That's a very well done Zeke,love the weathering.......i guess we will never know what the Nipponese actually used to paint their planes during the Pacific War,spray job or just brush!

Edited by Kampartiger
  • Thanks 1

Very nice and excellent camo reproduction. Looks like on the original photo. This has been said to be the Reisen flown by Japan's top ace, Lt(jg) Hiroyoshi Nishizawa, but this isn't 100% confirmed. The 'UI-' was possibly red (although I vote for black, too), and the '105' white, but again not for sure.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

That's a very well done Zeke,love the weathering.......i guess we will know what the Nipponese used to paint their planes during the Pacific front,spray job or just brush!

Since our comments just overlapped: It's actually not weathered. The original J3 amber-grey overall camo had been oversprayed with green which was quite typical at this stage of the campaign due to the growing Allied air superiority over Rabaul. On the original picture it looks like spray-gunned not brushed.

• Thanks 1

Very nice A6M3! I think you did a very nice job re-creating the  camouflage applied to this airplane. For what it's worth, I have  attached a link to a photo of this Zero as well as some discussion regarding U1-105 on the J-Aircraft website- thought this might be interesting for you and others.

Mike

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/a6m3_model22_ui105_nishizawa-1-jpg.92327/

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/A6M_pt2.htm#Nishizawa's A6M3 UI-105

• Like 1

On 30/07/2019 at 16:55, 72modeler said:

Very nice A6M3! I think you did a very nice job re-creating the  camouflage applied to this airplane. For what it's worth, I have  attached a link to a photo of this Zero as well as some discussion regarding U1-105 on the J-Aircraft website- thought this might be interesting for you and others.

Mike

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/a6m3_model22_ui105_nishizawa-1-jpg.92327/

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/A6M_pt2.htm#Nishizawa's A6M3 UI-105

Thanks for your input Mike.

The long-standing discussion about UI-105 colours has indeed been entertaining. In my humble opinion the logic of painting the code was exactly the other way around than argued in the J-Aircraft blog: Usually J3 grey Zeros had black or red codes. When Nishizawa's plane was mottled it was necessary to highlight the tail number to facilitate combat formations (where's the flight the leader?). Therefore the original black (or red) code number was overpainted in white.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Thanks for your input Mike.

The long-standing discussion about UI-105 colours has inded been entertaining. In my humble opinion the logic of painting the code was exactly the other way around than argued in the J-Aircraft blog: Usually J3 grey Zeros had black or red codes. When Nishizawa's plane was mottled it was necessary to highlight the tail number to facilitate combat formations (where's the flight the leader?). Therefore the original black (or red) code number was overpainted in white.

Cheers, Michael

Sounds logical to me, Michael- what I know about IJA/IJN colors can be put on the head of a pin with space left over for my knowledge of Italian aircraft colors! I just remembered reading the discussion on Nishizawa's A6M3 when I was researching A6M2 colors, and thought somebody might find the discussion useful.

Mike

• Thanks 1