P47 D Razor Back UN*I 42-8693 Decals

Christopher Ellul

Hello

I am experimenting with decal printing and I found a small hitch regarding this particular aircraft, basically the nose art is depicting a sort of comic Bull (most probably from Private Snafu comics) punching at something, this I managed to get after a lot of work on photo shop, yet still some parts of the depiction are not clear, any help would be greatly appreciated

spacer.png

A bit larger sample here of the linked photo;

media-34568.jpeg

Can make out both nostrils and the snarl to one side of the mouth.  Unfortunately the glare obliterates as to what exactly the eyes and horns look like.  I would guess the bull character was loosely base on this film short?

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Hi Christopher,

Here is a copy massaged with Photoshop.  If you look closely, at least you can see the eyes.  Still to figure out are the horns, ears, and shoulders, if any.

spacer.png

Almost looks as though a different name was painted underneath, before this design was applied...

Good luck,

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
  • Thanks 1

Dear all, thank you for the help, basically I managed something.... and here is the result... next problem is to find someone locally who uses white ink for printing, since if in the worst case scenario I have to print them on white waterslide decal paper....it's going to be a nightmare to cut around those letters

e657d2ec246d768e346fd2923ba4af31.png

Hi Christopher,

I think your image is  great, particularly in the smaller scales, where you wouldn't even see a lot of the detail.  I ran into the same problem on my XB-40 build  HERE:   

The usual drill for this sort of thing, if you have to resort to printing your own on inkjet printers, is to make the background match the basic color of the aircraft.  However, you sometimes have to use two layers of your decal, because the colors are not as bright, on homemade decals.

You make wish to take a look at the XB-40 build, post #34, about halfway down, where I discuss this problem, and my solution for my particular case.

Hang in there,

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Christopher Ellul said:

Dear all, thank you for the help, basically I managed something.... and here is the result... next problem is to find someone locally who uses white ink for printing, since if in the worst case scenario I have to print them on white waterslide decal paper....it's going to be a nightmare to cut around those letters

e657d2ec246d768e346fd2923ba4af31.png

I second Mr.Ed's theory change the background color on the image to Olive drab. That placed over paint should get you a nice background.  

Dennis

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

Hi Christopher,

I think your image is  great, particularly in the smaller scales, where you wouldn't even see a lot of the detail.  I ran into the same problem on my XB-40 build  HERE:   

The usual drill for this sort of thing, if you have to resort to printing your own on inkjet printers, is to make the background match the basic color of the aircraft.  However, you sometimes have to use two layers of your decal, because the colors are not as bright, on homemade decals.

You make wish to take a look at the XB-40 build, post #34, about halfway down, where I discuss this problem, and my solution for my particular case.

Hang in there,

Ed

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it 😊