1965 Britten-Norman Islander

3 hours ago, zebra said:

............but you're showing we don't need them.

Don't say that... too many decal producers are disappearing. Mainly the Canadian ones like CAnMilair , JBOT, Whiskey Jack and so on.  Their departure is also part of my reason to turn to NZ stuff.

• Like 1

Finished the first set of decals. Fuselage and fin look ok. I used the painted decal film to do the engine nacelles. I assume that they are painted on the inside as well. 

20190915_161425

Colin. 

• Like 8

Hi Chaps, 

It's been quite a while since I have updated this thread but that's reflecting a lack of modelling time. This weekend I finally got time to fit the wings and add the last decals to the fuselage. 

20190929_212011

20190929_211938

Windscreen centre line got missed during masking so wip now. 

Colin 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That is looking simply superb Colin. What a lovely scheme to go with a lovely airframe. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yep; like what he said.  It's all coming together rather nicely.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chaps,  

A bit of a break there but I was able to find a few hours over the weekend to finish off the Islander. Once the wings were fitted only a few minor additions necessary. 

I used the kit main undercarriage bogies but drilled a brass pin for strength into the bogies and the bottom of the leg. This made a strong joint. The nose leg was ok but I added a scissor link from the spares bin rather than the microscopic PE items from the kit. 

The kit Pitot was ok but I replaced the aleron mass balances with brass rod. Likewise aerials were replaced with brass and 0.08mm scale rigging line. This is pretty hard to see but probably is in good scale. 

20191006_154914

20191006_154928

Thanks for the comments along the way and to Dave for moderating and support. 

Colin 

• Like 6

Now that is absolutely fabulous 

One to be proud of Colin.

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Thanks 1

That's just stunning Col and finished off rather beautifully. That's a great scheme and to think it's all done with home made decals just lifts this build even further. 

This is a wonderful addition to the GB Gallery and thanks so much for taking part. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your advice on the weight issues Dick. I packed lead in the front as recommended and added lots of brass to strengthen the main undercarriage as you suggested. She does sit on the nose wheel but not enough that it needed strengthening!

Colin 

• Thanks 1