1976- H builds “Tyrrell P34 Japan GP” (what Murray said) FINISHED

Love the reminders of Murray Walker.

The only commentator who came close was Ted 'snooker ' Lowe. 'After he pots this red he'll line up on the pink. Which for those of you watching in black and white its just beside the blue '.

Classic 

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said "This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up, but down as well."

The gearbox is close to being finished and mated to the engine. 

resized_393e627c-bf75-403f-9e8b-ae6d8c5c

• Like 9

That’s great progress on that engine, looks to be a good kit. How many Murray Walker quotes should be expect to read as this build continues, H?  I do says they are very entertaining. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s great progress on that engine, looks to be a good kit. How many Murray Walker quotes should be expect to read as this build continues, H?  I do says they are very entertaining. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave.

At least one with every build update. There’s plenty of them!

Its a good kit, as you would expect from Tamiya, but is showing its age with some flash. 

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said "I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump."

• Haha 3

The legendary F1 Commentator Murray Walker once said “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

Engine attached to gearbox, as I built the engine it looked slightly cockeyed (technical term) and with the gearbox on the axels don’t seem to be inline. I’m hoping this was a secret weapon within the Tyrrell & nothing to do with me. 

resized_811be4d4-95da-481c-b541-6c6967ed

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 7

Gotta love those Costin and Duckworth (iirc) engines! In Finland we have mr. Matti Kyllönen. One of his greatest quotes dates back to time when Jyrki Järvilehto aka JJ Lehto was driving. Kyllönen had Keke Rosberg as an expert commentator with him. Kyllönen got suddenly very excited and (almost) screamed, look now, there's smoke coming out of an tube behind JJ's engine! Very, very, very coolly Rosberg Sr. replied that in common language that tube is called the exhaust...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great job on the motor h, you've got the aluminium colour nailed 

Thanks Glynn, more luck than judgement with the paints and a few bits of poetic licence. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Sounds about how i operate 😁

Pull the other one! Especially after watching your Sea King build. 

Are you joining us dude?

• Haha 1

this should be interesting to follow, I have the 1/12th beastie and this may give me the incentive to finish her. Started building it years ago but didn't like the paint finish so it's sat around for 10+ years waiting to be finished.

I only just dragged her out (ok found her in the shelf of Doom) recently and found ZeroPaints Tyrrell Blue Lacquer paint so may have to redo the paint job properly and finally finish her! 

IMG_1036-L.jpg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Are you joining us dude?

Maybe H ,A couple of small projects to finish, i do have something appropriate filed away in the stash, so theres a good probability 

One from murray " theres nothing wrong with the car except it's on fire"

Edited by Hewy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said “There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today, four of them are Michael Schumacher”

Some work on the body today, removing the front splitter ready for the PE parts. 

resized_a85d67c9-f268-4c92-9c4e-f563f597

• Like 6

Did Murray really say that? My god, that’s just gold. Good luck with all that PE, looks a little daunting to one who’s hardly touched it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Did Murray really say that? My god, that’s just gold. Good luck with all that PE, looks a little daunting to one who’s hardly touched it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Oh yes, Murray had some absolute blinders. 

With the PE most of it is ok, what I’m slightly concerned about is part 11 holding up the rear wing which is a mix of PE and plastic.  What’s the worst that can happen :shrug:

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said “It’s lap 26 of 58, which unless I’m very much mistaken is half way”

First coat of blue on Jody’s overalls. 

resized_99c54508-511f-46ae-94d5-8472f467

I found my copy of Jim Bamber's Murray cartoon from Autosport

resized_053c460d-5cd8-497f-8f7a-97962fda

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Keep em coming H, I’m now re-telling your Murray Walker quotes to my 18 year old F1 mad son, who unfortunately wasn’t around when Mr Walker was commentating on the F1 circuit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Keep em coming H, I’m now re-telling your Murray Walker quotes to my 18 year old F1 mad son, who unfortunately wasn’t around when Mr Walker was commentating on the F1 circuit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

There’s a story of when Murray Walker was commentating with James Hunt. Murray has the only mic and James is desperate to say something but Murray is talking and not passing the mic. James has had enough and pulls the cord attached to the mic down hard and it falls out of Murray’s hand into his and he starts talking. Murray is so mad, he draws his hand back to punch James but thinks better of it. As the legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said “Anything can happen in Formula 1 & it usually does!”

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Haha 3

Great work H, I really like the Tamiya F1 kits, the engine details are excellent. I can remember building their 1/12th scale boxing of Fittipaldi's Lotus 72D, it was a big beast and contradicts the widely held belief that I don't build anything bigger than 1/48th, mind you I didn't have a lot of shelf space left for books when it was finished. :lol:

• Like 2

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said “He can’t decide whether to leave his visor half open or half closed”

The instructions say this about these underwing weights

resized_e7a204a2-3c37-4129-b6ac-f476d495

Glue 7 together then put them in! Really?

resized_95a67462-96b3-4ba6-a7df-dd0d3a94

One by one is much easier, then glue them in. 

• Like 4

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said “The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.”

Unwittingly he would have been half right about the two Tyrrells. 

This is Schekter’s rear wing

resized_73f35c90-525d-46f0-bfde-06941d27

While this is Depailler’s

resized_054d8389-74a9-4e60-b0b2-7f2cacf2

Here is the PE wing half assembled in all its fragile glory :angry:

resized_a167b9dc-6fb4-4630-b289-ce329c51

• Like 10