Server Existential Crisis

3 minutes ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

Just saw the comment on Facebook that Britmodeller has been hacked.   Can only say that for me, it is still working!    2nd August 1406 BST

Yes it appear's we've upset someone again MN 

Edited by stevej60

It's not hacked.

A DDoS is an overload attack, like trying to get 2000 people through an opening that can handle 2, and the amount of People is steadily increasing.

The Britmodeller servers cannot handle this so thats why its hard to reach the site.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Christer A said:

It's not hacked.

A DDoS is an overload attack

That's a bit of a tomayto/tomato kind of thing, as they're both hacking, but we perhaps associate the word "hacking" with script kiddies drawing all over your website.  Both are illegal of course, and your description of a DDoS is a good one.  For anyone that doesn't know, it stands for Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) when it's multiple zombie computers attacking you, or if it's coming from one place it's a Denial of Service (DoS).  The end result is the same, but the locations for the attack differ.

If you're wondering what a "zombie computer" is, it's one that has been compromised by the downloading and installation of malware that is capable of receiving instructions from its creator to go out and make multiple connections to their target site.  The owners may not know their machines are compromised, although these things do tend to be a bit unstable, slow internet or other weird behaviours.  That's why it's important to keep your anti-virus and malware software up to date, and choose one that also scans for otherwise invisible "rootkits" that can evade detection unless you know how to find them.  Those last ones are insidious and particularly nasty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The owners may not know their machines are compromised, although these things do tend to be a bit unstable, slow internet or other weird behaviours.  That's why it's important to keep your anti-virus and malware software up to date, and choose one that also scans for otherwise invisible "rootkits" that can evade detection unless you know how to find them.  Those last ones are insidious and particularly nasty.

That's a scary paragraph to read.

Duncan B

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

That's a scary paragraph to read.

It pays to be very cautious about what you click on, even if it looks innocuous enough, and even if it appears to come from a friend or acquaintance.  There are some devious people out there that have had years to perfect their arts of deception, so you have to keep your wits about you.  It doesn't really help that the authorities are all burying their heads in the sand about this kind of thing because it's "too difficult", hoping that it'll go away, but when we realise that some of these same people are probably being used by one political side or another to sway votes and opinions, it's not surprising that there's little being done about it.  Those same Zombie Computers that are doing a DDoS one day might be doing a Twitter astroturf campaign tomorrow. :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Ive been told a different term with that description. Ive been told it was "Spiked" and I've had a computer spiked before. My last laptop would start doing stuff, and i couldn't stop it or fix it. So eventually i shut it down pulled the battery and recycled it. 

Dennis

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive been told it was "Spiked" and I've had a computer spiked before.

I've not heard that description before, so TIL.  Sorry you had to put up with that :S If you can explain a little about how it happened, that might help others avoid that fate. :)

• Like 1

Sure Mike, i think it happened visiting a questionable site of course. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary for a while. I even checked my antivirus twice a day and it never registered anything. One day while out and about on Google doing some research my keyboard ceased to function ? I tried to re-boot and nothing. While in the process of rebooting the computer was being used remotely as it was checking into various websites with out me touching the keyboard. I assume it was live operator doing this. However your idea of a zombie computer could also match the description. After 10-15 minutes of watching my computer link to other sites some of which were shall we say odd i pulled the plug and pulled the battery. It seemed the only way to break the connection.

The next day i tried to reactivate and once back into google it started to happen again. So at that point i called a friend of mine who described it as "Spiking" where a remote operator controls your computer. He said the only way to fix it was to completely wipe the computer clean and install new programs. Though there was no guarantee that would work. Something about the other end recognizing when your computer was connected to the web. The whole thing is kind of like when you have apple tech do a remote connection to fix something. Only in this case you didn't give them permission to do it. In the end I opted to just get rid of a 16 month old $800 laptop because it was only used for research, storing music, and photo's. I hope this makes sense as I'm not really computer savvy, and the language associated with them isn't in my daily use. 

