1/48 Hawker Typhoon 4 blade propeller

Jonny

Everyone ...

I want to build a reasonably accurate Hawker Typhoon, in 1/48 scale.

I have the Hasegawa / Italeri bubble top kit.  I have a set of ‘Tempest’ tailplanes.  I note that some aeroplanes had the 3 blade propeller, other the 4 blade.

Can anyone point me to where I can obtain a 4 blade propeller?  Not too desperate at the moment because this is at the ‘deep thinking’ (aka planning) stage but I’ve looked and looked but without success for 4 blade props *AT A REASONABLE PRICE!* in the UK.

Thanks, fingers crossed,

Jonny

IIRC the old tool Eduard Tempest had two sets of blades,  (typed before @Black Knight posted) and there maybe a spare option in the new tool series 2 kit. as they botched the spinner slots in the initial issue.

Worth putting up a 'wanted' add, as there have been two Tempest Mk.II conversions, so leftover props and spinners are 'out there'

AFAIK, they are the same unit, hmm...  I'm having memories of a thread on this

here

Didn't Eduard do a late Typhoon boxing with a 4 blade option as well?  

this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-11117-typhoon--1136490

1136490-21625-41-720.jpg

Might be easier to look for this, as it will have decent decals as well. 

There is a link to the instruction on the link. 

also

resin.jpg&key=0eee01410be1bb3987437489e9

22 minutes ago, Jonny said:

then you want wheel wells....  the kit ones follow the outline of the gear doors, and the real ones don't.

this build is well worth a read, scratch wheel wells and lots of other tips

HTH

T

As luck would have it I have a 4 blade prop from a monogram kit that I can swap for your 3 blade prop if you want.  I’m trying to convert a “completed” monogram kit into a fr1b. Pm me as i’ll Need to send you a photo of the prop assembly (I couldn’t manage to get the parts separated and one blade was broken off but i’ve Re-attached it).  Someone on here kindly sent me a 3 blade prop from the Hasegawa kit and I checked the spinner against the back plate of another monogram kit I have and it fits so *should* be ok for your kit....here it is taped to the nose of a hasegawa typhoon...

IMG_0315[1]

Edited by Lawzer

Folks,

Lawzer’s reply got me thinking (that *can* happen!).  Ages ago I tried doing something clever with a Monogram Typhoon.  It wasn’t very successful and I binned it, but kept one or two components.  They included the 4 blade prop.  It’s taken a while but I’ve found the thing.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and to Lawzer for his kind offer.

Jonny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Folks,

Lawzer’s reply got me thinking (that *can* happen!).  Ages ago I tried doing something clever with a Monogram Typhoon.  It wasn’t very successful and I binned it, but kept one or two components.  They included the 4 blade prop.  It’s taken a while but I’ve found the thing.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and to Lawzer for his kind offer.

Jonny

Great news! So could I maybe buy the 3 blade prop, spinner and backplate from you fella?

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Great news! So could I maybe buy the 3 blade prop, spinner and backplate from you fella?

Certainly NOT!

You may NOT buy it. PM me with your address and I'll post it to you.

Other BM'ers have helped me out in the past so my turn to help someone.

Please be patient - I'm away for a few days from tomorrow but I'll send the spinner, backplate & blades as soon as I can.  Hope that's OK?

Jonny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, Jonny said:

Everyone ...

I have the Hasegawa / Italeri bubble top kit.  I have a set of ‘Tempest’ tailplanes.  I note that some aeroplanes had the 3 blade propeller, other the 4 blade.

Can anyone point me to where I can obtain a 4 blade propeller?  Not too desperate at the moment because this is at the ‘deep thinking’ (aka planning) stage but I’ve looked and looked but without success for 4 blade props *AT A REASONABLE PRICE!* in the UK.

Thanks, fingers crossed,

Jonny

I can recommend the Vector Tempest prop for a replacement 4 bladed prop. Here is mine. The spinner is not yet glued on in the picture, hence the small gap. In my estimation it is the best Typhoon/Tempest prop.

spacer.png