1968. Sea Vixen FAW2 of Simon's Sircus

1968 Simon's Sircus

In an attempt to control the size of the stash, I have a rule that my groupbuild entries must come from the existing stash. So while researching 1968 I came across the Sea Vixen's of Simon's Sircus.

Simon's Sircus was an aerobatic display team comprising six Sea Vixen FAW.2 aircraft from 892 Squadron. The team operated for a single season during the summer of 1968 and was named after 892 Squadron’s commanding officer, Lt Cdr Simon Idiens. The team's airplanes were painted in standard FAA colours of dark gray and white with yellow and black wolf's head badge on the fins. Simon's Sircus pilots had a real lioness for a mascot. Need to find a 1/72 lioness.

They were based at RNAS Yeovilton and displayed at numerous RAF Airshows and Royal Navy Air Station Air Days during the 1968 season culminating at the Farnborough Airshow in the September.  Towards the end of the season, they flew coordinated displays with the Buccaneers from 809 squadron Phoenix Five

This was not the first time the Sea Vixen had been used in a aerobatic team, 766 squadron formed a team of five Sea Vixen FAW.1. Fred's Five displayed during 1962 & 1963. I believe that Simon Idiens was a member of this team

I will be using Xtrakit's 1/72 Sea Vixen FAW.2 for this build.

spacer.png

Decals will be from the Model Alliance sheet "Royal Navy Aerobatic Teams"

spacer.png

spacer.png

This sheet also includes decals for a Buccaneer from the Pheonix Five, waiting for Airfix's new Buccaneer. :)

• Like 12

Lovely choice JB, who doesn't love a Sea Vixen? This will be a lovely way to honour 1968 along with the Beatles "White Album" blasting out in the background while you build this kit! 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave. 

Great choice. I'd read about them while at school but the finest moment was seeing them display at RNAS Lossiemouth in summer 1968. 

And the Sea Vixen is so iconic. It just looks like it's supposed to fly and never come down   Good luck with the Xtrakit boxing, it does have its foibles. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten this build.

On 29/07/2019 at 22:42, Rabbit Leader said:

Lovely choice JB, who doesn't love a Sea Vixen? This will be a lovely way to honour 1968 along with the Beatles "White Album" blasting out in the background while you build this kit! 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave. 

Won't be the White Album - not sure I should say this but never been a fan of the Beatles. The only Album from 1968 i have is Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison.

@825 @IanHx am aware the kit has a reputation, but I like the challenge.

Aftermarket item I will be looking to use.

spacer.png

Small start made with the cockpit, whilst waiting for the primer to dry on my 2 F-4 builds.

spacer.png

• Like 6

I was there at 1968 RNAS Yeovilton open day/airshow . They were brill for big and heavy things they were chucked around the sky . I bought a set of Simon's Circus postcards . One of , if not the best  day of displays ever seen , certainly hasn't been repeated anywhere in the UK .since . In 67/68 My Aunty lived near Taunton  and Vixens were using that area for low flying ,that was an early Christmas present !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted for a while but have made some progress.

spacer.png

Needed a bit of surgery to install the wingfold. Not a lot of detail in the cockpit, bust as it is all black not a lot is going to be visible when closed up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have also installed the booms, the kit had these butt jointed, however the handed resin inserts (just visible in the above photo) made it a relatively easy task to get everything lined up and gave a solid joint. 

Currently I seem to be in a never ending cycle of fill - sand - prime. 

• Like 7

I will be watching this with interest as I was thinking of replacing my Frog Vixen with the Xtrakit one, if I can find one - King Kit seem to have quite a few!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Nice update of a great subject. Good to see a few WIP progress photos starting to come through. Fill, sand, fill, sand... it’s all part of the fun (as they say)? 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 23/10/2019 at 17:35, PeterB said:

As a matter of interest JB, where did you get the resin from - can't find anything like it on Hannants site!

Pete

@PeterB apologies for the delay in getting back to you, been busy with work. 

That's testing the memory. I know it wasn't from Hannants. Think it might have been A2ZeeModels.

A quick google shows that the Aviation Megastore has a couple still in stock.

Still in the cycle of fill - sand -prime but getting there. Took a bit of work to install the wing folds, still needs a bit of surgery to get them to fold to the correct angle.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...