1/144 Minicraft Delta Air Lines DC-8-61

What a superb DC-8, beautifully built and finished. Those JT3D engines really alter the look, improving what is already the No.2 * most beautiful jet airliner ever built.

Cheers

John

*In case you need to ask, It's the VC-10.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, Viking said:

What a superb DC-8, beautifully built and finished. Those JT3D engines really alter the look, improving what is already the No.2 * most beautiful jet airliner ever built.

Thank you, John! I agree...the JT3D engines scream "nostalgic!" My first ride on a DC-8 was a -61; I was too young to really appreciate it. Special place in my heart for these old grand birds. Yeah, I'll acknowledge your preference to the VC-10......a beautiful airplane for sure....among many others. 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:15 AM, Hobo said:

Absolutely incredible finish. Do you buff the white in order to get a smoother finish? Stunning work.

Thank you! No, I did not buff the white for the finish. I prepped the fuselage carefully, with lots and lots of sanding, including some wet sanding with a very fine grit. Then primed using Tamiya gray surface primer. Some modelers prefer the white primer when using white paint, I just prefer the gray...it allows me to see an uneven finish and tune it up properly. Next, I spray Tamiya TS-26 pure white in small applications...so that the paint has a little time to coagulate and prevent any runs. Takes patience and time to completely spray to get a good finish, then allow a long time...I allowed at least a week...for curing. After all this, no more touching the painted surfaces with bare hands. I always wash, sometimes two or three times, my hands well and dry well, then don clean cotton gloves and handle as little as possible. Damaged finishes by fingerprints or dirty hands just lead to needless huge frustration.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm sorry I somehow missed this but what an incredible build, the wings are absolutely incredible! I'm thinking of doing a DC8 soon as your thread is going to be really useful

Phil

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 3:45 AM, phil1 said:

I'm sorry I somehow missed this but what an incredible build, the wings are absolutely incredible! I'm thinking of doing a DC8 soon as your thread is going to be really useful

Phil

Thank you, Phil. This one was a joy to build...the Minicraft kit is truly a welcome addition to the DC-8 model builders' bench. Everything fits so well, and with the exception of just a small handful of misfits, the kit is quite good. Be very aware...and you can see this in the work in progress post I made here...the wings tend to be warped badly, but not so bad as to evade correction. With some patience, they can turn out quite nice. Check out the WIP...the link is at the very beginning of this post. 

Cheers!

Paul

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:37 AM, mitchem said:

Don't know how on earth I managed to miss this? Glad I caught it as it's spectacular to say the least :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

Thanks, Mike! 

Looks like you indeed did NOT miss it! Glad you got to see the post. It was a fun build. Hope you saw the work in progress, too...there's a link at the beginning of this post. Thank you for your kind words! 

Paul

On 4/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, Eric B. said:

Hi

Congratulations, this is a fantastic build..

Really awesome result. I love it..

Eric B.

Thank you, Eric! I appreciate your kind words. Really glad you like it! I truly enjoyed this one...took a while to gather everything needed to do a -61, but patience paid off! Hope you were able to take a look at the work in progress as well...there's some detail there that isn't included here. 

Regards!
Paul

Great job on one of the, to me, best fitting kits of all time.  The 1/48 Tamiya F-14A of airliners (engineering-wise.)

Sorry you had such a hassle with warped wings.  Luckily, mine were straight.  

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 5:19 PM, Ad-4N said:

Sorry you had such a hassle with warped wings.  Luckily, mine were straight.  

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, both of the Minicraft kits I have, including this one, have warped wings. Next build, at least I’ll be a little ahead in knowing what will need to be done to straighten them. Glad hours weren’t warped. Happy modeling! 

🤔...just scratching my head to figure out how I did miss your DC-8 build the first time around....

Awesome model with lots of details.Superbly build.

You really did justice to her elegance

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:07 AM, Alex1978 said:

🤔...just scratching my head to figure out how I did miss your DC-8 build the first time around....

Awesome model with lots of details.Superbly build.

You really did justice to her elegance

Haha! Thank you, Alex! I always appreciate your fine work...to be noticed by you, even if you’re “scratching your head,” is quite a welcomed compliment! She was fun to build, especially converting the -71 kit to the -61, which gave a large challenge throughout the process. Cheers! 

17 hours ago, PranayKumar99 said:

The build quality, finish and detail are all SUPERB!! Love the finish on the wings!! very realistic sir!

Thanks so much! The Minicraft DC-8 is a very good kit, which makes it relatively easy to finish it well. And the Delta widget livery is my favorite on this particular airplane. Really appreciate your kind words.