Sri Lankan MiG-17

Foxbat

<sigh> This build appears to be cursed. Ordered this decal sheet from Hannants in the middle of the week:

spacer.png

Some of the reds in the Sri Lankan markings are a bit washed out compared to the Carpena sheet but they looked usable, and if I replaced everything then the colour difference wouldn't matter. 

This is what actually arrived:

spacer.png

Sometime since Hannants posted their picture Print Scale have updated their sheet and replaced the Sri Lankan markings I do need with a lovely set of stencils that I don't because the Zvezda sheet in the kit has them covered. So no steps forward and one step back. 

There are 4 other Asian air forces covered on the sheet, but they're all from the 60s and 70s - none of them late enough for this GB 😕

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That is already very very bad luck... :(

they could have replaced the wrong Syrian ones instead...don't think they every flew in these markings... as that was united arab air forces back  then....

8 hours ago, Foxbat said:

There are 4 other Asian air forces covered on the sheet, but they're all from the 60s and 70s - none of them late enough for this GB 😕

Hold onto it, if I'm guessing right Craig will have another one of these builds covering those decades.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Sometime since Hannants posted their picture Print Scale have updated their sheet and replaced the Sri Lankan markings I do need with a lovely set of stencils that I don't because the Zvezda sheet in the kit has them covered. So no steps forward and one step back. 

Bugger!

That is a real PITA. Now I'm sure that Hannants would probably take the decals back but that does not solve your issue. Your biggest problem is the fact that you have an early Mig-17 with the small airbrakes, there are other operators in the scope of the GB such as Afghanistan but give me a couple of days and I will see what I can dig up.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hold onto it, if I'm guessing right Craig will have another one of these builds covering those decades.  

Dennis you read my mind, if there was enough interest I would indeed propose another Asin GB and the logical step would be either to the 90's or back to the 70's where there would be a lot of options for the Mig-17. 

Thinking of it I'm sure that North Korea still used their Mig-17's into the 80's, I'm just not sure if they used the early type.

• Like 1

I'll finish this one if it kills both of us 😂 I'll also be happy to use the rest of the sheet in any future GBs. That Cambodian one needs to be built for one. I've also got a dozen or so African schemes to be taken into consideration, even before the Airfix kit hits the shelves.

Andy

Bouncing back

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'll finish this one if it kills both of us 😂 I'll also be happy to use the rest of the sheet in any future GBs. That Cambodian one needs to be built for one. I've also got a dozen or so African schemes to be taken into consideration, even before the Airfix kit hits the shelves.

Andy

Bouncing back

Good to hear that Andy, though I'm not keen on us being the the most recent victims of Mig-17's for years!

Which of the Sri Lankan decals do you have left to apply? If it is just the red markings for the drop tanks would you be able to mask and paint them? If not then I'm sure that they could have flown them with tanks that didn't have the red markings.

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good to hear that Andy, though I'm not keen on us being the the most recent victims of Mig-17's for years!

Which of the Sri Lankan decals do you have left to apply? If it is just the red markings for the drop tanks would you be able to mask and paint them? If not then I'm sure that they could have flown them with tanks that didn't have the red markings.

Really, I've just got the port side of the nose to do (and two decals left to try it with) then the warning triangles which I can steal from the spares box. I'd like some decent serials, but I can put the patchy appearance and the holes in the fin flash down to weathering.

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement where I ring the changes and keep my MiG madness to acceptable limits :D 

Andy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement where I ring the changes and keep my MiG madness to acceptable limits :D 

Absolutely Andy, there is no point in going round the bend over serial numbers and damaged decals, as you say weathering can cover a whole range of issues and the shape and style of serial numbers often changes during an aircraft's service life so if you have something similar in the spares box then feel free to use them.

The poor thing is very tired, so Sshhhh, don't disturb it :D 

13 years in the sun have obviously had an effect on the paintwork of what was already a distinctly second hand airframe on the day it was delivered. It's a tribute to how tough these little fighters are that it was still flying at all. I've fought the decals to a standstill and between us we have reached this point, just the wheels, under carriage doors, canopy and aerials needed to finish her. That should happen this week.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note on the right the shattered remains of the nose flash decals that didn't quite make it, and the drop tanks lurking somewhere in the background.

You know, in a weird kind of way I'm still enjoying this - possibly because it's not a Tamigawa shake & bake. It takes me back to the old days when a model like this would have been produced by a company you'd never heard of and you'd have to lovingly carve it from a solid block of flash following black and white instructions with a choice of Czech, Polish or Russian text. The decals didn't break up, but then they were a couple of millimetres thick and yellowed as you opened the box on the bus home from the model shop.

