F256 Missing Lynx reprise - l'Aeronavale Prototype ++FINISHED++

nimrod54

On 19/09/2019 at 21:41, Rabbit Leader said:

Incredible detailing there John, will you at least leave one of the doors open so that you can take a peak and marvel at your work on occasion? Excellent stuff! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks very much Dave, but you are still a wicked man. With a short amount of time left in the GB, you go and make an off the cuff suggestion of opening a door in the full knowledge that I am now going to go away and have a look at the possibility of doing that. For future reference, I would be grateful if you could kindly keep these types of suggestion to yourself. :winkgrin:

At first glance the main issues would be cutting the opening in the glazing, and how far would I want to go with the rest of the cockpit detailing. :frantic:

• Haha 3

As stated previously, I made a start on a door yesterday and the first job was to tape the clear part in place and outline the door opening with more tape. I then cut out a door shape from a small piece of thin plastic sheet and added some framing to the back of this using 10 thou plastic strip. The window openings were cut to a rough shape before further refinement, leaving a small lip to support some clear acetate once the part has been painted.

The door outline on the clear part has been taped up

48768715578_75f10e0cce_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The door after some initial fine tuning, I'll give it a final tidy up once I have cut out the opening.

48769046971_0d6ca41537_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And here is a shot of the door held in a rough position with some Tacky Wax.

48769246852_9e615c3e7f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

Hi John,

what you do to these antediluvian kits never ceases to astound me! Absolutely brilliant!

Do be careful nonetheless of shady characters who may try to lead you astray...

I was told that @Rabbit Leader was in town. If he ever mentions a tail rotor folding (his favorite party trick), run!!!

Great show !

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It’s all encouragement @jean. Perhaps it’s just a fatherly thing that’s still hanging around after telling my two ‘Rabbit Spawn’ to “Hava go” all the time! Now should I ever be in town, let’s all meet up at Pete’s wall for a pint or two. Bring your Mongoose along to play with the cats, that’ll be entertaining! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hi Dave,

Perhaps we should invite David Attenborough along as we seem to have a great interest in wildlife these days - perhaps he could tell us about the Airfix Dinosaur kits and Bullfinches! Wall's a bit too low to rest your pint on Dave - you will get back ache bending down for it, assuming the cats don't knock it over or drink it first. I suppose on paper the Mongoose should win but I believe the cats are a lot bigger and they hunt as a team. No wish to find out as I am quite fond of them - well most of the time. Our second cat might have been crossed with a Mongoose - his mother was wild and he would attack anything - including a neighbour's Great Dane cross ( he won every time). He was called Lenny when we got him, but we called him Loony for obvious reasons.

PS - lovely work John!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the comments guys, I have cut the door opening in the clear part and primed the body ready for paint. This means that the folded tail section is a non-starter on this occasion, but should the missing clear parts put in an appearance at some point, then it could be a possibility on the NOVO kit. 

• Like 4

Just a quick photo update to support the above.

Here is the clear part with the door area removed and the scratch replacement temporarily held in position with Tacky Wax.

48793072043_3032f62c44_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And the model with a primer coat on, this has since had a light sanding followed by a first coat of Humbrol Midnight Blue applied with a hairy stick.

48793436436_f4e68ea29b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

Hi John,

superb............................................................................... as always!

By the way, what is Tacky Wax? I am not ashamed to proclaim my ignorance... Oh, alright, a little bit ashamed!

Cheers

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

On 25/09/2019 at 16:49, jean said:

Hi John,

superb............................................................................... as always!

By the way, what is Tacky Wax? I am ashamed to proclaim my ignorance... Oh, alright, a little bit ashamed!

Cheers

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your kind comment. As for Tacky Wax, it is a Deluxe Materials product that I find useful to help with positioning small parts when gluing them in place, especially if they are in a spot that is hard to reach. You have to make sure that you take care to remove it before painting, which can be done with soap and water.

48794059747_a594f19684.jpg

I usually rub a bit on a cocktail stick then use that to pick up the part, it is also useful to hold parts temporarily in position when testing the fit as with the door in this case. To be fair tweezers will do a lot of the jobs that this does but when your mouth is already holding something and you need an extra hand this helps. 

All of the figures on this 1/144 scale EA-18G launch scene are held in place with Tacky Wax.

42704968484_143a7e05e2.jpg42704969674_33b10491c6.jpg

Regards

John

• Like 9

On 26/09/2019 at 21:52, Paul Bradley said:

That's really coming along nicely, John!

Cheers Paul, and thanks again for providing the link to what I think is probably the only image of FZKCV.

On 26/09/2019 at 22:24, AdrianMF said:

Very nice door surgery. Blue and yellow is a challenging scheme but it looks good so far!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks a lot Adrian, the door surgery went better than I thought but the clear plastic seems softer than usual, so it was easier to cut. The blue paint went on well, however, after checking the model over yesterday, I realised that I hadn't painted the top of the cabin. I have sorted that out and hope to get the yellow on soon.

On 27/09/2019 at 04:31, zebra said:

Looking great John. Might have to look out for tacky wax, looks like useful stuff.

Cheers Julian. I find Tacky Wax most useful when I am building 1/144 scale models especially if dealing with tiny parts which often end up pinging out of tweezers.

• Like 3

On 28/09/2019 at 15:58, Hockeyboy76 said:

It’s coming along nicely dude. Looking forward to seeing what panels get opened next :bandit:

Cheers H, I'm sorry to report that there won't be anything else opened on this one though.

Progress has been steady over the past week despite domestic life trying to slow things up. The yellow has been brushed on and a couple of coats of clear applied over this. I have also painted up the rotors and I am in the process of painting the tail. Undercarriage legs have also received their blue colour and are fixed in position, and I have made a start on painting the instrument panel details. I will need to look at the positioning of that when I get around to fixing it in place, the current position means that it would be impossible to fit any controls, but if I can push it towards the nose a little, I hope that I can at least add a couple of scratched cyclic controls and maybe some pedals,

48842429702_e824e052bd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48841880728_fa4e99259c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have purchased this Eduard Brassin set to replace the kit torpedos and these will be a great improvement.

48842251626_fe095ab432_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

There is still plenty of work to do but with the time extension this will make it over the line.

• Like 11

Looking very nice John.

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

I have purchased this Eduard Brassin set to replace the kit torpedos and these will be a great improvement.

Eduard Brassin sets really are very good, they will enhance the kit considerably.

• Like 1

Brush painted the yellow you say? That’s lovely work and the AM torps look the part. This is shaping up into another special build so (as always) watching on from afar. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1