1904 Mercedes - A tale of Flying Cars and other Stuff

HansReggelsen

Hi all! :D

It's been a while, but I'm back with a little fun! :winkgrin:

I recently bought a couple of old Airfix 1/32 carkits, among those were this 1/32 1904 Mercedes. The kit had already been started and there were glue smears and the build wasn't that good, but it was cheap, so I thought 'why not'!

Now I've hatched a plan and I put this to you - what if - just with a stretch of imagination - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang wasn't a fantasy, but reality!

This is then set a couple of years after Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where the sight of flying cars isn't a novelty anymore!

So here we go (just for the fun of it!) :winkgrin:

The start:

spacer.png

The status quo:

spacer.png

Soeh! - let's see how this turns out - shall we?

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 6

Soeh! :D

At the risk of being accused of overthinking here's the princip of the engine (I drew that all by my little self! :winkgrin:)

spacer.png

These are some parts from the sparepartsbox: (I suppose we all have one? :hmmm:)

spacer.png

Hans J

PS I'll put every misspelling down to the fact of my youth! :lol:

Edited by HansReggelsen
Misspelling
  • Like 2

I am filled with admiration for your dynamic propulsion solution.

Dare I wave my spanner by wondering how you will meet the fuel stowage situation? (It doesn't seem likely to be an engine setup with a 'lean' setting on the throttle.)

Just asking.... :whistle:

9 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I am filled with admiration for your dynamic propulsion solution.

Dare I wave my spanner by wondering how you will meet the fuel stowage situation? (It doesn't seem likely to be an engine setup with a 'lean' setting on the throttle.)

Just asking.... :whistle:

Hi Thorfinn! :D

I'm making this up much as I go, but there is a fueltank included in the kit placed at the back of the car, and I intend to add one or more hidden away under the yet to be conctructed floor further forward as also to bring an element of balance into the equation. :lol:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

And now to the newly constructed floor: :)

spacer.png

I'm starting to hope I may get this finished in time for AROS Open the 7th & 8th september! :D

AROS Open is the local modelshow here in Aarhus. Let's see if I make it, shall we? :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 1

While I was taking a look at the Eduard F-4 I'm also currently building I noticed that the sprue containing the rear stabilators reminded me of something....:hmmm:

spacer.png

This could be a great basis for the wings! :D Well - what do you think?  I think I prefer the PZL-style....? :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 3

I think--given the sort of 'Edwardian elegance' of the base vehicle--that the PZL style is definitely more fitting.

(This project just gets better and better....! :dog:)

A friendly suggestion that just occurred to me:

If you were to alter your thread title slightly to reflect the...ahem...unconventional nature of your build, there might be more loonies (present company enthusiastically included) enjoying this fine process. (It's easy to miss at a quick glance that it's in the 'What If' category if--like myself--one always opens on the 'new content' page.) Just a thought....:elephant:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm....alter the title.....:hmmm:

While I ponder that here's the first testing of the wings. The more I look at it, the more I see influences of another idol of mine: Miyasaki! :D

spacer.png

Hans J

• Like 4

On 8/5/2019 at 2:51 PM, thorfinn said:

there might be more loonies

You called? 

Hans, A great idea. Miyasaki, Yes!

Could the new ears be headphones? 

I think I would put brass pipes out to where the wheels were with thrusters on the end for steering.

Keep taking he pills!

Pete

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I think I would put brass pipes out to where the wheels were with thrusters on the end for steering.

Keep taking he pills!

Pete

Thrusters....:hmmm:

More pills? - I think I'm taking enough as it is! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

How about 2 rudders connected to the steering? How about rear wheel steering with rudders on the mud guards for in flight steering and front wheel drive?

Not a bad idea! :D

My initial idea for the steering was some sort of rudders in connection with the propulsion a bit like the exhausts on the GR.1 Harrier, just external!

Does that make any sense? :hmmm:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Thanks 1

Thursday! :D

Went to bed late last night as the pondering of how to make the rudderassembly took longer than anticipated. :hmmm:

But here's my solution! Alas! - sleep came to me easily upon this most triumphant idea! :yahoo:

spacer.png

Hans J

• Like 2

...and then it hit me! :doh:

And when I regained consciousness I remembered where I'd seen the drivers face before: Tamiya's Churchill Tank! :lol:

So a quick beheading ensued and behold: a new headmaster! :yahoo:

spacer.png

Much better - and the Tamiya kit also has goggles! I'll give him a pair around the neck! :D

Hans J

• Like 4