1970 – RAAF’s Front Line Interceptor – Dassault (GAF) Mirage IIIO

Like most kids of our generation, I once harboured thoughts of becoming a fighter pilot in our national Air Force. As I grew older and understood what it took to actually get to that elite level (not to mention my many short comings), it soon became obvious that perhaps I should choose another career path to pursue. So this build is just a step back in time to honour that most beautiful of interceptors that served the RAAF at the time of my birth year - The Dassault (GAF) Mirage IIIO.

The kit in question is the recently released 1/48 Kinetic Mirage III, which has many options to build many versions. Although there is an Aussie decal choice provided, I will be using the rather beautifully printed Caracal decals sheet for this build. I'm still in two minds regarding my final choice of 1970 scheme. It will either be a drab 'Lizard Scheme' Butterworth based aircraft from 75 Squadron or the rather smooth looking all silver scheme which was still worn by some of 77 Squadron's hand me down Mirages whilst based at Williamtown, New South Wales. I suppose if I make as many errors as I normally do, the camo scheme could hide some mistakes... let's see how I'm felling when I get there! 

I hope everyone enjoys this GB and by the end of it will look back and be pleased with their results. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

48410099857_8ef9a62c05_b.jpg

Some references - The Mason / Mottram book is just superb! 

48409955346_141610fcca_b.jpg

Kit and AM decal sheets 

48409955306_737fa3c98e_b.jpg

75 Squadron - Lizard scheme (Extra Dark Sea Grey & Olive Drab) - photo courtesy ADF Serials 

48410404506_17f9caf387_b.jpg

77 Squadron - Silver Lacquer scheme - Photo courtesy RAAF Official Photograph / Mushroom Publications 

48410552236_07e4ff4399_b.jpg

• Like 13

Great stuff David.  I wanted to be a fighter pilot too until my eyes let me down.  I still anted to be in the RAAF so applied for a few different musterings but, again, eyesight was the problem.  This was in the 70s were the ADF were spoilt for recruits so were picking the cream.

My school library had that book, and it was frequently borrowed by myself 

I built my mirage as a lizard as well.  Its somewhere in RFI.  The kinetic mirage is not a bad kit, but certainly not the definitive kit we were hoping for.

Just be careful with the Caracal tail bands as the cut outs for the rudder actuator is too big

Will be following

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Which squadron has the red tail flash with what looks like a Black panther ? Id like to know so i may do that one someday ? 

76 Squadron, they were based at RAAF Williamtown. 76 was reformed as a Lead in Fighter training unit and now operate BAe Hawk Mk127s

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Which squadron has the red tail flash with what looks like a Black panther ? Id like to know so i may do that one someday ? 

That’s No. 76 Squadron Dennis a famous RAAF unit that proudly served during the Pacific Milne Bay campaign with Kittyhawks and went on the fly Mustangs and Sabres. It currently operates the Hawk 127 and still displays the Black Panther motif.

Cheers. Dave 

(edit - written whilst Ray was typing!) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice @Rabbit Leader.  I built a 77 Sqn lizard a couple years back with a Kinetic kit.  I recall the kit being a bit fiddly (particularly around the intakes), but all in all I enjoyed the build.  But then again, I'm one that likes a little bit of tinkering when it comes to building.  They just aren't as much fun if you shake them out of the box and they just fall together.  :lol:  I actually built straight out of the box (aside from the Caracal Decals) with no AM. 

RFI thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005675-raaf-sqn-77-mirage-iiio-148-kinetic/

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 5:35 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Like most kids of our generation, I once harboured thoughts of becoming a fighter pilot in our national Air Force. As I grew older and understood what it took to actually get to that elite level (not to mention my many short comings), it soon became obvious that perhaps I should choose another career path to pursue. So this build is just a step back in time to honour that most beautiful of interceptors that served the RAAF at the time of my birth year - The Dassault (GAF) Mirage IIIO.

The kit in question is the recently released 1/48 Kinetic Mirage III, which has many options to build many versions. Although there is an Aussie decal choice provided, I will be using the rather beautifully printed Caracal decals sheet for this build. I'm still in two minds regarding my final choice of 1970 scheme. It will either be a drab 'Lizard Scheme' Butterworth based aircraft from 75 Squadron or the rather smooth looking all silver scheme which was still worn by some of 77 Squadron's hand me down Mirages whilst based at Williamtown, New South Wales. I suppose if I make as many errors as I normally do, the camo scheme could hide some mistakes... let's see how I'm felling when I get there! 

I hope everyone enjoys this GB and by the end of it will look back and be pleased with their results. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

48410099857_8ef9a62c05_b.jpg

Some references - The Mason / Mottram book is just superb! 

48409955346_141610fcca_b.jpg

Kit and AM decal sheets 

48409955306_737fa3c98e_b.jpg

75 Squadron - Lizard scheme (Extra Dark Sea Grey & Olive Drab) - photo courtesy ADF Serials 

48410404506_17f9caf387_b.jpg

77 Squadron - Silver Lacquer scheme - Photo courtesy RAAF Official Photograph / Mushroom Publications 

48410552236_07e4ff4399_b.jpg

Interesting!

Did you manage to start her?

I have a very similar assortment here in the works currently:

• 1 month later...

Another one for the KUTA perhaps - these GB's must always be difficult for for the poor blighters who have to work for a living, unlike old codgers like me, as you will know from your Perth Pat, particularly when you are daft enough to volunteer to administer them😁! Still your hard work has resulted in fun for (most of) the rest of us, for which many thanks guys.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 2

Sad to say chaps, this model left me in a real tizz after about one week's solid work. As old time modellers with years of experience, we shouldn't really criticise modern day kits and be happy with what we've got, however this thing proved to be a real 'challenge' (not my first choice of words!). When you struggle to even fit the two upper wing sections to the one piece lower wing you know you're in for a fight and don't get me started about the engineering they adopted to depict those engine intakes and lower fuse section!! This kit looks fantastic unbuilt, however not so after a week's worth in my hands. I've packed it away and will possibly revisit it when the stash thins out a little!! - that's sounds like a joke I think!

Cheers and thanks for all your support gents.. Dave   

• Like 4

Thanks Pat I’m all good. I’m pretty sure I’ve got both the Heller and Frog kits somewhere in the ‘previously started’ pile. The Canberra used to be my modelling nemesis, now I’m starting to think it might be the Mirage. 

Cheers and I hope your Floaty GB is going well.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sad to say chaps, this model left me in a real tizz after about one week's solid work. As old time modellers with years of experience, we shouldn't really criticise modern day kits and be happy with what we've got, however this thing proved to be a real 'challenge' (not my first choice of words!). When you struggle to even fit the two upper wing sections to the one piece lower wing you know you're in for a fight and don't get me started about the engineering they adopted to depict those engine intakes and lower fuse section!! This kit looks fantastic unbuilt, however not so after a week's worth in my hands. I've packed it away and will possibly revisit it when the stash thins out a little!! - that's sounds like a joke I think!

Cheers and thanks for all your support gents.. Dave   

Don't despair, Dave, time is always short when faced with an unexpectedly  challenging kit. Congratulations on running an fantastic GB - it certainly teased out many unusual kits and a lot of excellent modelling skills from the usual suspects in BM. Roll on the next one (after a break to recover, of course). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...