Frog FW 190 A-3

Carts

Saw this on E-Bay and couldn't really resist it,as i have a vivid memory of this kit way back when i was a kid,I was about 10 years old,walking back from another fruitful day,cultivating a serious case of existential guilt ,at Sacred Heart junior school in Blackburn,walking past the Newsagent(remember when you could buy model kits at Newsagents) I saw this Kit in the window,a review of my finances and future pocket money indicated a long wait,so i embarked on a campaign of neighbour harassment regarding car washing and odd jobs,it took nearly a week of graft to get the funds together,and each day walking back from school  checking the shop window to check it was still available was torture.With my Saturday pocket money to top up my funds I headed to the shop,it was still there,with clammy hands I handed over the money and was away home with my prize.

Once home I eagerly opened the bag,straight away i knew something was wrong,a missing lower wing! Oh the Horror! :)

Straight back to the shop,yep,the only one they had,but they would get me a replacement,I handed over the Fw190 with a heavy heart.I then began a to make the poor newsagents life a misery by popping into the shop every day after school with the plaintive cry of "Is it here yet" after what seemed an eternity he greeted me with a beaming smile and handed over a package,What fresh calamity was this,a Zero! a Zero ! I  didn't want a bloody Zero I  wanted a fw 190,I was refunded my dosh and slunk of home.When I told my Dad he said not to worry he would take me into the toy shop in Blackburn and i could get a new model,So on the Saturday we set off,no Frog Fw at all,but they did have the Airfix D-9 so I reluctantly opted for that kit.Once home i opened my new kit................................................guess what,no canopy :0 My Dad ,seeing how disapointed I was rattled off a letter to Airfix,I think he may have used his works letter headed paper(he worked for the local paper) as within the week a package from Airfix turned up containing not only a spare canopy,but two other Fw d-9 kits,Instant squadron! I never did build or own the frog Fw190,well that particular 47 year period of delayed gratification ends now. :) 

9efjSt.jpg

xVCBQb.jpg

77eJzU.jpg

Right, just off to check the number of wings!

• Like 7

Great news and another different kit is added to the collection.

Fingers crossed everything is complete otherwise it could be a blooming long time waiting for the factory to get back to you this time !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great news and another different kit is added to the collection.

Fingers crossed everything is complete otherwise it could be a blooming long time waiting for the factory to get back to you this time !

Cheers Pat 

Well having had a look at it,i think i dodged a bullet back then :) absolutly no detail in the cockpit,no wheel wells ...at all,no upper guns on the cowling,wings look swept back,its a true horror,I see a lot of modification in my future.

• Like 1

Be careful what you wish for!

On the bright side you can build it OOB quite quickly without having to worry about details... It was my first "built in a weekend" build after getting back into the hobby as a grown-up.

Regards,

Adrian

42 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

after getting back into the hobby as a grown-up.

Regards,

Adrian

Mrs Jockney will tell you that becoming a grown up is still an aspiration for her husband, as far as she is concerned  !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Carts,

In the hopefully unlikely event that there is a problem with the decals, there are spares available - I certainly have a few sheets and I suspect others have them as well.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

• Thanks 1

This was the first kit that I actually used Humbrol authentic paint on. I can still remember the dead smooth and dead matt finish. Finished with helgrau and dunkelgrau I probably painted the best brush-applied mottle that I have ever done.

Edited by dad's lad
  • Like 1

Nice addition Carts to go with the great junior back story. I'm sure we've all got similar tales about hassling toy shop and newsagency owners when our promised kits / magazines failed to arrive in time! We will look forward to seeing you right 47 long years of torture! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Nothing like finally building something you missed out on as a kid. I hope it works out for you. Just think of the extra work as extending the joy of making into something special after all these years.

• Like 1

Well,here it is,as it came,the donor part came from the old Hasegawa Fw 190 A kit,which luckily contained two fairings for an A-5 or A-7,and in fairness to frog its matches pretty well.

7TXH3c.jpg

After a bit of drastic surgery it now looks like this

JcDa69.jpg

Pinched the Hasegawa pilot as well,the rest of the cockpit is just scrap plastic.

Cheers!

Andy

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Carts said:

that escalated

It’s amazing how quickly you can build when you don’t have to worry about P-E, resin or wheel well details! That’s a very nice sow’s-ear-to-silk-purse build - I hope your refound fondness for 1/72 stays with you so you can build some more gems for us.

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1