1/48 Airfix Hunter F.6

Calum

Started the Airfix Hunter as a palette cleaner (TM) . Plus it is the 2020 NSW Scale Model Shows Airfix Cup subject.

It's a very straight forward build (excellent beginners kit IMHO. After about 3 hours I've got the fuselage together. Fit it is excellent. 

My only minor criticism is that there is no pilot :D Airfix usually include them .    I've used one from Hasegawa Hornet . Not accurate I know but close enough considering what you'll see, it's close enough.

Plan is for in flight build, probably 12 Sqn wrap around camo

Hunter-01.jpg

Hunter-02.jpg

Hunter-03.jpg

Hunter-04.jpg

• Like 15

Good startCalum.

One  comment on the seat, if I may. The overhead pull handle on the single seater Hunter seat  was not the later “ spectacle “ type but a single “D” which was secured be a strap and pin on the ground, and removed before flight.

Looking forward to more.

John

:Tasty:  Calum, mate; how me envies you!

I still can't fathom why the local Airfix distributor hasn't brought this kit in the country, as it would sell as milk jam! The bloke behind counters at Dukel Hobbies shakes in fright everytime he sees me enter the store. I've spammed every and each of his publications on MercadoLibre (sort of a vernacular evilBay interface), asking him to bring the new Hunter kit.

Why doesn't he bring it, me wonders :hmmm:Will need to think a new approach (thinking of getting some spray cans to graffity the front of his store). :lol:

Tagging along for this one.

Yeh, me is...

:cheers:

Unc2

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter update. Assembly of the kit was pretty straight forward until I dry fitted the one piece canopy. This did not fit. Not sure if it was me (likely) but I'll be interested to hear from others that have used it. More on this when I get some photos to explain. 

Next was onto painting. At this stage I realised that my preferred scheme, the 12 Sqn wrap around scheme was no longer possible as I’d fitted the Sabrinas… I figured this out after I'd painted the base coat of Mr Color Dark Sea Grey lightened considerably. I love Mr Color paints but when  I used it on my Jaguar time  I found to dark for my taste for a 48 scale kit.

Hunter-05.jpg

So after mulling this over with a mate I decided to go with option 2, a aircraft from the Central Fighter Establishment deployed to the UAE in 1963. This has a yellow tail and spine. 

I couldn’t be bothered masking out the pattern so I just free-handed it. This probably isn’t entirely accurate as many Hunter images I’ve seen show quite a hard edged scheme. I’ve also weathered up the green, grey and silver a fair bit using various airbrush stencils with variations of the main colours .

Hunter-06.jpg

Hunter-07.jpg

• Like 14

Calum, 

I finished mine as  the very 12 Squadron machine you were thinking of. I nearly added the sabrinas but stopped myself. I would have expected the canopy issue to be  you having no problems and me having lots of  issues. In the end it just dropped into place. Is the canopy being fouled buy the top of the seat? Just a thought. 

I like your colour interpretations.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, Silver Fox said:

Calum, 

I finished mine as  the very 12 Squadron machine you were thinking of. I nearly added the sabrinas but stopped myself. I would have expected the canopy issue to be  you having no problems and me having lots of  issues. In the end it just dropped into place. Is the canopy being fouled buy the top of the seat? Just a thought. 

I like your colour interpretations.

It was the top of the seat fouling the canopy. I had first ruled that out as I couldn't see it fouling. But I forgot to take into account the thickness of the canopy.

So after you suggesting it again I figured I had to revisit it as that's really what it had to be. I put some paint on the top of the seat this time and put the canopy one. Sure enough it was touching as there was paint on the inside of the canopy. I pulled the seat/pilot out and sanded a couple of mm's from the bottom

Thanks mate . This was starting to annoy me  

Spent a bit of time working on the base. The blur base is from a photo I took during a flight in one the helicopter I used to look after.  I used Paintshop pro to blur it and then had it printed out on A3 card at the local printer. I then glued it to some core flute board. Probably could have made it a bit bigger but it'll do

The model paintwork has been finished 

Hunter-08.jpg

• Like 9

A big weekend of decalling - man there are some stencils. I reckon I spent 4 hours decalling

Thankfully the kit decals are superb. Up there with the best aftermarket sets I've used. No sign of silvering (That I've see ) even on the smallest stencil and even when I laid some over a matt area that I'd touched up and not gloss coated.I did use Micro Sol to set them onto the model.

I only used the large codes and serials from the Xtradecal set. I was going to paint them but laziness struck so I went with the decals. They appear to have worked well

I've just flat coated it so I'll let that go off for a day or so then apply some streaking and I reckon it'll be done.

Already thinking whats next

Hunter-09.jpg

Hunter-10.jpg

• Like 13

22 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

¡Traeme el Hunter!

:lol: I'm afraid I'm going to be more like: ¡Traeme el Hunter, carajo!

22 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Atte Unc2.

My code name to him is Némesis on MercadoLibre :coolio:

Speaking of which; I got across a Japanese bloke on ML who offered the Airfix Hunter kit to me, but looking a bit more into the publication, I found out that the kits are sent from a warehouse in Japan; hence, at $6000+ a kit, not only will I have to wait a lot until Customs releases my purchase, but also I will have to fill out the sworn declaration and pay the extra cash for those purchases exceeding the US$50 a month, and lest we forget about the $140 fee for the local post.

If you're interested, I'll post the link the publication here for you.

Cheers Fran!

Unc2 

• Haha 1