Entex 1937 Packard Formal Sedan

Packards are my all time favorite cars. I built this kit as a teenager and remember how the fit, finish, and level of detail was incredible to anything I built prior. This kit was purchased partially built, and think it will be a good way to hone what skills I may have retained, and learn some new ones while I jump back into modelling. 

48311102331_36047132e7_c.jpgEntex 1937 Packard

Note the gas filler was installed upside down.

48311106566_ef22cf54e7_c.jpgUntitled 

Broken outriggers and bumper mounts front and rear, glue fingerprints, and a very sad looking V12.

48427287586_31f4f00b03_c.jpgUntitled 

Red Sharpie makes quick work of the hubcaps and bumpers - but I needed magnifiers to do it, and have to pick out the lettering with silver.  Twelves had all red on the hubcaps, the box art and instructions show to paint them with a black surround - only used on the Super Eights, which also had different bonnet side details as well.  Just a bit of info that I didn't know at 14...

48427284396_504b17eafe_c.jpgUntitled 

Happy to accept advice on making that paint shine. I don't plan on clearcoating, just putting the dark blue on has been stressful enough. The radiator surround is due for another coat.

48427417652_32c65f1db6_c.jpgUntitled 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Getting the interior painted up, I used a Rustoleum gray primer for this. The seats were already built, so I took the mold part lines off where I could. When I went to test fit the wheels to the tires the whitewalls cracked on two of them; if someone has a tip to lessen the visual impact of that I'm happy to give it a try. Otherwise, I'll just mount them on one side of the car. Found a smaller scale Solido Packard Formal Sedan in the local antique shop to mess with later.

48595991146_cc0cf320a1_c.jpg

48596129867_df0be3bac8_c.jpg

48596129872_cd0ffed47b_c.jpg

48311221917_7a96418169_c.jpg

Edited by Coventrycat
  • Like 3

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these kits for a while now.  However this is the first build thread I have seen for one, so following with great interest!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, Paul H said:

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these kits for a while now.  However this is the first build thread I have seen for one, so following with great interest!

It seems to be feast or famine with them. I found this one by luck, and later a sealed kit on eBay. I hope to keep you amused! 

The only ones I have seen in the UK are always rather expensive.  The roadster one seems to be much more easily available in comparison, and I managed to find one of those for sensible money a while back.  This 1:16 series seems pretty impressive even now, and must have been amazing when originally created!  Btw, the roadster one I have came with a mag article from when the kit was launched about building it - if of interest, I can scan & email to you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 5:01 PM, Paul H said:

The only ones I have seen in the UK are always rather expensive.  The roadster one seems to be much more easily available in comparison, and I managed to find one of those for sensible money a while back.  This 1:16 series seems pretty impressive even now, and must have been amazing when originally created!  Btw, the roadster one I have came with a mag article from when the kit was launched about building it - if of interest, I can scan & email to you?

That’d be great Paul, thanks!

If you are having trouble with the pen, for really fine stuff where the 'chrome' sits at a higher level than the surround, I've often found it easier to paint up to the chrome with a fine brush in the background colour. It may need a couple of coats to hide the shininess, but might be worth a try before you strip the whole thing - if you don't like the result you can always strip it anyway :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does time fly. I’ve managed to refurbish the chassis and drivetrain the best I could with what I was presented with. Some parts were missing, like the fan and gearbox cover which I just made from card stock. I stripped things back as much as I could though some pieces were glued firmly and I would have wrecked them trying to get them apart. I’ll need to make some bumper mounts, too. I think it came out ok, and I’m not going to be looking underneath when it’s done anyway. 

49180427726_5544be2611_b.jpg

49180639862_da36f85789_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...