WW2 RAF uniform colour

leyreynolds

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Humbrol 96 

No!   

Yes, RAF uniforms are "blue", but they are more towards the grey scale, than the blue.  Even during the war they were more grey than 96.  Look at any decent colour photo of the era.   

The only actual blue RAF uniforms were the very first ones which were in fact meant to be going to the Imperial Russian Air Force, but of course the revolution happened, so they never went.  

2TAF pilots over Normandy sometimes/often wore army battledress (to avoid blue-on-blue if returning through the lines if downed) as RAF uniform was worryingly sufficiently similar to German army uniform colour!

• Like 2

The wooly serge material tended to fade somewhat. I recall my itchy woolly ATC uniform faded to a lighter shade of the smart RAF blue grey colour.

4 hours ago, Devilfish said:

No!   

Yes, RAF uniforms are "blue", but they are more towards the grey scale, than the blue.  Even during the war they were more grey than 96.  Look at any decent colour photo of the era.   

The only actual blue RAF uniforms were the very first ones which were in fact meant to be going to the Imperial Russian Air Force, but of course the revolution happened, so they never went.  

Hmm, Googling raf ww2 uniform gives loads of colour photos that look very much like the blue grey of Humbrol 96.....

• Like 2

I second Humbrol 96 , ` wore it for 3 years . I still have my " Best Blue " tunic and that has faded very little in 66 years .

The paint colour on your figures will fade a little also , over time

Don .

On 7/31/2019 at 8:06 PM, Don149 said:

I second Humbrol 96 , ` wore it for 3 years . I still have my " Best Blue " tunic and that has faded very little in 66 years .

The paint colour on your figures will fade a little also , over time

Don .

I wore it for 22 years.....

This is 96.....which is nothing like any RAF uniform I've ever seen.  

35367910890_d72df7c3bd_b.jpg20170115_001936_zpszy01vu3n by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Edited by Devilfish

On 8/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, Vlad said:

I don't know if it's the lighting of your picture or you have an odd batch of 96, but that looks nothing like the Humbrol 96 I know and use 😁

Well, I've used 96 quite a bit for more than 30 odd years, and it's always been that colour....

On 8/2/2019 at 2:34 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It changes colour. Quite significantly actually and it tends towards grey. Like jeans the RAF uniforms fade in the wash.

Well, my one never did....