Spraying Vallejo model air- too thin out of bottle?

Antb

Hi guys 

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section. 

I'm currently working on an SU35 and started spraying the light blue which I'm having problems with. Simply put, the paint seems too thin straight out of the bottle and it doesn't go down smooth. 

I've reduced the air pressure to around 18 psi at which point the paint spits but going up to 19 or 20 the paint goes back to really wet. 

Has anyone had this before and does anyone have any tips or advice please? 

I'm battling on and trying my best with thin coats but any advice would be appreciated. 

Cheers 

Have you made sure it's been mixed really well, Vallejo pigments have a habit of settling at the bottom of the bottle, even the model air ones.

Pop the top off and poke something down into the bottom of the bottle

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

Have you made sure it's been mixed really well, Vallejo pigments have a habit of settling at the bottom of the bottle, even the model air ones.

Pop the top off and poke something down into the bottom of the bottle

Thanks Colin. 

I do give then a shake for a few minutes but I suppose it could be the pigment hasn't come through giving the watery appearance. 

I'll give it a try and report back. 

Thanks again 

Try this...………..YouTube is your best thing for ALL modelling tips and builds:

Good Luck...……….these are just 3 x videos of many many more relating spraying Vallejo to be found on YouTube

• Thanks 3

Thanks @rayprit

I've seen these but none seem to deal with the paint being too runny straight out of the bottle other than air pressure which, as above, I've lowered to no effect. 

I'm hoping it's a case of the paint not mixing properly so will see what happens this evening. 

Cheers again 

I'm with Colin here - the paints do settle.  I use one of those metal balls from AK in the bottom and give it a good rattle. HTH :) 

• Like 1

Sounds like lack of mixing.....I USED to use ball bearings but found after a period of time those balls would set like concrete in the sediment and you were back to square one as to how to move the sediment AND balls, so I switched to stainless steel nuts, two per bottle, the nuts have weight when you shake them up PLUS 6 cutting edges...…..never had a problem since.  I also used to use one of these Paint mixers...…………………...https://modelkitcompany.com/products/trumpeter-tools-paint-mixer?variant=28510264361053&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9jpjPne4wIVxbTtCh1PKAnIEAQYBCABEgK2p_D_BwE

There maybe a problem with trying to fit it into the neck of the bottle - it can get messy, But I tried out my old and trusted friend YouTube and got help with this tip, forgive me, but, sub titled but good advice:

I use Model Airs straight from the bottle very often and rarely had this issue. Sounds to me it's as others have said, a mixing problem. Said that, shaking the bottle vigorously for 30-60 seconds always sorted this for me, if you're shaking for 2 minutes and the paint doesn't mix properly, it could be that you have a dodgy paint. Best try with another bottle if you have one and see if this is the case. I've had one such bottle in the past: no matter how well I mixed the paint, I simply couldn't get enough pigment on the model. The only solution was binning the bottle and buying a new one.

Have to say that a pressure of 20 psi sounds a bit high in my experience, I generally spray these paints at around 15 and also used 12 succesfully. Could there be something not working well in your airbrush ?

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Could there be something not working well in your airbrush ?

Its possible but what ive no idea. I strip it down and clean it after every use to get it as clean as I possibly can. 

To be honest I didn't have the issues with the USAF modern jet paint set, they went on quite well. 

Its either the paint or the airbrush and I'm not sure which. 

I've airbrushed tonight and gave the paint a really good shake, the issue wasn't as bad but still there a little. I've had issues with spitting again tonight. I'm also struggling to get fine lines, I'm just getting wide spray areas. 

Its probably just me and my inexperience. 

I agree with Giogio the pressure seems too high.  I use between 10-15psi with my Tamiya Airbrush, i have also found that mixing and age of the paint plays a big part in Vallejo paints.  if they are too old they tend to settle and you have to pop the dropper cap of and get something inside to stir it up.  I also thin mine with their own thinner around 75-80% paint to thinner ratio.  This also seems to speed up the drying time...

good luck!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lionfish said:

I agree with Giogio the pressure seems too high.  I use between 10-15psi with my Tamiya Airbrush, i have also found that mixing and age of the paint plays a big part in Vallejo paints.  if they are too old they tend to settle and you have to pop the dropper cap of and get something inside to stir it up.  I also thin mine with their own thinner around 75-80% paint to thinner ratio.  This also seems to speed up the drying time...

good luck!!

Cheers for the comments. Reading online has you believing the pressure works best at 20psi (see videos above). 

I have added some thinners and it does make it a tad easier. 

I've turned the air pressure down to 12-15 and frankly it spits and is horrible. 

Practice I think will help. 

The fact that you're only able to spray wide areas and not fine line may be due to the paint drying on the tip of the airbrush needle, so clogging the nozzle. This may also explain why the airbrush spits at lower pressure while works fine at higher values.

To avoid the problem, you may try putting a couple of drops of thinner in the airbrush cup before painting, then spray the thinner. This will leave a film of thinner on the tip, so retarding the onset of the problem. It's also worth having a small brush at hand, with which you can use to gently clean the tip when too much paint builds up

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:21 PM, Antb said:

Thanks Colin. 

I do give then a shake for a few minutes but I suppose it could be the pigment hasn't come through giving the watery appearance. 

I'll give it a try and report back. 

Thanks again 

On 7/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, Antb said:

Hi guys 

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section. 

I'm currently working on an SU35 and started spraying the light blue which I'm having problems with. Simply put, the paint seems too thin straight out of the bottle and it doesn't go down smooth. 

I've reduced the air pressure to around 18 psi at which point the paint spits but going up to 19 or 20 the paint goes back to really wet. 

Has anyone had this before and does anyone have any tips or advice please? 

I'm battling on and trying my best with thin coats but any advice would be appreciated. 

Cheers 

Hey Antb

Try this, get some stainless steel nuts (#10) for the 17ml botles 1/4" for the larger bottles. Not sure what the metric equivalents are, but they absolutely need to be stainless steel or they will rust inside your paint. I use nuts instead of balls so that they don't get stuck in the nose of the bottle when you turn them upside down to put paint in your air brush cup.

Ron G 

• Like 1

Thanks again chaps. 

So, had another bash this evening and things have improved a little. I feel I'm now on the right track so thanks for the tips and advice. 

I started by using a different paint manufacturer just to see the difference. I needed to spray some AK extreme jet exhaust so gave that a bash. Spraying at 20psi it went down lovely and then thickened and then clogged. So I know it's not my airbrush. 

Then onto the Vallejo model air. Air pressure to 18 a few drops in needle locked in so couldn't draw it back too much and there was some success. Finer lines and a smoother coverage. 

Although the grey didn't like being sprayed and that came out spitting weirdly. 

I still had some clogging on the tip of the needle even with some thinners but I removed this and it was ok. 

Paint dried in the nozzle though after I'd sprayed for a while which I guess is to be expected. 

But much better Thank fully. 

I am putting it down to experience if I'm honest but I am really grateful for your advice chaps. Thanks again!