F289 Messerschmitt ME262 - 1/32 Scale

Bonhoff

Hi all,

FROG reboxed some of Hasegawa's output including a number of 1/32nd scale models....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f289-messerschmitt-me262a--953399

So I'll be building this Hasegawa boxing of the ME262.

48322142851_ef66066ae1_c.jpg

So what's in the box?

48417767176_2297b127a5_c.jpg

I'll be building it OOB and on a stand as the wheel wells have nothing in the way of detail at all and I don't really want to spend money on aftermarket or time on scratch details.

Plus I'm not sure where it's going once it's built!

Work has started.

48322224862_14727b55cc_c.jpg

KR's 

IanJ 

• Like 8

Great choice and great start Ian. I've never had the pleasure to view this kit so will cast a keen eye to see how you get on with his classic piece of plastic as times goes on. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:58 AM, TonyW said:

Good choice! The size of the thing will make it stand out for sure. Any idea of a colour scheme yet?

Planning to build it as an a-2a - Options are limited in the kit to two, if I can find some painting info then Red 5 of KG/51 will be my choice.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:20 PM, Carts said:

Very nice 262,did the pilot come with the kit,he's a dead ringer for Revells standard pilot figure.

He's in the kit.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, Mjwomack said:

Doesn't our kit building philosophy of the 1960s dictate that it hangs from your bedroom ceiling?

It's a nice thought and in FROG's heyday I could have done that at my parents.

Somehow I can't see Mrs Bonhoff letting me do it...  :violin:

IanJ 

• Like 3

The problem with red 5 is that it is an oddity for KG 51. This aircraft should belong to a fighter unit.  Because it uses a number. All bomber units used letters. For the aircraft code. Fighter units used numbers. Now there has been some evidence that this plane did exist. However,  you would be better off going for one of the normal planes like

red B.

1/Kg 51 used white nose, tail tip and white letter aircraft code. 2/Kg51 used red nose, tail tip and red letter aircraft code. The  way red B code would be on the side of the fuselage is. 9K+BK . The 9K is small black letters  the B is a large red with white border letter the K is a small black letter. This is the normal code setup for Kg51

The main camo colors were RLM81 and RLM 82

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see this old kit. I don't remember building one, but I must have decades ago, as I'm using parts from it in my latest Maschinen kreiger build!

I have found that on the lower wing section it has the word Hasegawa moulded in relief. So was my kit Frog or Hasegawa I wonder?

• Like 1

As it happens I've been beavering away on it.

Haven't taken many photos - Fit is only average in places but careful assembly gives satisfactory results. 

Here's where we are at the moment. 

48695488547_2d4bbfbb59_c.jpg

Kind regards 

IanJ 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 8:23 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ian

One week to go to claim the prise for the biggest completed build in the GB.

Cheers Pat 

Sorry Pat - No can do I'm afraid. 

Although the airframe is complete and has its base coats of primer and RLM 76 applied, there's been too much stuff going on chez Bonhoff to get the thing finished.

Apologies 

IanJ 

• Like 2

Hi Ian

Absolutely no need to apologise, we all have miles of stuff going on in the real world planned and otherwise.

Thanks very much for bringing this kit to the GB, and please let us know when you finish it.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

49785905872_bb0b824d49_z.jpg

49785905667_f24501ba82_z.jpg

49785584446_8726d06a18_z.jpg

Finally completed - Plucked up the courage to do the worm camouflage as part of my lockdown activities, that and it's finally warm enough to work down in the shed again, a couple of evenings later and I'm reasonably happy with the outcome. 

@JOCKNEY - Sorry for not getting it done sooner 

IanJ

• Like 3

Hi Ian

Congratulations that looks absolutely superb and im really glad you finished it.

If you haven't done so already, pop it on the ready for inspection part of BM so that others can enjoy it as well.

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1