Don't know we're born these days really :D 

Andy

• Like 3

Andy I think she looks good, certainly well used and worn but definitely good, especially considering the grief that the decals have given you.

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

You know, in a weird kind of way I'm still enjoying this - possibly because it's not a Tamigawa shake & bake. It takes me back to the old days when a model like this would have been produced by a company you'd never heard of and you'd have to lovingly carve it from a solid block of flash following black and white instructions with a choice of Czech, Polish or Russian text. The decals didn't break up, but then they were a couple of millimetres thick and yellowed as you opened the box on the bus home from the model shop.

Ah yes, sounds very much like KP models. For a great many years they were the only game in town if you wanted anything Mig related that actually looked like a Mig, I remember genuine excitement when I discovered their Mig-19 and Mig-15UTI, if I remember rightly I built the Mig-19 as a Pakistani Shenyang F-6 which would have qualified for this GB!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Andy I think she looks good, certainly well used and worn but definitely good, especially considering the grief that the decals have given you.

Ah yes, sounds very much like KP models. For a great many years they were the only game in town if you wanted anything Mig related that actually looked like a Mig, I remember genuine excitement when I discovered their Mig-19 and Mig-15UTI, if I remember rightly I built the Mig-19 as a Pakistani Shenyang F-6 which would have qualified for this GB!

You are a very bad man. That sent me off looking, and there's F- and FT-6s plus a Q-5 out there just screaming to be built. I'll have to pass for just now though, way too many other builds going on and the GBs just keep piling up,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tell me about it, I keep having to restrain myself from getting more kits. To be honest I've enough qualifying kits in the stash already and the problem is having the time to build them, one of them is a Trumpeter 1/48 FT-6 which very nearly made first choice for the GB and may well get built afterwards.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, modelling minion said:

Tell me about it, I keep having to restrain myself from getting more kits. To be honest I've enough qualifying kits in the stash already and the problem is having the time to build them, one of them is a Trumpeter 1/48 FT-6 which very nearly made first choice for the GB and may well get built afterwards.

I held out for 24 hours, but that Su-7 tipped me over the edge. Got a Q-5C and a Sea Harrier in the post, both eligible for this GB. 

Made some more progress on the MiG to make room for them, pics to follow.

Andy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I held out for 24 hours, but that Su-7 tipped me over the edge. Got a Q-5C and a Sea Harrier in the post, both eligible for this GB. 

Made some more progress on the MiG to make room for them, pics to follow.

Andy

I know exactly what you mean Andy, the Su-7 (what a fantastic choice!) has sent me checking the stash and I can see at least one more entry making it to the GB, only right as I am hosting it!

Will you be doing an India/Pakistan build with your Sea Harrier and Q-5? Both aircraft are excellent choices Andy and the Q-5/A-5 have some really nice schemes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I know exactly what you mean Andy, the Su-7 (what a fantastic choice!) has sent me checking the stash and I can see at least one more entry making it to the GB, only right as I am hosting it!

Will you be doing an India/Pakistan build with your Sea Harrier and Q-5? Both aircraft are excellent choices Andy and the Q-5/A-5 have some really nice schemes.

I'd love to. I originally went looking for an Indian Jaguar so they were both strike aircraft but they're like hen's teeth, so the SHAR it was, made easier as the Italeri rebox of the highly thought of Esci mould has an Indian scheme in the box. The Q-5 has a lovely Pakistani 3 colour camo scheme included so that's a shoo in.

All I need now is time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

I'd love to. I originally went looking for an Indian Jaguar so they were both strike aircraft but they're like hen's teeth, so the SHAR it was, made easier as the Italeri rebox of the highly thought of Esci mould has an Indian scheme in the box. The Q-5 has a lovely Pakistani 3 colour camo scheme included so that's a shoo in.

All I need now is time. 

Ah yes, time is our enemy here.

The ESCI SHAR is still the best 1/72 kit out there despite some recent new ones and builds into a very nice looking model and the fact that you have an Italeri re-box coming means that the decals should be good too.

A 3-colour Pakistani Q-5 has been on my wants list for about 20 years and I'm still waiting for a 1/48 kit to do it, I may well get the 1/72 Trumpeter one later just so that I can build one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet. My kitten arrived on Saturday so normal life is suspended for a week while I get him settled and adjust to sharing my space again. Not much to do though, should be able to finish in a day.

Andy

Cat dad

• Like 1

This is the "little" fella. Only 12 weeks old, but he's a Norwegian Forest Cat, and they're proper big (he weighs 4lbs already). He loves lying on computer keyboards for some reason which makes working from home more interesting than it needs to be sometimes :D 

spacer.png

Andy

Proud dad

• Like 1