A-6 INTRUDER LOAD IDENTIFICATION

Uncle Dick

Date of photo 1974.  Looks like a static at an airshow display, and the pod is small enough to fit nicely on the rear lower fitting of the MER under the centerline.  It's not a LAU.  

Quite a mystery!  Angle of the photo is deceptive, but Colin is correct that it's a small pod on the MER, not an antenna directly mounted to the fuselage.  This is confirmed from a 1975 photo linked below (still as Joker 501).  This was an early A-6E, last of the third production batch, so there shouldn't be anything unique about the airframe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrit_kok_collection/36333952985

Intriguing! It almost looks like one of those navigation pods used on the F4D Skyray, but I cannot imagine that a DIANE equipped Intruder would need that kind of help.

Cheers,

Andre

Did some more googling and while I didn't find an answer I'll post what I've ruled out (to save others time and possibly suggest another answer).

The AGM-53 Condor was a guided missile tested on the A-6 in the early 70s. Unlike later "fire and forget" weapons, this was a TV-guided weapon that required a datalink between the missile and the guiding aircraft after launch (basically a powered Walleye). The datalink pod was a contender for our mystery object, unfortunately (a) the Condor guidance pod was substantially larger (pic below), and (b) the Condor was cancelled before entering service (VA-34 was a regular Atlantic Fleet squadron, ergo unlikely to carry any test pods/weapons).

spacer.png

Still, a guided weapon datalink would make sense based on the shape and the placement in the original photo, so maybe someone knows of similar system it may actually be?

• Like 2

Okay, let's have some fun.

Clearly, it's not a pod to carry sausage rolls back from Greggs.

In the early 1970s the CVW concept was coming into being which included anti-submarine warfare.  A-6Bs carrying AGM-78 ST ARM missiles would drop sonobuoys from rearward-ejecting SUU flare pods and pick up "pings" on the radarscope using the ST ARM seeker as a receiver. This pod might be something similar for regular A-6A/Es. The Intruders experimented using different drop speeds and spacings and passed the info to the fledgling S-3A Viking units.

Or, it could be a thermos flask for ice cold Cola or even a jamming pod. 

Tony