1/72 - Chengdu J-20/S "Mighty Dragon" by DreamModel - J-20 released - new J-20S (two-seater) variant

Homebee

28 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

Based on..?

Electronics and data "fusion."

It's one thing to have a "stealthy" airframe.  It's quite another to have that AND have the ability to detect the enemy, share that tactical information, cue other weapons platforms as necessary to engage that enemy, and to engage it yourself all without being detected.

No one else in the world has that sort of capability aside from the US.  And the US has it because it's spent decades and billions and billions of dollars developing it.

The Chinese or the Russians can come up with some truly slick looking "stealthy" airframes but the key is in the electronics and being able to share the information from all the other sensors on all the other platforms in the battlespace.

With the F-35 - who's avionics suite is even more advanced than the F-22's - this could mean that the F-35s could be cued about an incoming Chinese stealth aircraft while it's still so far away that the PLAAF machine hasn't detected the Lightning II.  The F-35 could've picked that info up from satellites, drone aircraft, other F-35s or F-22s ahead of it, and or the larger sensor suites aboard AWACs birds or ground units or Navy ones.  The F-35 then pops off a couple of advanced air to air missiles and suddenly that J-20 pilot has got multiple lethal problems coming at him from "out of nowhere" and hasn't ever even seen the F-35 on his scopes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Based on..?

Based on the fact that America has never produced a lemon!

51 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Thanks Madoc. Couldn't have said it better myself!🤗

Word!

• Haha 1

Looks like an F-35 that's blowing up behind the Mighty Dragon — probably got shot down by a US Patriot battery, as they're good at blue-on-blue. 

Nice looking kit, but is that a clear canopy bubble and separate frame in grey? I find those give ugly joins, but maybe the frame is an inner detail-up part (?) Can't tell until we see the clear sprue.

Tony 

12 hours ago, B.sin said:

Based on the fact that America has never produced a lemon!

Word!

I'm sure you're joking but, if not, here are some US lemons (granted none are recent):

F7U Cutlass

F3H Demon

A-12 Avenger

F-111B

SB2C Helldiver (at least initially) 

TBD-1 Devastator

F2A-3 Buffalo

There is something of a US Navy theme here although I'm reminded that the prototype F-102 couldn't go supersonic until they area-ruled the fuselage.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

The Finnish  did very well with the Buffalo .

Yes, but they did exponentially better with the 109s.

Which means the Buffalo was actually holding them back 

This two-part video sums it up nicely: 

Sorry for an off-topic post!

3 hours ago, warhawk said:

Yes, but they did exponentially better with the 109s.

Which means the Buffalo was actually holding them back 

This two-part video sums it up nicely: 

One of the worst youtube channels ever.

See what Pappy boyington says:

https://www.warbirdforum.com/pappy.htm

Edited by Mike Esposito
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Based on..?

Of course it's based on this photo F-22:

690859_original.jpg

691181_original.jpg

691651_original.jpg

691308_original.jpg

from Oshkosh....or

on this photo F-22 over the Middle East:

692365_original.jpg

https://afirsov.livejournal.com/465721.html#comments

.....of course F-35:

7055296.jpg

other than F-22...yepp...

https://propjet.ucoz.ru/forum/6-107-8#33096

MFi7rlSNmk4.jpg

https://cont.ws/@su-35/1073800

20 hours ago, Madoc said:

Electronics and data "fusion."

Did you just write this from a computer, mobile, notebook or tablets whose microelectronics is made in the USA?  Or is it still in China?

B.w. power spar F-22 / F-35 not from Russian titanium maked?

20 hours ago, Madoc said:

And the US has it because it's spent decades and billions and billions of dollars developing it.

That is, if the shareholders and management of the company put more money in their pocket than the management and shareholders of another ..... then the products of the first company are absolutely better?

🤔😲😁

It is possible that "American worker John" earning $ 15 per hour on the F-35 assembly line, and "China worker Lee" earning $ 1 per hour on the J-20 assembly line, makes electronics, aerodynamics, speed, range and payload of the F-22/F-35  in 15 times more than  J-20?

😲😁

However, you can argue completely hoarse about how the F-22 / F-35 will shoot down all the Chinese J-10/J-11/J-20, but in reality, China has already won.

Because while my children* study sewing, British children study bees:

American children dream of being a blogger ..... Chinese children dream of being astronauts:

notanastronaut.jpg

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/american-kids-would-much-rather-be-youtubers-than-astronauts/

....but of course victory in Twitter/ YouTube more important than a lunar base or landing on Mars...yeppp

8 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Got the earlier Trumpeter version, so this later more detailed kit is a must have. 

Trumpeter have two version J-20 early (first prototype) and late with IRST, new canopy e.t.c.

Therefore, until there is a good comparison late Trumpeter v.s. Dream Model no sense buy "serial" J-20....I've already bought first prototype J-20 from Trumpeter, between prototype and serial J-20 are not many strong differences.  And why do I need two J-20s now?

🤗

B.R.

Serge

* - b.w. how many young modeller's in age 14-16 years  user Britmodeller??? ...Scalemodels??? How many young modeller's who maked & display own models on show you see??? ....very little???

Why? No interesting for young???

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Zhuhai airshow last year in November where I was able to see the J-20's in action.  It sparked my interest in this airplane.  I have to say it looked mighty impressive.

I'm absolutely not an expert on the topic, but I think if you look where the Chinese were 10 or 15 years ago and where they stand now, it would be foolish not to take them seriously... Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand, their 'weakest link' in fast jet design is mainly engine manufacturing rather than electronics, no? 

Anyway, I would like to see this kit upscaled to 1/48... That would be a massive beast!! 😬

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

Most big problem all decal for Chinese aircraft this is the lack of a sufficient amount of stencil.

J-8-II , J-10 A/B & JH-7 have many original Chinese  stencil in reality, but you don't see this stencil on Trumpeter decals.

I don't know how many stencil on real J-20, but I don't see their on Dream Model decal!

44 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand, their 'weakest link' in fast jet design is mainly engine manufacturing rather than electronics, no? 

You absolutely wrigh! Chinese have  problem with heat resistant materials for jet engine blades. Yes, they do not have their own design school, but there are many of them, they are very diligent and sooner or later the quantity will turn into quality.

44 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

I'm absolutely not an expert on the topic, but I think if you look where the Chinese were 10 or 15 years ago and where they stand now,

...10 or 15 (O.K. 20- 30!) years ago there was not even such a thing as models  mould in China! 😁

Yes, there was something, but it was not so serious compared to Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell...but now who say what a GWH, Trumpeter, HobbyBoss e.t.c. it's no serious?

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

1 hour ago, guillaume320 said:

(...) Anyway, I would like to see this kit upscaled to 1/48... That would be a massive beast!! 😬 (...)

Just a matter of patience: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994047-148-chengdu-j-20-mighty-dragon-by-trumpeter-release-in-2019-2020/&do=findComment&comment=3230519

J20.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1