1/144 Zvezda KLM Boeing 737-700

Firstly I have to say this is not the recently released Zvezda 737-700 kit but rather their 737-800 kit converted to a -700. I knew one was on the way but thought it would be ages yet and had only just started to convert my -800 kit when the new kit appeared!

It's a beautiful kit which goes together very well, clearly well thought out and nice crisp detail. It corrects the mistakes of the old Revell 737-800 ie engine shape, window height, upside down tail planes and tail up stance.

Although not necessary anymore it is an easy conversion requiring just a fuselage chop and removal of the tail skid.

I decided on the current KLM livery as I often see them flying over my house on their way into and out of MAN.

The excellent decals are from 26Decals, the blue stripe has been cut down to fit the shorter -700. I also had to make up the name from the -800 names supplied on the decal which was fiddly to say the least. It is for this reason I chose this particular aircraft, which is named Finch/Vink, as it is the shortest name in the -700 fleet. There was no way I was going to faff around trying to line up all the letters on PH-BGF which is named Great White Heron/Grote Zilverreiger!! I didn't put the small fleet numbers on the nose gear doors as these are about half the size of the aircraft name and to get them lined up and looking good would have pushed me over the edge I think!! The only other difference is the Boeing 737-700 titling on the rear fuselage which I found in my spares box. The rest of the details are from the supplied detail decal or my spares box again. Windows, windscreen and landing lights are from Authentic Airliner Decals. Paint is Xtracolor X312 for the fuselage roof, Halfords Racking Grey for the wings, tailplanes and engine pylons and Halfords Appliance White on the belly, engines and tail. I was undecided about the belly colour, some say it is white, some an off white, very very light grey, see this thread from 2011 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61348-new-klm-grey/ but in the end I just sprayed it white and am quite happy with it.

Got a few pics this morning before the rain.

img

48418198287_4549a6e671_b.jpg

48418198197_ab57b646ee_b.jpg

48418198332_d9b7ac4840_b.jpg

48418047036_f48d846d11_b.jpg

48418198302_59782005cd_b.jpg

48418047166_4e69aebe35_b.jpg

48418198202_2f8aac716f_b.jpg

Thanks for looking I hope you like it. 

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 43

WOW! Ian...this  737 is absolutely captivating. Like you, I am a big believer in the realistic windows and details from AA, which add so much, but they would mean very little and add nearly nothing without the skill of the prep and proper research to get the model perfect, the colors correct, snd the confidence that it satisfies YOU. Outstanding. Very nice work. :clap:

That's wonderful Ian - gorgeous model in a gorgeous livery. KLM 737s are a regular sight at Edinburgh and there is a tendency to take them for granted. It needs a model like yours to show how attractive they actually are.

By coincidence this morning my friendly local postlady delivered an actual Zvezda 737-700 courtesy of Hannants. It looks lovely in the box. I have a set of Westjet tartan tail decals on order from 8aDecs and if my model of C-GQWJ turns out half as well as your "Finch" I'll be very happy. 

Dave G

9 hours ago, Bill.B said:

17 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

WOW! Ian...this  737 is absolutely captivating. Like you, I am a big believer in the realistic windows and details from AA, which add so much, but they would mean very little and add nearly nothing without the skill of the prep and proper research to get the model perfect, the colors correct, snd the confidence that it satisfies YOU. Outstanding. Very nice work. :clap:

Thanks Paul, This really means a lot coming from a master modeller such as yourself! Looking forward to your Delta DC8 by the way!

15 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Love it Ian, nice job on the conversion and the fiddly decals!:cheers:

Cheers Ray, one of these days I might make a model without having to chop it into something else! Oh and those fiddly decals, I keep looking at the blank nose gear doors and feeling the need to add the fleet numbers to them. I think I must be some kind of masochist! I'll update the pics if I do.

15 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Absolutely wonderful. 

Honestly a great looking model, well done Ian and thanks for sharing. 

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, what are you working on at the moment?

14 hours ago, Luiz said:

stunning!

Well I can't ask for better than that Luiz, thank you!

10 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Nice looking little Boeing. The KLM livery in my opinion is one of the best looking in Europe and you perfectly brought it to 1/144 scale.

Cheers _alfisti_! I think the -700 is a lovely looking aeroplane it just looks right if you know what I mean? And I agree about the KLM livery especially the recent tweek with the blue band swooping down at the front.

