Is this 51cm hull color possible using a brush?

notflip

I have this Boeing 777 (1:144), which I'm about to start but I'm a little worried about the

hull that needs a big shape of blue color

spacer.png

There's a masking paper cutout available but how do i fix it in place on the model without paint crawling under it?

Since it's not adhesive.. 

Side note: I'm in doubt to buy an airbrush since I don't like brush strokes (which my first model has plenty of)

I just don't have 150 euro's lying around to spend on it at the moment.

Rattle cans can do a reasonable job on models with simple color schemes.

You could cut out the templates and lay them onto multiple pieces of overlapping Tamiya masking tape to form the long continuous masking edge. One you've applied to Tamiya tape, burnish the edges down with a smooth object. Craft stores in the US have "burnishing tools" that will do this job. Alternately, you could sand smooth rounded end onto a wooden dowel. Just use the Tamiya tape for the smooth masking edge. Tape plain paper atop the Tamiya tape to protect the rest of the model from overspray.

HTH

-- 

dnl

What dnl said ^ up there.

Also, you don't need to spend a lot of money to buy an airbrush for single colours over masks. A simple single action, external mix 'brush will do the trick quite nicely, and will still be useful later on when you've upgraded.

But spray cans work.

3 hours ago, sapperastro said:

With decent paint, like Revell Aqua or preferably Model Master Acrylic, you can brush without brush strokes, no matter the size of the model.

I have the Revell Aqua paint lying around, however on my spitfire I can see a lot of brush strokes. I thinned it with a drop of water but still.

Is the quality of the brush important? Can you recommend some brushes that will aid in not having stripes? Thank you!

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Rattle cans can do a reasonable job on models with simple color schemes.

You could cut out the templates and lay them onto multiple pieces of overlapping Tamiya masking tape to form the long continuous masking edge. One you've applied to Tamiya tape, burnish the edges down with a smooth object. Craft stores in the US have "burnishing tools" that will do this job. Alternately, you could sand smooth rounded end onto a wooden dowel. Just use the Tamiya tape for the smooth masking edge. Tape plain paper atop the Tamiya tape to protect the rest of the model from overspray.

HTH

-- 

dnl

Thanks for the tip! That would mean I would have to find a spray can that matches somewhat the Revell color, right?

11 hours ago, notflip said:

Thanks for the tip! That would mean I would have to find a spray can that matches somewhat the Revell color, right?

Indeed.

Looks like the base color is white, which should be readily available in spray cans. 

If you do brush paint. Burnishing the tape should be sufficient if the masked surface is smooth, which may well be the case for an airliner. If there are raised or engraved details such as panel lines, you can paint the edge with the color beneath the masking tape. This will render any leaks indistinguishable and prevent subsequent leakage of the new color.

Edited by dnl42

You want your paint consistency to be about full fat milk. This should tell you how thin you need to go. A soft, yet springy  brush is recommended such as a flat sable. Don't overload your  brush.

There is a young guy that did videos on youtube. I find them to be excellent for beginners and mkre experienced brush painters alike. He uses both acrylic and enamel paint on different builds, and his paint of choice, humbrol acrylic, is not as good for brushing as either your Revell nor Model Master, yet I am sure you will be impressed. He prefers synthetic brushes, I don't, so it is a personal choice.

On youtube search for 'quick kits' builds. It really is a lovely collection of videos for the aspiring brush painter, which is rare in an airbrush laden world.

• Like 1