1904 Mercedes - A tale of Flying Cars and other Stuff

HansReggelsen

59 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

If you could find some aerial view of a 'period' cityscape, that might look cool on the base.

Sure would and I have searched the 'net for it, but the photos I could find were in black'n white!Ā :hmmm:

But I found a beautifull shot of Eibsee by Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Bavaria that I intend to use.Ā :D

But enough yakity-yak from me - it's time to get some building done and pass on some pictures on the net!Ā :winkgrin:

spacer.png

Cheers for nowĀ :bye: - and with any luck the primer will be pouring tonight!Ā :winkgrin:

Hans J

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

Monday!Ā :D

Ā 

First things first - an apology for the lack of updates in the weekend, but my internetconnection broke down saturdayĀ :weep:Ā  but the repairman has just left and I'm back!Ā B)

But that means, that today I have a magnificent offer for you: Three updates for the price of one!

First - the basic paintjob on the aerocar is done:Ā :lol:

spacer.png

Next up is the painting of the wings:Ā :D

spacer.png

And at last how the Aerocar looks now:Ā :D

spacer.png

I chose to paint the headlights in gloss white.

Ā 

CheersĀ :bye:

Hans J

Ā 

• Like 2

Love that color scheme!

As to 'weather or not to whether' (sorry :banghead:)...I'd say to keep it on the subtle side. Any proudly-maintained flying kraft doing outside loops over the Eibsee should have a bit of 'gleam' to it!

20 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Love that color scheme!

As to 'weather or not to whether' (sorry :banghead:)...I'd say to keep it on the subtle side. Any proudly-maintained flying kraft doing outside loops over the Eibsee should have a bit of 'gleam' to it!

I think I agree with you - also the backstory is that the pilot is on the first flight so it wouldn't have a wellused look to it - but a little bit.....just a little......Ā :winkgrin:

Ā 

Hans J

Ā 

PS.....just an itsy bitsy teeny weeny....Ā :winkgrin:

PPS ..Have I mentioned that the pilot/inventors name is Bernhard Manfred Wassertropfen?

Edited by HansReggelsen

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

I think I agree with you - also the backstory is that the pilot is on the first flight so it wouldn't have a wellused look to it - but a little bit.....just a little......Ā :winkgrin:

Ā 

Hans J

Ā 

PS.....just an itsy bitsy teeny weeny....Ā :winkgrin:

I'm in hearty agreement!

On a quasi-serious technical (or technique-al) note, , I like to do what I've always called (for lack of a precise term) 'toning'...which is less about weathering per se, and more about trying to simulate the gossamer effects of natural light on an observed object. This usually includes slight alterations of color here and there to simulate glare and light falling at different angles and on different surfaces, as well as the usual tiny-edge shadows and such. Usually done through tedious dry-brushing, since it seems to offer a bit more control than an airbrush (unless it's a really large-scale model). The ideal is always to make it so subtle that an observer knows 'it' is there...without quite being able to tell what 'it' is.

(You might guess from the above that my earliest 'artistic' practice was in oil painting on canvas...a very useful skill-set to bring to modelling!)

Ā 

Anyway, enough blather about moi. Love what you're doing, and can't wait to see it evolve in all its glory!

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

PPS ..Have I mentioned that the pilot/inventors name is Bernhard Manfred Wassertropfen?

Well-known in the area around the Zugspitze as a family of drips. (I'll get my Mantel and leave quietly....)

• Haha 1

A small updateĀ :D

This is the aerocar with the wings installed:

spacer.png

..and how I plan on presenting it - an aerial view of Eibsee in Bavaria - hence the blue/white colourscheme of the aerocar!Ā :winkgrin:

spacer.png

Next up is the painting of Opa (Grandad!)Ā :)

Ā 

Hans J

• Like 2

Now that the Aerocar is all but done I'll turn my attention to the figure.Ā :D

Now in Denmark we have a saying that goes - almost - something like this:Ā  Without drink and food - the hero is no good!Ā :viking:

So I figured I couldn't send Opa (grandad) along on a ride without something to eat'n drink:Ā :winkgrin:

spacer.png

Now for some painting!Ā :winkgrin:

Ā 

Hans J

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

From his posture, it looks rather like Opa is raising a glass to have a little taste of 'Famous Wassertropfen Aero Emulsion' while at the wheel.

(That would certainly explain the expression of distinct amiability on the old gentleman's face. :D)

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

I also forgot to give you props for a nice subtle BMW logo snuck onto your Mercedes!

Well - his name is after all Bernhard Manfred Wassertropfen!Ā :winkgrin:

Ā 

Hans J

• Haha 2

Sunday! :yahoo:.....and the picnic is ready!Ā :eat:

Ā 

spacer.png

Apart from the basket it self and the winebottle everything else is 'homemade' (I understandĀ that this is importantĀ these days!)Ā :D

Ā 

Hans J

Monday!Ā :D

Ā 

I felt that Opa was a bit lonely so I decided ti give him a companion - I didn't have a catfigure, but I had a figure of a dog.Ā 

And so I give to you: FreƟsack!Ā :clap:

spacer.png

And here FreƟsack and Opa (Bernhard) are well underway in the painting proces.

spacer.png

Not far to go now!Ā :D

Ā 

Hans J

• Like 3

And so - alas - the end has come!Ā :weep:

Bernhard Manfred WaƟertropfen and his faithfull dog - FreƟsack - has taken to the skies in search of new adventures.Ā :)

I'm calling this one done:Ā :yahoo:

spacer.png

More pictures in RFI.

Ā 

Cheers and thank you for your patience and help throughout this venture.Ā :bye:

Hans J

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...