10 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That's wonderful Ian - gorgeous model in a gorgeous livery. KLM 737s are a regular sight at Edinburgh and there is a tendency to take them for granted. It needs a model like yours to show how attractive they actually are.

By coincidence this morning my friendly local postlady delivered an actual Zvezda 737-700 courtesy of Hannants. It looks lovely in the box. I have a set of Westjet tartan tail decals on order from 8aDecs and if my model of C-GQWJ turns out half as well as your "Finch" I'll be very happy. 

Dave G

Thank you Dave, yes I know what you mean about taking them for granted a bit like Tridents and Viscounts in the 70's! 

The thing I like about the KLM livery is it provides a splash of colour at an airport, it's such a lovely shade of blue. I've always liked the livery and it's strange it has taken me this long to model it, I really want to do a DC9 though.

I'm sure yours will look great in the Westjet tartan colours, I'll look forward to seeing it.

9 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

This is a stunning model, the colours and decals are great. I’m looking forward to making a 737-700 model in the future. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers Alistair, well as you've already built some Zvezda 737s you know how good they are! As I said in your own Zvezda 737 post today you could finish it in KLM too, maybe have a go at one of the longer names!!😵

9 hours ago, Bill.B said:

That’s a cracker! Nice job! 😎

Cheers Bill! It's certainly one of my favourites.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I'm currently working on a Zvezda A321 Thomas Cook "Sunny Heart" colours, an almost finished Eastern Express MD-87 City Airline (LN Decals), Eastern Express DC-10 (either BCal, Condor, Laker, Iberia or Ghana Airways) and trying to find the motivation to finish F-rsin ATR-72 (Flybe Nordic), Zvezda 737-800 Thomson and Zvezda Air Canada 737MAX. 

Oh and I'm sure I started an EE Herald WiP a few months ago...

What about yourself? What's the next masterpiece we can expect?

Jeff

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Hi Ian,

I'm currently working on a Zvezda A321 Thomas Cook "Sunny Heart" colours, an almost finished Eastern Express MD-87 City Airline (LN Decals), Eastern Express DC-10 (either BCal, Condor, Laker, Iberia or Ghana Airways) and trying to find the motivation to finish F-rsin ATR-72 (Flybe Nordic), Zvezda 737-800 Thomson and Zvezda Air Canada 737MAX. 

Oh and I'm sure I started an EE Herald WiP a few months ago...

What about yourself? What's the next masterpiece we can expect?

Jeff

Looks like your work bench is as busy as mine Jeff!

I don't know what will be next but I'm currently working on a couple of A319s, an A320 and a 321 which will be Austrian Millennium 'Famous Faces', don't know the liveries for the others though. Also a Star Air 767-200 freighter and DHL 757 freighter plus I'm dying to crack open a DC10 from 26 which will be in classic Varig colours.

Of course I might pull something else out the stash and complete that before any of the above, I just never know and that adds to the enjoyment!!

49 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Stunning as usual Ian.  The new KLM livery looks better on the model than it does on the full sized airframe.

Really nice result.

Chris.

Thanks Chris glad you like it. Do I take it you're not really gone on the new KLM livery?

How you getting on with your A300?

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Hi Ian,

Another winner! What a splendid model. A KLM livery is always appreciated by my opinion ;). I really like your conversion work. Superb paint-job as well! Can I give one minor point of critique though? The engines look pure white on your pictures, but in real-life they are the same colour as the underbelly of the aircraft (a very light shade of grey). I know people who work for KLM and they have confirmed that both the engines an underbelly are a light shade of grey (that way the aircraft doesn’t look dirty quickly). The wings and stabilizers are your typical “Boeing grey”. The vertical stabilizer is most definitely pure white though.

As KLM celebrates its hundredth birthday this year, on the Dutch  forum where I’m usually at we are hosting a buddy build 100 years KLM, where everyone can build something KLM related (aircraft, trainers, trucks, etc.). So expect more KLM from me as well! (beginning with the 767-300ER, after I finish the convair 990 in Spantax colours).

On 7/31/2019 at 11:11 PM, Turbofan said:

Thanks Chris glad you like it. Do I take it you're not really gone on the new KLM livery?

How you getting on with your A300?

