1964 - It's not a mystery, it's a Super Mystère

Wez

Hello folks,

Here's my entry into this Group Build and I'm quite excited about it too as I'll explain later!

I had planned to make an English Electric Lightning, specifically XR720 which flew a few days before my birthday in 1964.  XR720 is an F.3 which would mean converting the Airfix 1/72nd kit using the Alley Cat conversion, then the reality of my situation hit.  I am a very slow modeller, mostly because I have lots going on in my life but mainly because I only have a small window of opportunity to do some modelling anyway!  Many of you will know that this man in his fifties is studying part time for a degree, fitting it in with work and the aforementioned lots going on in my life, taking on a conversion probably wouldn't be the wisest of things and probably wouldn't get finished before I have to recommence studies.  Therefore, something OOB was called for.

Fortunately, the long announced CMK/Special Hobby 1/72nd Dassault SMB.2 Super Mystère has finally, after what seems like an incredibly long wait (accompanied by lots of teasing glimpses of progress), has been released!  I was very excited when this was announced, the Super Mystère has long been a favourite of mine, really since seeing a picture of the EC.1/12 Tiger Meet aircraft in 1972, it's a classic Cold War jet and as it's French, it has a certain je ne sais quoi.  The Airfix kit from the early 70's is a nice kit but isn't up to today's standards, the more recent AZ kit has some shape errors so when this kit was announced I was very pleased indeed!  It certainly looks in the box, to be the definitive SMB.2 in this scale!  This would be my OOB subject.

Kit

Although the kit has been manufactured by Special Hobby, French concern Azur got first dibs on the releases, this is the "Early" boxing and features NMF subjects, the "Late" boxing features camouflaged aircraft.  AFAIK, the kit contents are the same.

Unfortunately, none of the subjects in the box were from the year I was born.  Fortunately, I've got plenty of decals from Berna Decals which include some other options.

Reference & Decals

Berna Decal sheet BD72-78 features three aircraft one of which is No.151/12-YN from EC.1/12 at Cambrai in 1967...   ...not 1964, curses!  Searching through the excellent EM37 book on the Super Mystère, it lists the histories of every single aircraft which shows that No.151 was delivered to EC.1/12 on 01/08/63 after its first Major maintenance at Dassualt, it stayed with the unit 12/09/67 when it went to IAI at Lod for its second Major maintenance.  Therefore the aircraft was on the unit strength during 1964!  Hurrah!!

So to cut a long story short, my subject will be Super Mystère No.151/12-YN, from EC.1/12, based at Cambrai in 1964.

• Like 7

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great choice Wez, looking forward to the build. 

Thanks Dennis, me too!  I've heard good things about this one.

• Like 1

An excellent introduction to what we all know will be an excellent build. I really like the look of this Wez but (hope!) it doesn’t take my fancy too much to entice me to add one to the stash - the classic Matchbox, Airfix and Frog GB’s have been horrid at doing that! 

I’m so pleased you’ve decided to join us considering your known time limited situation. We will all rally around to get you over the line with this one. 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

An excellent introduction to what we all know will be an excellent build.

Let's hope so eh?

8 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Agree that's a lovely choice, and very much looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

You and me both!

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m so pleased you’ve decided to join us considering your known time limited situation. We will all rally around to get you over the line with this one. 

Thanks Dave, the 5th of October is when skool, edjukashun, my next course starts, hopefully that should be sufficient time to get things done.