Airfix 1/48 DH Sea Vixen FAW.2

Rui Silva

Hi all,

This is my entry, the Airfix 1/48 scale DH Sea Vixen FAW.2 in 899 NAS "sharkmouth" markings, I doubt very much I'll be able to complete it in time but nothing to lose anyway.

For starters the mandatory kit and aftermarket pictures, I bought the kit second hand from a fellow portuguese modeller and some aftermarket was included in the deal, I think there's some duplication in the cockpit dept, I'll sort it out as construction begins.

Thanks for looking.

f8d7f2f68b78201afa8e1ea34e15329d.jpg

b0f2fa458f74ba93e8dfc146e946c718.jpg

• Like 5

Getting started!

The kit sprue gates are massive, the plastic is OK to work with and no flash is present, one can notice the spark erosion texture but I think with a primer coat plus paint it will be fine.

I will use the Aires resin ejection seats with the Eduard P/E seatbelts, I've already "dremmeled" the resin gates (working outside with a dust mask).

I tried the Aires cockpit (amazing detail) in the fuselage parts and as usual it would need a good deal of work to fit, I'll take the easy and quick way out and use the kit's cockpit with Eduard's P/E, one thing is apparent from the cockpit pictures, the area behind the pilot's bang seat is much "busier" than the kit parts depict, I will try to detail it a bit.

f3102ab4c846a96f1c01ceec5655d24f.jpg

Edited by Rui Silva
spelling
  • Like 5

Hi all,

A bit more work done, glued the Aires wheel wells (needed a bit of filing of the top wing roots to fit), glued outer wing panel support pieces and glued the tailbooms.

Hope tomorrow I will have time to start working on the cockpit, so far I'm enjoying the kit, it's a big one! 

198aa2164582b877f4a4ccc2886d1948.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope you haven't glued the outer wings...

But your're right, it is a surprisingly large machine, and also quite a lovely model!

Also the Aires resin wheel bays fit perfectly on mine, and lovely pieces they are.

For a black cockpit like this, with such a small opening there's no real need for resin, but seats is a different topic so mabye use those?

Could you perhaps detail up the rear of the pilot bang seat with some of the resin?

• Like 1