1969 Saturn V rocket/ Apollo 11

Hi guys,

I will build the 1/96 Revell Saturn V rocket, aka Apollo 11. I will build it staight from the box.

The rocket was launched on the 16th of Juli 1969 For the first rocket to the moon with the landing on the moon as well. so now you know that I am from 1969. It is also the birth year of the kit itself. 

the down side of this kit is that there are no decals for the red letters. They are printed on the plastic. I can't show you jet, because I still need to make some pictures. I hope to do that later this week.  There is a set of decals for it and I might get these for the build.

Cheers,

• Like 9

Yes... as if there was any other subject that one could do for 1969 (...besides Concorde, 747, Harrier.. ok, there are few others?). 

I had no idea that this kit dates back to those Moon shot days so you've actually kicked two goals with this model Arnold - well done! 

Looking forward to seeing the photo's when you get the chance. 

Cheers and a warm welcome.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Here are the pictures of the box and it's content. It will be big!!!! 114 cm high!!!

It is a re-boxing from ten years ago when the model was made for it's 40 years anniversary of the moon landing.

Here are two pictures of the box.

IMG_4815 IMG_4817

and the content

IMG_4818 IMG_4819 IMG_4820

That is it for now guys. I hope to start it this weekend.

Cheers,

• Like 13

This subject will be hard to beat Arnold... at least you can hide it in a corner once built as it probably won't take up that much space.  

Cannot wait to see this one come to life. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi guys,

I have made a start with the kit. It is big and there is some flash to remove. Here are a few pictures.

I started with the rocket engines of the first stage. They are just gleud and need to be cleaned up later. I am thinking of given them the protective foil on it. But that won't be easy to do.

IMG_4821

I also mated the engine plate with the first ring.

IMG_4822 IMG_4823

I have glued it with Revell contacta and I have placed a heavy object on it, so that it will glue straight and get a good bond.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 10

Those pieces do look quite detailed, even for a kit of this age. I think we sometimes forget that moulding technology was not as bad as some people think back then, although there are plenty of howlers that’s for sure. Great start Arnold.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Some more progress. I have made the first stage. I used some clamps and some to hold everything together.

IMG_4824

Here are the engines testfitted

IMG_4825

And I also made the higher part. It is just testfitted here.

IMG_4826

I think it is already around 40 cm high.

Cheers,

• Like 6

Impressive progress Arnold, you almost feel like your walking around the real thing at Cape Canaveral... well almost! Nice shrubbery outlook too, appears to be nice and relaxing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Good progress Arnold,where I lived when I was a kid in the early 70's we had 3ftx2ft  windows at the top of the stairs and there must have been 

a dozen or so of this and Airfix's kits in various ones around our housing estate.

• Like 1

Here is a update of what has been done lately.

As I had some problems with the plastic rings that are made of plastic plate, I have removed the rings on the injection molded parts and I replaced it on the inside, so everything fits.

IMG_4828

As it was a bit to far on the inside I placed some thin plastic sheet

IMG_4827

Than it was time to put some more stages on the model.

IMG_4831

This is where it is at the moment.

IMG_4832

It is now nearly a meter high.

I also got the decals for it from new Ware.

IMG_4830 IMG_4829

That is it for now

Cheers,

• Like 9

@Arniec i see you also had some fit problems with those rings..

I am building one at the moment and solved it by adjusting the holes in plates  that are supposed to become the rings with the text on it..

In that way it gave less fus for me as those holes weren’t aligned in the right manner..

Love to see how this clean up in the end.

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Finally a update. I have start painting the beast. I first gave it a coat of grey primer and after it a few coats of white paint. O, I used some cheap spray cans for it.

Here she is after the grey primer

IMG_4833

And then after a few coats of white.

IMG_4834

In between the layers I hade to smooth the paint job with some fine sanding paper.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Blimey! That looks great! 

Nice painting in the background as well.

My brother lives in Enschede, and he got me some cheap spray cans - Spectrum was the brand I think. Very good quality for the money. Is this the same stuff you use?

• Like 2

When this first came out I was seriously considering buying one, but shortage of both cash and space limited me to the Airfix 1/144 version. I did however buy the large scale "top end" including Lunar Lander with "Moonscape", the stage with opening doors that held the lander, service module and Apollo capsule if my memory serves me right, I suspect that was by Revell but it was along time ago.

Pete

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jinxman said:

My brother lives in Enschede, and he got me some cheap spray cans - Spectrum was the brand I think. Very good quality for the money. Is this the same stuff you use?

thanks. 

I know the paint you mean, but I use the wone from action. they are 2 euros a can. I still have to see if everything goes well in the end with the gloss paint and the decals etc. hope that everything will go good. 

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

When this first came out I was seriously considering buying one, but shortage of both cash and space limited me to the Airfix 1/144 version. I did however buy the large scale "top end" including Lunar Lander with "Moonscape", the stage with opening doors that held the lander, service module and Apollo capsule if my memory serves me right, I suspect that was by Revell but it was along time ago.

Pete

The lunar module is also in the kit, but I have left it out and will be made up later. I have also got a 1/144 version, but from Revell as well. 

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23 september 2019 at 4:48 PM, Jinxman said:

I just bought today a new spray can and you are right. It is from Spectrum. 

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Excellent progress Arnold, she is certainly looking very impressive and I bet you cannot wait to add the black bits and decals on.

Cheers.. Dave 

Yes, I can't wait. The only downside is that I need to get the tape into the groves. I hope I manage that.

Cheers,

• Like 2