Dennis

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike said:

That's a bit of a tomayto/tomato kind of thing, as they're both hacking, but we perhaps associate the word "hacking" with script kiddies drawing all over your website.  Both are illegal of course, and your description of a DDoS is a good one.  For anyone that doesn't know, it stands for Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) when it's multiple zombie computers attacking you, or if it's coming from one place it's a Denial of Service (DoS).  The end result is the same, but the locations for the attack differ.

If you're wondering what a "zombie computer" is, it's one that has been compromised by the downloading and installation of malware that is capable of receiving instructions from its creator to go out and make multiple connections to their target site.  The owners may not know their machines are compromised, although these things do tend to be a bit unstable, slow internet or other weird behaviours.  That's why it's important to keep your anti-virus and malware software up to date, and choose one that also scans for otherwise invisible "rootkits" that can evade detection unless you know how to find them.  Those last ones are insidious and particularly nasty.

Thing is you can run just one firewall at a time and multiple anti-virus programs. I certainly wouldn't ever just rely on one anti-virus program yet i do know some that do along with the standard MS firewall which only blocks infected traffic one way (inbound) supposedly.

Bare minimum people need a firewall that blocks dodgy doings inbound and outbound, plus at least 2 AV programs running scans weekly.

16 minutes ago, smackers said:

Thing is you can run just one firewall at a time and multiple anti-virus programs. I certainly wouldn't ever just rely on one anti-virus program yet i do know some that do along with the standard MS firewall which only blocks infected traffic one way (inbound) supposedly.

Bare minimum people need a firewall that blocks dodgy doings inbound and outbound, plus at least 2 AV programs running scans weekly.

I've heard that you shouldn't run more than one anti-virus program at a time because they can interfere with each other.

Anyway, I don't need to worry. A nice Indian man from Microsoft phoned me and told me my computer was infected, so I let him load an antivirus program that he assured me would take care of everything. That doesn't explain why my bank account is empty though - must be a mistake.

(That second paragraph is a complete lie, in case you were wondering!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

Thats not right. One firewall but you can run as many anti-virus as you like. I have 2 anti-virus running at all times with no ill effect plus another i just use for scanning to be triple sure.

Edited by smackers

26 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I've heard that you shouldn't run more than one anti-virus program at a time because they can interfere with each other.

The key word in that sentence is can.  I don't think it's 100% guaranteed, and I'd imagine most mainstream AV products will be well aware of the footprint of their competitors.  The issue is that AV software sometimes needs to operate on files in a similar way to a virus, so it can be flagged by another app.  Also, abortions like Norton and to an extent McAfee (although this may have changed) are so resource heavy that they'd have your machine chugging.  I remember back in the day when I got sick of Norton and uninstalled it in favour of Eset.  My machine flew along by comparison and the stability was much improved.  That was a really long time ago though. :nerd:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, smackers said:

Thats not right. One firewall but you can run as many anti-virus as you like. I have 2 anti-virus running at all times with no ill effect plus another i just use for scanning to be triple sure.

Good to know, and I understand why when you install a new anti-virus, they tell you to disable any other ones you may have already installed...

Cunning!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

The key word in that sentence is can.  I don't think it's 100% guaranteed, and I'd imagine most mainstream AV products will be well aware of the footprint of their competitors.  The issue is that AV software sometimes needs to operate on files in a similar way to a virus, so it can be flagged by another app.  Also, abortions like Norton and to an extent McAfee (although this may have changed) are so resource heavy that they'd have your machine chugging.  I remember back in the day when I got sick of Norton and uninstalled it in favour of Eset.  My machine flew along by comparison and the stability was much improved.  That was a really long time ago though. :nerd:

DO NOT MENTION NORTON EVER AGAIN!!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, smackers said:

One firewall but you can run as many anti-virus as you like.

Ah, that's probably what I was thinking of. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, FPDPenguin said:

I don't understand why some one would want to attack a modelling forum. 

There are some really unpleasant stupid people out there!