Cheers,

Ian

Not overly keen on that one. I prefer the old DC-9 delivery scheme.

Slow progress with the Airbus but you already knew that.  You're just extracting the urine.  :tease:.

Chris

Lovely neat job there Ian, that livery suits the 700 very well. I love the super smooth finish you always seem to achieve, doing it in blue must be even harder than white.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2019 at 14:48, Malair said:

Can I give one minor point of critique though? The engines look pure white on your pictures, but in real-life they are the same colour as the underbelly of the aircraft (a very light shade of grey).

Hi Martijn,

Sorry for the late reply I've been away on holiday.

Yes I was aware the white isn't pure white, apart from the tail, but when I mixed up a very light shade of grey I found it looked too dirty and as I wanted to paint it quickly I decided to just use Appliance White. I knew you would spot it though!!

On 01/08/2019 at 14:48, Malair said:

Dutch  forum

Do you have a link to the buddy build Martijn? I'd like to have a look at what is being built.

Looking forward to your CV990 and 763

On 02/08/2019 at 01:07, stringbag said:

You're just extracting the urine.  :tease:.

No I meant it most sincerely, I leave the jibes to Neil and John:giggle:,

On 02/08/2019 at 01:17, Moa said:

Very beautiful!

Thank you Moa!

On 02/08/2019 at 15:42, phildagreek said:

Very smart, I've always liked the KLM scheme and colours, good effort!

Thanks, yes I agree KLM always add a bit of colour to the ramp!

On 04/08/2019 at 18:53, Viking said:

Lovely neat job there Ian, that livery suits the 700 very well. I love the super smooth finish you always seem to achieve, doing it in blue must be even harder than white.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, yes I didn't choose to convert it specially for the KLM livery, it was going to be SAS but I think I prefer the KLM though.

The Xtracolor Blue I used was thinned with cellulose thinners which I think helps but I have to admit there are a few patches which are a little less smooth than others!

On 06/08/2019 at 03:27, kapam said:

That is top notch indeed!

I too am captivated by the realism and beauty of your model.

:goodjob:😎

Thank you very much! I do strive for realism so I guess I've cracked it!

On 06/08/2019 at 09:00, Hobo said:

Beautiful build. Love the KLM schemes.

Thanks Hobo, me too I will definitely be building more KLM liveries in the future.

Cheers,

Ian

18 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Yes I was aware the white isn't pure white, apart from the tail, but when I mixed up a very light shade of grey I found it looked too dirty and as I wanted to paint it quickly I decided to just use Appliance White. I knew you would spot it though!!

Hahaha, I've done that too in the past! Just FYI, I always use Xtracolor X371 KLM 2004 Pale grey for the engines and underbelly. The colour is spot-on IMHO

Do you have a link to the buddy build Martijn? I'd like to have a look at what is being built.

Sure, you can find it here: https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=269&t=52175. It's just a request to join thread for now (already a lively discussion going on though). The official sub-thread will be opened October 7th (as this is the official "birthday" of KLM}

Looking forward to your CV990 and 763

I just opened a RFI thread for the CV990. The 763 has to wait a bit as I have decided to first build the Antonov 74TK-300D as a stopgap before the 7th of October when I will start with the BAC1-11, followed by the 763

Thanks Hobo, me too I will definitely be building more KLM liveries in the future.

We can never have enough KLM builds! If they turn up as nice as this 737, I'm really looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, Malair said:

We can never have enough KLM builds! If they turn up as nice as this 737, I'm really looking forward to it!

I was going to do my AA DC9 in KLM livery but you beat me to it so it'll be Austrian instead(when I eventually get around to finishing it!). I'm thinking about an A310 when the EE one comes out and wouldn't mind doing some old Flying Dutchman aircraft, DC4 or Constellation perhaps. I also have an old Minicraft 737-300 which I keep meaning to refurb with AA windows.

2 hours ago, Malair said:

Just FYI, I always use Xtracolor X371 KLM 2004 Pale grey for the engines and underbelly

Haha, I have that colour in my paint box but thought it was the earlier grey which was used with the broad blue cheatline, duh!

Cheers,

Ian

Another smashing looking civil build from your Boeing production line - a welcome contribution to the so few commercial jets that appear on the forum - top work - lovely and Dutch

Top modelling, and once again, so nicely presented