Has Model Cars Magazine stopped publishing?

Noel Smith

Over the last couple of years or so, Model Cars Magazine, an American publication deliveries to subscribers appear to be getting worse.

I heard that only about 2 or 3 copies have been going out per year since late 2016.       Is the magazine about to fold? 

Perhaps American users of this forum may be able to enlighten us?

there hasn't been anything published in quite some time. the forum seems to be populated by those who fawn over the owner and his departed right hand. fund raising/ crowd funding appears to continue with the naysayers having threads deleted or banishment.

the IPMS forum had some observations of late, as did Scale Motorcars.

https://forum.ipmsusa3.org/topic/19966-has-model-cars-magazine-finally-gone-under/

the moderators asked for comments to stop here: http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/general-discussion/130100-model-cars-magazine-survive.html  

Gregg as owner always had financial struggles carrying the magazine and site as well as his own physical disabilities. Things got much worse with the passing of Harry who was essentially the entire editor of both. Very sad.

GT40-COVER-II.jpg

Edited by Codger

I think the sticking point is people sending money in good faith for subscriptions and getting nothing but excuses. and this has gone on in declining manner for 5 years. a substantial number of forum members freely admit they don't buy the magazine. then there are the members who claim they would pay to keep the forum alive. it's not a place for positive reinforcement unless you're a yes boy and intend to fawn over.

• 1 month later...

By the sound of things Model Cars Magazine's current difficulties are being exacerbated by subscribers lack of confidence due to the extremely poor output of what is purporting to be a commercial magazine. Last I heard was that Gregg H. made it from Hawaii to the GSL in Salt Lake City this year to promote the magazine and also sell life time subscriptions? Maybe it is high time to sell the title on to an established publisher who may be able to turn it around despite the growing loss in confidence over the last few years. Despite their forum being very active I fear that the we are witnessing the terminal demise of what used to be a good magazine. Kalmbach I cannot see being in the least interested despite rumours that I have heard as they already publish a very good magazine in Scale Auto, so it would really be up to another publisher to step in and fill the void. Gregg H is adamant in carrying on running MCM in its entirety as far as I am aware, so unfortunately things will in all probability just carry on as they are unless something really drastic happens.

• 2 months later...

Last I heard was that issue 206 was printed and distributed, a contest issue of just photos and captions. The late Harry P is believed to have been the real force behind putting model cars magazine together. It will be interesting to see when or if edition 207 makes it into print after possibly only just the one copy 206 made it into print this year. Subscribers must be losing confidence now and will probably not renew, hastening its demise unfortunately, unless of course another publisher takes the magazine on and gets it back on track with a new team at the helm.