photo below Trumpeter have molded an elbow and a tee piece on the bottom tank so I decided to join the top tank to the elbow and turn the tee piece into a gate valve and use it as a common outlet for both tanks.

389bb62c-409a-47cf-b4ad-71eb74dab26d.JPG

6a7f52fd-012a-4cef-90f3-5a9a30b4ce6d.JPG

0f0427f1-bd73-462c-8cd9-6acbc70a77ff.JPG

That's all for now.

I will post some more progress soon.

Cheers Jeff

• Like 4

Hello All, 

Time for the next update. Trumpeter supply two PE sheets with the kit mostly for the external parts, grilles, straps etc but also included are some very nicely detailed parts for the machine gun magazine racks for the driver's compartment and the turret. The first one is fitted on the RH wall next to the radio operator/ gunner. 

0c29837c-11e4-4357-a80b-543117af73d9.JPG   

d1700fa2-8659-454e-ae07-a0992ebcddf2.JPG

17557304-f3d8-48de-884b-c04b1e755c3e.JPG

I have also made up and fitted a cover, out of aluminium tube and plastic sheet for second axle on the RH side as it will be the only one visible when the driver's compartment is completed and a poly cap on an axle didn't look good.

597f6123-9735-4621-8f2b-4a510451881c.JPG

519c3123-e4d6-41e8-8a10-4499f79b9eed.JPG

The pipes that connect the air tanks to the air start valve and the fuel air pressure pump to the fuel tank selector valve have also been fabricated. The following photos shows them dry fitted in place.

ab71c117-8ab0-4f4b-aef4-c078101d8a3d.JPG

e64e4a57-0238-4f31-93b5-ccba66bc3daa.JPG

06783c26-e352-49a9-abff-21a04fff75c1.JPG

• Like 5

The inside of the two guards for the front suspension stations were painted ivory and then parts E17 and E18 were glued into place along with the air pipes and the front area was given a coat of ivory paint.

8f2c0a6f-55dd-405d-aa0c-37eabfd317d1.JPG

61ff8db8-2e2b-4861-a15d-edf8ffd43cac.JPG

03ed8abd-c69a-49ce-80bb-f690f23bd7b7.JPG

fbf3d7c5-4250-468c-a723-025f78b7d6c8.JPG

cbc72beb-5e27-45ef-a41b-d417c3742d96.JPG

2a96b824-bf3e-44f3-a8a1-bc7957d3ea0b.JPG

That's all for now.

I will post some more progress soon.

Cheers Jeff.

• Like 5

On 20/08/2019 at 09:50, Jeff E said:

Seeing as I want the upper hull to be able to be removed from the lower half when the model is complete the fuel and oil tanks need to be covered in.

It’s a great idea to make all these gorgeous details accessible! 👍 I’m watching with an interest - what a fantastic build here, Jeff!

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 7:52 PM, Bullbasket said:

That's a lot of brilliant detail work going in there. I hope that it will still be visible on the finished article.

John.

Thanks John, I am planning to make the whole of the upper hull removable so hopefully most of it will be visible. I do try to visualize what parts will be seen and which ones will be covered by seats, ammo boxes or other parts and only add the detail where it will be seen.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s a great idea to make all these gorgeous details accessible! 👍 I’m watching with an interest - what a fantastic build here, Jeff!

Thank you Nikolay.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:56 PM, Vaastav said:

Excellent attention to detail & scratch building, I need to learn from you 

Thank you Vaastav.

I was planning to add an update today but the photo hosting site I use, Village Photos security certificate has expired and when I open their page I get a warning not to log in as personal information may be stolen. I have encountered this problem with other sites and it is usually rectified fairly quickly. So as soon as they are up and running again I will post an update.

Cheers Jeff.

• Like 3

Hi All,

I am still having an issue with Village Photos as they have still not renewed their security certificate. I tried again just now and I still get a privacy warning that personal information could be stolen if I proceed to the site so I have signed up with Flickr and I will attempt to post my images from there until the issues at the other site are rectified.

