Revell 1/48 RAF Eurofighter Typhoon

gorgeous model.

I am currently serving in the RAF as a weapons instructor at RAF Coningsby. I have served on 6 Sqn Typhoon and currently teach all the armourers based here how to load the Typhoon. Also carried out the load trials for centurion (meteor, brimstone and Stormshadow). As previously said the Meteor is not currently carried on the wing stations (outboards) only on the belly stations. (DMMELs).

however that said i think your model is gorgeous and captures the used look of the Typhoon. Fantastic effort and model my friend. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KillerMig said:

The intake construction is quite poor, or it rather simply does not exist, as we discussed during WIP. One should spend some time for scratch-building or better cover it with a FOD cover. I did neither, hence the absence of head-on photos :)

As for flaperons... Yes, it seems I've done them wrong just because I assumed they would behave like on other many aircrafts and neglected to check with the references.

I did the exact same with the flaps on mine as well hahaha. Those rivets came out really well I think it was time well spent in my opinion.  I think because the inside of the aircraft is hollow the intakes are ok without the blanking plate and just left open. You should buy the 32nd scale Revell Typhoon, it's cheap but the shape is accurate unlike the square looking rear fuselage on the Trumpeter kit. The 32nd scale kit has the exact same detail as the 48th literally no different surface detail.  With scratchbuilding you could get a really fantastic model if you like the scale.

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KillerMig said:

Ahhh, now I see... I hadn't noticed before that the comment came from a "very obsessed member". OK, then I'll change them to blue, so everybody at home will sleep comfortably with the great relief that they are inert and won't explode. 

That it an  often  repeated  (and sometimes fatal ) mistake.  As I have in the past stressed  to my students many times,  Blue means they are Practice Rounds,   it does not mean they are inert.  A lot of practice bombs hit the round and go off with a flash and a puff of smoke as they contain  a spotting charge.  Stand in front of a gun loaded with  practice rounds and you have a good chance of being dispatched into the next world!  The only way to know if a munition is inert is that they have the word INERT or DUMMY  clearly marked on it. Some practice rounds are inert, a lot are not.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

3 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

I did the exact same with the flaps on mine as well hahaha. Those rivets came out really well I think it was time well spent in my opinion.  I think because the inside of the aircraft is hollow the intakes are ok without the blanking plate and just left open. You should buy the 32nd scale Revell Typhoon, it's cheap but the shape is accurate unlike the square looking rear fuselage on the Trumpeter kit. The 32nd scale kit has the exact same detail as the 48th literally no different surface detail.  With scratchbuilding you could get a really fantastic model if you like the scale.

Thanks Deano353.  32nd scale Typhoon of Revell is a kit I'm so long trying to find but it is not on the shelves anymore. If I get my hands on one, I'll do lots of scratchbuilding as well as riveting and of course keep the flaperons upward :)

• Like 1

@KillerMig I built mine back in 2012, how time has flown! I sent this picture to finescale modeler which is how I remember how long ago it was. Here is mine with the flightpath brass ladder and a PJ Productions pilot. I would buy it again if I could to be fair as for the price I think it was £49.99 for a 32nd scale kit with accurate shape is a bargain, hopefully a re-release is on the way sometime.spacer.png

On 8/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, Edger said:

What significance does the 43 sqn. "Fighting Cock" zap have on this 29 sqn Tiffy? 

From memory the aircraft was visiting RAF Leuchars from Coningsby for a Families Day or Anniversary event at a time (well before Storm Shadow & Meteor were cleared for any Typhoon far less the Operational Conversion Unit) when the official RAF line was that Leuchars and its resident 43 and 111 Squadrons were safe from the axe hence the zap was supposedly the shape of things to come.

• Like 1