1962 - Airfix Avro Anson MK1

After much deliberation I have gone with the Anson as it was released in my birth year.  Other options were a Mercury Atlas, UH-1B first delivered to the RAAF or a Charles F Adams class (RAN Perth Class) DDG which had its keel laid. You might see another of those depending on how much I distracted from this kit.

48441779101_a3cb5f9a29_b.jpg

48441778946_7b6cd10305_b.jpg

It will be in the markings of No1 Air Observer School RAAF

48441779086_39d4c981cb_b.jpg

• Like 11

Well done Ray, great to have you on board and additional points are always on offer when any Aussie subject is thrown into the mix.

Although this Anson kit has served us well for so many years, wouldn't it be nice if Airfix took a modern day look at it again somewhere down the track?

Good to see those new Red Roo decals being used as well. 

Cheers, good luck and warm welcome.. Dave 

• Like 3

On 03/08/2019 at 03:28, Rabbit Leader said:

Well done Ray, great to have you on board and additional points are always on offer when any Aussie subject is thrown into the mix.

Goodness me that's come a complete surprise, I must say 😉

Good luck, Ray, always had a soft spot for the Anson, I just keep chickening out when I think of the masking involved.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Goodness me that's come a complete surprise, I must say 😉

Good luck, Ray, always had a soft spot for the Anson, I just keep chickening out when I think of the masking involved.

Cheers Pat

Hmmm yes, masking. I have tried to cheat with masking fluid on other projects like this with not so good results. Looks like I will be spending a little time with a new blade and plenty of patience when I get to that stage.

I wonder if there is a  set of pre-cut masks out there somewhere?

And yes, I have found and order a set for the Special Hobby Anson. Hopefully with minimal tweaking they will work on the Airfix kit...

• Like 2

Great choice Ray. 

I loved this kit as a boy. I liked the way you could retract the undercarriage. I don't think anyone would be surprised if Airfix revisited this subject. 

Joe. 

• Like 2

Thanks Joe,

Yes I noticed the 'do not glue' annotations in the instructions for the gear, I think I will be gluing mine down though.

So on with the show, some paint splashed around the interior, some good old Humbrol 78

48483765237_f1a0a0760a_b.jpg

48483612636_f1f318d86b_b.jpg

and on the gear pieces and props

48483765177_fd2a3e7d5f_b.jpg

and some tidying of the nacelles

48483765107_60b0cd0e5e_b.jpg

• Like 9

Some further assembly , filling, etc

48509842211_ba33bda661_b.jpg

48509842101_91492229ea_b.jpg

The clear parts were installed, engines in this shot are press fitted on as I need to paint the cowlings before the props are attached.

48510026607_673c9f6b74_b.jpg

The windscreen had a nice chunk of sprue attached which was removed, the camera decided not to save the 'after' shot with the excess plastic removed.

48509841966_9a7875cc4f_b.jpg

• Like 7

Looking so much like an Anson there Ray. Funnily enough seeing this built has me wondering why I sold mine off so many years ago. It must have been at a time when someone convinced me to just build Tamiya kits and ditch anything of a certain vintage. Silly me shouldn’t have listened should I. Great progress and update.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking so much like an Anson there Ray. Funnily enough seeing this built has me wondering why I sold mine off so many years ago. It must have been at a time when someone convinced me to just build Tamiya kits and ditch anything of a certain vintage. Silly me shouldn’t have listened should I. Great progress and update.

Cheers.. Dave

I am quite enjoying this build (as I did the Gannet in the FROG GB), not to many parts and easy clean up of parts.  Some more sanding to go and it will be time for masking and paint.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks great Ray... ain't masking canopies lots of fun... not! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yep, that is why there was 2 weeks between updates, 1 week for waiting for the mask set to arrive from the UK and then another to build up the will to use it!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have leapt ahead with this one, 

Just waiting for the paint on the props to dry and I can do a final clear coat and remove the masking.

But before that some progress shots, the sprayed the inside colour on the masked clear parts and found some small gaps so they were filled with some PPP

48735281586_8611017da9_b.jpg

I resprayed and started to mark out the camo

48735465792_06d7c0c996_b.jpg

and then the paint went on

48735465732_16fa5eacea_b.jpg

48734951428_ee4307d020_b.jpg

followed by a gloss coat and the decals

48735281336_a507cc3338_b.jpg

48734951268_1e4d635379_b.jpg

Finally here it is with the engines popped off so I can fit the props after the paint dries.

48735281241_a1754c5be0_b.jpg

And finshed

48735499516_8f1e4a82b9_b.jpg

• Like 11

That’s come up so well Ray, an excellent example of and oldie (but with a little bit of spit and polish) still a goodie! 

Thanks for taking part in this GB and it’s nice to know that you can look back on this kit and know that the original moulds are as old as you are! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks Cliff and Dave, it was another great GB to be a part of.

We still have a couple of months so I am looking at another entry, Perhaps a RAAF UH-1B, the first two of the fleet entered service in late 1962. 

Or perhaps a Horizon Model Mercury Atlas which put John Glenn (in February), Scott Carpenter (in May) and Walt Shirra (in October) into orbit in 1962.

• Like 2