I have been working on the bulkhead which separates the fighting compartment from the engine. There are quite a few modifications I want to make to this part, one of the main ones being to cut out the engine access panel in the centre of the bulkhead. A new panel will be made out of plastic card and be removable.

The first photo shows the part as it comes in the kit.

Part E 5a

The second photo shows the parts of it I intend to modify. The black line indicates the access panel that will be cut out, the black arrow is pointing to the fuel tank selector valve which needs to be cut off and re-positioned because it is directly in line with the generator drive shaft on the engine. Holes will be drilled where the red arrows are pointing so that the speedo and tacho cables can be fed through to the engine and transmission and a hole for the wiring to the fuse box and the yellow arrow is pointing to the oil scavenge control valve which needs to be cut from the access panel and plumbed into the oil system at a later date.

Part E 5b

This is the bulkhead after the access panel was removed.

Part E 5 after mod 1

All of the ejector pin marks on the rear of the panel were filled and sanded and the pipe detail was removed.

holes filled 2

The pipe on the left in the photo was removed and a piece of plastic card fitted over the square hole, which is the back of the fuse box, in between the two pipe sections. The fuel tank selector valve was removed and refitted a few mm to the left of it's original position and the holes were drilled for the wiring and the cables.

Fuel tank selector removed 1

Fuel tank selector refitted 1

The rear parts of the fuel valve and the oil hand pump, which is represented by that lever to the left of the fuse box, were made from plastic tube and rod and fitted with drilled out bolt heads to represent unions for the  pipes some wiring was also added to the fuse box.

Fuel selector and oil hand pump 3

Fuel selector and oil hand pump 4

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jeff E said:

I am still having an issue with Village Photos as they have still not renewed their security certificate. I tried again just now and I still get a privacy warning that personal information could be stolen if I proceed to the site

it's a nuisance to say the least.

I tried flikr a while ago and found it to be annoying, compared to village photos. However, i f village don't get it fixed soon I might migrate back to flikr.

• Like 1

I have assembled the engine crankcase, timing cover and generator so they can be dry fitted into the hull to make sure that the modifications I've made to the bulkhead don't interfere with the fit of the engine.

Generator 1

Engine crankcase assem 3

Engine crankcase assem 3

The next two photos show the engine and bulkhead dry fitted. A plastic strip has been fitted across the opening in the bulkhead and a piece of plastic angle glued across the bottom of it to support the access panel when it is fitted.

Bulkhead dry fitted 2

Bulkhead dry fitted 1

A handle was also fitted to the selector valve.

That's all for now 

Cheers Jeff

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Whofan said:

it's a nuisance to say the least.

I tried flikr a while ago and found it to be annoying, compared to village photos. However, i f village don't get it fixed soon I might migrate back to flikr.

I agree with you after just posting from Flickr for the first time the process does take a bit longer and I can't work out how to organise my photos in the order I want them as easily as I can with Village Photos. Anyhow we will see what happens over the next few days, hopefully they get it sorted soon.😃

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 10:02 AM, Liam Harrison said:

Loving the detailed explanation on your modifications

Thanks Liam and Nicolay, I am glad you like them and hope you find some of the information useful.

The next job was to make the two fuel tanks located in the engine bay, these are not supplied in the kit and will be scratch built. As with the covers for the other fuel tanks I made a template for these tanks from cardboard and the used it to cut the tanks from 0.5mm plastic sheet. The first two photos show the template fitted in position.

fuel tank template  4

fuel tank template  1

The two tanks were then cut out and glued together and dry fitted to the hull.

RH fuel tank 2

RH fuel tank 5

RH fuel tank 6

The next thing I had to workout was how to replicate the panel strengthening detail that is present on the other tanks, the circle and cross that can be seen on the rear fuel and oil tanks. What I finally decided to use was adhesive foil which is about 0.3mm thick and after testing that primer and paint will stick to it will add a nice relief that can be painted and weathered later.  

