This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Brad

In the wake of the Cricket World Cup, is anyone else watching The Ashes?

I guess there will be some late nights and sleepy days for me coming up. I think the Aussies are going to struggle to retain them, we haven't won a series in the UK since the early 2000's. Not quite happy with the team selections either, but oh well.

Not looking good so far - thank god Smith's there; he did at least make our first innnings look almost respectable ...

We all thought playing two of the three recently banned Aussies was going to fire up the Barmy Army, so why not hand them another long list of songs to sing by adding in (IMO) the main culprit? 

Honestly what were the Aussie selectors thinking? That’s the worst looking touring team I’ve seen in a long while. It just doesn’t look anywhere near as balanced as the English side, although I’m fully aware that cricket is a funny game and anything can happen. I know it’s only day 1  and there’s a lot of cricket left to play for.

Cheers.. Dave 

And another thing, why is it being televised (in Aus) on Standard Definition 9 Gem and not on Fox in HD? I don’t watch much Tele these days so when I do it’s nice to actually watch something in the quality that I’m prepared to pay for! 

Rant over.. Dave 

Australia were pretty rubbish yesterday and really only saved by Smith's wonder innings.

Let's see what happens today!

I love proper test cricket, so much more enthralling than the short game.

Proper Test cricket for a change.  I'm not having a go at other formats but as I'm painting the 16 panel garden fence it is the perfect accompaniment.  Great innings by Smith yesterday, but the crowd are enjoying themselves with their songs

Not watching, but I have BBC Test Match Special burbling away in the background while I work.

Rory Burns has done well!

Ray

Steve Smith is still behaving like the captain and moving players around the field.

One-nil. Australia starts winning first match.

6 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

One-nil. Australia starts winning first match.

Here we go again!😪

Have some people been playing that crickety thing? I hadn't noticed. Unless there's 800hp under the foot, and it travels at around 200mph, it doesn't register on my radar.:wicked:

John.

Cricket? Is that the sporting equivalent of such endlessly exciting activities like watching grass grow, or, paint drying?😉😴😴

Allan

Ah, I forgot I started this thread! About an hour or so after I made it, I came down ill with stomach pain that resulted in me spending over a week in hospital and having my gallbladder removed, so I missed all but day 1's play. I stupidly stayed awake all night in pain when what I should have done was get myself to emergency 24 hours before I actually did. Home now, feeling better and on the mend. Looking forward to game 2.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Brad said:

Ah, I forgot I started this thread! About an hour or so after I made it, I came down ill with stomach pain that resulted in me spending over a week in hospital and having my gallbladder removed, so I missed all but day 1's play. I stupidly stayed awake all night in pain when what I should have done was get myself to emergency 24 hours before I actually did. Home now, feeling better and on the mend. Looking forward to game 2.

Keyhole surgery ?

Edited by Mick4350

29 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Keyhole surgery ?

Yeh they punched 3 holes in me, pumped me full of gas, xrayed, zrayed and had me under like 5 hours. Had a BR count of 360+ when it's meant to be 24 or below. 

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

Yeh they punched 3 holes in me, pumped me full of gas, xrayed, zrayed and had me under like 5 hours. Had a BR count of 360+ when it's meant to be 24 or below. 

Its wicked to watching them pull the drain out the next day, no knock out gas.

Just watched Steve Smith take a nasty hit to the back of the head. That could have been serious, that's the area Phil Hughes was hit and died. I remember my old coach saying; never take your eye off the ball. In cricket, you might get hit in the helmet, but if you take your eye off the ball, you WILL get hit in the helmet. Also it's better to wear it in the helmet than  in the neck or jaw!

...everyone worrying about Smith, lets hope it hasn’t affected Archer  -   He looks quite a sensitive soul. My word though, his speed was fearsome .. fantastic afternoon’s play, your best batsman - possibly the difference between the two sides - hopping around like a cat on a hot tin roof! I can only recall one decent shot for four..

When does the next series start ?

Thursday. I think Smith will be ruled out. A mate took a hit to the head without a helmet last year and it put him out for a month.

43 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thursday. I think Smith will be ruled out. A mate took a hit to the head without a helmet last year and it put him out for a month.

I was going to say, remember cricket before the helmets?

That last match was exciting. Australia will be very different without Smith. He is really a one man team.

Warner's not helping him at all.  

21 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I was going to say, remember cricket before the helmets?

The competition I play in is looking at making helmets compulsory for senior cricketers but it's getting some resistance and I have to say, rightfully so. Many of the older blokes playing have never worn and refuse to wear one, even some of the younger guys at my club refuse to wear one. I believe it is their choice, plus Phil Hughes was wearing on when he was struck and died and Smith was wearing one too. I however have never and will never bat without one on. As an opener and a hooker and puller, I'm always at risk. Only been hit once in the grill by a bowler, but it undoubtedly saved my nose and teeth.