Lanchester Armoured Car - Russian Service

48371957846_c9b7b25da5_b.jpg

This is CSM's new version of their 1/35 Lanchester AC that was released in its original form a year or so ago. The updated kit represents the modified Lanchesters that were used during the Russian civil war, featuring a new rear deck with revised fenders, and the addition of a 37mm Hotchkiss gun in the turret. Aside from the new Russian specific parts, the rest of the kit is the same as the previous version, but with the welcome addition of clear lenses for the headlights, something that was missing from the first release.

In common with the original release, this version went together with no issues, and was a lot of fun to build and paint. Speaking of paint, CSM are refreshingly honest about the lack of contemporary info regarding the exact colour of these armoured cars. They suggest British Moss Green or Service Khaki as the most likely colour, and I went with AMMO Moss Green for this build, albeit with a lot of additional shading, fading and colour glazes.

48372087002_354b71fa71_b.jpg

48371956296_ff72d72e4d_b.jpg

48371955916_b4164360bc_b.jpg

48372085187_764ab0e3f9_b.jpg

48372084752_1cc0afa93b_b.jpg

48372084267_afbe879a3e_b.jpg

48372083677_df0efd780f_b.jpg

48371953396_2291acdbf2_b.jpg

48372082347_1569834654_b.jpg

48372086672_08f99b53d3_b.jpg

48372086342_042f44affb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

Superb once again Andy, I really do like looking at your paint and weathering work, and as usual your excellent photos show the model off to its best advantage!

Cracking job! :thumbsup:

Keith

PS do you have an explanation anywhere of how you do the colour glazes? Thanks :)

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

In common with the original release, this version went together with no issues, and was a lot of fun to build and paint.

And a fine job you've made of it. Nice one Andy.

John.

• Thanks 1

Looking at these 2 gorgeous models I think I'll quiety slip my unstarted WIP Lanchester back in the box until everyone has forgotten how good these are!

Nice to see some honesty in colour.  They were a bit less accurate with some of their locations and colours in the original kit (no Lanchesters ever went to Persia although some were in Armenia with RNAS).  Truth is, no-one knows with any accuracy what the colours were.  Russian cars were ex-RNAS and may still have been grey on delivery but may have been repainted.  Ultimately the RNAS ACEF cars were left behind for the Russians too.

No sign of the promised interior or engine add-ons for these kits yet. I wondered if they might vary the tyre pattern in the new kit.  Lanchesters and R-Rs were often seen with different tread patterns, especially a small checker-board pattern.  For a while it was believed that different patterns on the front wheels aided handling.  I keep hoping one of the resin companies will have a go as my hand scribing isn't remotely good enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.

On 01/08/2019 at 14:12, keefr22 said:

PS do you have an explanation anywhere of how you do the colour glazes? Thanks :)

Thanks Keith,

The colour glazing is very simple. Just acrylic paint (Vallejo works best) mixed with Vallejo glaze medium (other brands are available). It makes the paint more transparent without watering it down too much. It also acts as a drying retarder so the paint's less prone to leaving tide marks when dry.

You can see the effect being applied in the build of this kit here, and I also used the same technique on my Flyhawk FT-75 here

18 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

No sign of the promised interior or engine add-ons for these kits yet. I wondered if they might vary the tyre pattern in the new kit.  Lanchesters and R-Rs were often seen with different tread patterns, especially a small checker-board pattern.  For a while it was believed that different patterns on the front wheels aided handling.  I keep hoping one of the resin companies will have a go as my hand scribing isn't remotely good enough.

They still seem to be talking about releasing the interior set at some point. The Romfell is due out soon, and that's meant to include a full interior.

I'd seen the mismatched tyres on some photos, and they would look great on the model. Hopefully we'll see some released at some point.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Soeren said:

Did you try other media besides the glaze medium as well? I wonder if flow improver could be similar.

I've also got Vallejo's retarder medium, which is similar to flow improver. They all do essentially similar things, but each with its own properties. The retarder is thicker and more gel-like, so it doesn't alter the paint's consistency as much. The glaze medium is more watery, so thins the paint out more. You can also mix the two together, or with most other acrylic mediums. It's that versatility that's leading me to use acrylic weathering more often these days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kris B said:

Beautiful models Andy. Are you displaying them somewhere so I can see them in real?

Thanks Kris,

No, they're not currently on display anywhere. Maybe at some point in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...