The foil was cut to shape and marked and cut out with a hole punch and scalpel and it was the stuck to the tanks.

Fuel tank detail 1

Fuel tank detail 6

fuel tank fitted 2

fuel tank fitted 3

The tanks were then glued into place. The engine bulkhead is still only dry fitted here as some more parts need to be added to it.

As you can see in the above photo I have also added this detail to the front fuel tanks and will also add it to the rear fuel and oil tanks.

I am not sure what the small handle on top of the tank is for, possibly a lifting eye.

• Like 3

The other small job that has been done was to fit the oil return manifold to the rear of the engine bulkhead. One possible use for this 'manifold' or hollow chamber was to trap water vapour. The original mounting holes in the bulkhead had to be relocated because to mount it the right way up they were to low. 

Oil manifold holes 2

The part had a large hollow in the back of it where it mounted on the access panel, which is now removed, was filled with a piece of sprue and putty and sanded to shape and a hole was drilled into the LH side to take the outlet hose from the oil cooler radiator.

Oil manifold 1

The manifold was the fitted to the bulkhead and a mounting bracket was made.

Oil manifold 2

Oil manifold 9

That's all for now 

Cheers Jeff

• Like 5

On 9/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, wangmm2047 said:

There are many problems about fix upper hull and lower hull together. Some detal upgrade are totally unnecessary.

Hi wangmm2047,

Thanks for your opinion about some of the detail being unnecessary and some of it may well be completely hidden after other parts are added but what would disappoint me more was if I did not add it and it was able to be glimpsed or seen after it was too late to add it in. The fit of the two hull halves on my model is very good and I am constantly checking the fit of the two halves after the detail is added so as it does not interfere with their fit. I don't intend to glue them together allowing the upper hull to be completely removable.

Hello All,

Time for another small update, I have cut out the access panel for the engine bulkhead from 0.5mm plastic card it still needs a few things done to it such as an hole cut into the lower RH side (looking at the picture) so the oil scavenge valve can be accessed and a hole roughly in the centre to access the air start distributor without removing the panel.

bulkhead cover plate 4

I have also added the wing nuts and cut some hinge detail into the lower access panels. The next job was to add some bulkhead fittings to the bulkhead so that the various fuel and air lines could pass through from one side of the bulkhead to the other. These were made from 1.8mm bolt heads drilled out to take the pipes.

Air and fuel line fittings 1

The yellow arrow indicates where the pipe for the air start system will go, the blue arrows show where the fuel air pressure lines will continue from the front fuel tanks to connect to the engine bay fuel tanks, the orange arrow indicates where the fuel air pressure line for the rear fuel tanks goes and the green arrows are where the fuel lines from the front fuel tanks connect to the engine bay fuel tanks via a tee piece on the engine side of the bulkhead.  

The next picture shows the engine side of the bulkhead.

Air and fuel line fittings 3

The cross pieces of the fuel line tee pieces were made from 0.8mm plastic rod with drilled out bolt heads glued to each end, these will be glued to another small piece of rod to form the tee and positioned into the lower bulkhead fittings after the fuel lines have been shaped.

Tee pieces 1

Two oil return lines were made up to connect the oil manifold to the oil tanks on each side of the hull. They were made from 1.2mm solder and the 'hoses' were made from heat shrink, carefully shrunk onto the solder and then pushed onto the plastic part. The solder was slid all the way into the heat shrink and bent so that the heat shrink holds a nice shape without kinking.

Oil return lines 7

Engine bulkhead fitted 2

The bulkhead was then glued into place the next jobs will be to make up the air and fuel lines for the drivers compartment and to finish off any other details in that area so that it can be painted.

That's all for now thanks for looking in, all comments welcome.

Cheers Jeff

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...