1:144 Boeing 737-8 Max ‘WestJet’

Here is my completed Zvezda 737-8 Max in WestJet livery. I chose this scheme as I had flown with them when I was positioning on an internal flight when I was Cabin Crew from Toronto to Halifax. The kit is OOB with the decals from DrawDecal. The kit itself is a great build, and fits together really well. I really like the extra details on the LEAP engines with the 2 part fan blades. I wish I had brought some window and cockpit decals from AA, but I had already applied these before I had found out about them as I am still quite new to the hobby again. 

The paints used were Halfords Appliance White for the fuselage, and engine nacelles. Wings and horizontal stabilisers are Revell Light Grey 371 with Revell Silver 90 leading edges. 

The decals went on really well, and the only thing to adjust was the slight trimming to fit on the tail and winglets. I like the new WestJet Scheme they have brought out for the 787 and would like to make a model of this in the future.

As always thank you for looking and any feedback is always greatly appreciated.

108E6A7B-B6AB-402A-9F69-EAAF805EC0F4 539E1427-FA94-47AE-BDC4-FF06AEE55208 3131C56F-795F-4CD7-BFCC-B330011142E2 5B718DA0-76F3-482E-B997-A37F81225621 C3AEA9FE-8F33-4E71-ADB1-6CCDAD68A5FD 971701BF-E84F-4590-8588-E34160DA4C88 B3D111AC-8ED6-494A-B4F5-1A0080FFA3AA 0A1022E1-FCD1-4993-BE88-29258C35A07C 3719EA00-2703-47A5-998C-EAE274C34CA7

Alistair

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Nice finish on this one.

However, in your haste of showing the result, you forgot the landing lights...

http://airplanes.itsabouttravelling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/c-grax-westjet-boeing-737-max-8-02.jpg

A minor detail easily corrected. Together with the leading edge area :

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8728407 

Cheers. 

AV O

Edited by AV O

You're still new to airliner building??!!?? You did GREAT! Very nice build, indeed, reflecting care and experience! These windows look just fine. I have never used appliance paint, but have read many times that many modelers have with very good result. Yours looks quite nice. Normally I cannot recommend the Testors paint, except the bottled paint for brushing, and even then for small details. Your gray areas also look beautiful and even. The Testors airbrush ready paints are quite good...don't want to throw out the entire baby with the bathwater! Another hint for Authentic Airliners decals...if you're up to a challenge, you could always go back and place them over the ones you already have applied...AND...AA makes landing lights for ALL the Boeings in various scales! SO once you've filled the landing light holes, apply the light decals for a detailed finish. Good job! :clap:

21 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

You're still new to airliner building??!!?? You did GREAT! Very nice build, indeed, reflecting care and experience! These windows look just fine. I have never used appliance paint, but have read many times that many modelers have with very good result. Yours looks quite nice. Normally I cannot recommend the Testors paint, except the bottled paint for brushing, and even then for small details. Your gray areas also look beautiful and even. The Testors airbrush ready paints are quite good...don't want to throw out the entire baby with the bathwater! Another hint for Authentic Airliners decals...if you're up to a challenge, you could always go back and place them over the ones you already have applied...AND...AA makes landing lights for ALL the Boeings in various scales! SO once you've filled the landing light holes, apply the light decals for a detailed finish. Good job! :clap:

Thank you very much. I try to make it as easy as possible as I can’t get on using an Airbrush (need to really practice) so all my models are hand painted or spray canned where I can. I am going to amend/fill the Landing Lights, and get the decals to cover them. I may do that with the windows, or use them for a future build as I really like the look of them on other peoples models in forums. Thank you for your details about paints, very much appreciated. 

Thank you again,

Alistair

Hi Alistair

That's a lovely model of a troubled aircraft. I wonder when we'll see them flying again? 

Don't worry about the landing lights. We all miss something sooner or later - about a year ago I posted a model in RFI with the window decals on upside down. :innocent:

If you're looking for Boeing Grey in an aerosol I would recommend Halfords Racking Grey. It's been my "go to" Boeing Grey for years and most of the other airliner regulars use it as well. You'll find it with the workshop paints, not the car colours. Tamiya TS-17, also an aerosol, is good for leading edges, cowling rings and so on. For what it's worth Holts HL Grey 01 is good for Airbus Grey. It's very slightly different in colour from Racking Grey.

By coincidence I'm also planning a Westjet 737. I got a Zvezda 737-700 in the post this morning and I hope to finish it as C-GQWJ with its tartan tail specially for the YHZ-GLA route.

Looking forward to your next airliner

Dave G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alistair

That's a lovely model of a troubled aircraft. I wonder when we'll see them flying again? 

Don't worry about the landing lights. We all miss something sooner or later - about a year ago I posted a model in RFI with the window decals on upside down. :innocent:

If you're looking for Boeing Grey in an aerosol I would recommend Halfords Racking Grey. It's been my "go to" Boeing Grey for years and most of the other airliner regulars use it as well. You'll find it with the workshop paints, not the car colours. Tamiya TS-17, also an aerosol, is good for leading edges, cowling rings and so on. For what it's worth Holts HL Grey 01 is good for Airbus Grey. It's very slightly different in colour from Racking Grey.

By coincidence I'm also planning a Westjet 737. I got a Zvezda 737-700 in the post this morning and I hope to finish it as C-GQWJ with its tartan tail specially for the YHZ-GLA route.

Looking forward to your next airliner

Dave G

Thank you Dave, really appreciate your info about the paints for Airbus and Boeing Grey, I’ve wanted a spray version for a long time to speed up the application time to paint the wings. Where can I get Holts grey from as I have an Airbus on my bench that’s going to be in the ‘EasyJet 250th’ Scheme. What do you use for coroguard as I like the wings on your Airbus Aircraft, I find Revell 374 too dark?

I look forward to seeing that, and I think I might have to add a 737-700 to my collection (just need to decide on a livery for it lol)

Thank you again,

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Another great model! 

I like this livery and I like the new one too even though they're both basically all over white.

Does the satcom antenna come with the kit? I've not got a 737Max but I'm really impressed that they include separate fan blades like the bigger models, 777, 787 and 747-8. I might have to buy a few of these kits.

Another recommendation from me for the AA landing lights I think they look very good.

Re the Holts paint most independent motorist shops stock the Holts range.

Using an airbrush is just a case of practice and getting the consistency right. One thing which won't improve the model but does improve the presentation is a nice base, they are available on eBay or can be made yourself fairly cheaply, well worth it in my opinion.

47 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

I think I might have to add a 737-700 to my collection (just need to decide on a livery for it lol)

You could do KLM!😉

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058746-1144-zvezda-klm-boeing-737-700/

Anyway keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Another great model! 

I like this livery and I like the new one too even though they're both basically all over white.

Does the satcom antenna come with the kit? I've not got a 737Max but I'm really impressed that they include separate fan blades like the bigger models, 777, 787 and 747-8. I might have to buy a few of these kits.

Another recommendation from me for the AA landing lights I think they look very good.

Re the Holts paint most independent motorist shops stock the Holts range.

Using an airbrush is just a case of practice and getting the consistency right. One thing which won't improve the model but does improve the presentation is a nice base, they are available on eBay or can be made yourself fairly cheaply, well worth it in my opinion.

You could do KLM!😉

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058746-1144-zvezda-klm-boeing-737-700/

Anyway keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you 😃, I thought your KLM 737-700 was cracking 👍🏻. I am thinking of getting/building a base for the models as I know my photo presentation isn’t the best. 

The 737 Max Kit does come with the satcom antenna as standard which I really liked 👍🏻. It also has the Zvezda 737-800 winglets as well (handy for a spare set 😃)

Thank you for the tip about the Holts Paint, will have a look out for it. 

Thank you again for looking and commenting 👍🏻.

Alistair

Just to add to what Ian said, the Holts website has a "Find stockist" facility. If all else fails you can get HL Grey 01 or any other colour you like online but since it has to be sent by courier it's not really economical for a single aerosol can. Be careful if you're buying it out of a rack - there is another paint with a very similar name, HL Grey M01, which is metallic and NOT what you're looking for. (Don't ask how I know that ...)

Dave 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Be careful if you're buying it out of a rack - there is another paint with a very similar name, HL Grey M01, which is metallic and NOT what you're looking for. 

How do you know that Dave?:tease:,

Sorry couldn't resist it!

Cheers,

Ian

• Haha 2

Hi Alistair,

Though I don't model airliners the words WestJet caught my attention since I like flying with them and I contracted there last year. The new livery also applies to the 737-8 Max aircraft which were delivered in the second half of 2018. I have a picture of C-GZSG, number 309, on the WestJet ramp in Calgary sporting the new livery.

Nice work.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wlad said:

Hi Alistair,

Though I don't model airliners the words WestJet caught my attention since I like flying with them and I contracted there last year. The new livery also applies to the 737-8 Max aircraft which were delivered in the second half of 2018. I have a picture of C-GZSG, number 309, on the WestJet ramp in Calgary sporting the new livery.

Nice work.

Cheers,

Wlad

Hi Wlad

Thank you for your comment, I wish I had gotten the decals for the new scheme at the time. I’d like to see the photo you have though 😃.

Cheers,

Alistair

20 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Hi Wlad

Thank you for your comment, I wish I had gotten the decals for the new scheme at the time. I’d like to see the photo you have though 😃.

Cheers,

Alistair

I haven't got a place to post photos to yet. If you message me your email address, I'll send you the photo. 

Cheers,

Wlad

oh, You have built the "Killer machine"....

Very skilful build indeed. It would have been even more realistic to show it with engine covers waiting for the clearance to fly again. Sad story, that.

But I really like your model!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still quite new to the hobby you say... well you're well on track and have jumped the queue good and fast judging on this cracker. I spotted the missing landing lights and see they have already been pointed out to you but that is a minor issue. The quality of paint and decal work, joins and seams are the hard part of the build to get spot on with civil kits, and you certainly demonstrate you have that licked pretty much here. 

• Thanks 1