1976- H builds “Tyrrell P34 Japan GP” (what Murray said) FINISHED

The 1976 Japanese Grand Prix was held at Fuji Speedway on 24 October 1976. The World Championship was to be decided at the Mount Fuji circuit, with Niki Lauda just three points ahead of James Hunt after a season full of incidents including Lauda's near-fatal crash at the Nürburgring and subsequent missed races.  I was 7 months old. 

Jody Scheckter driving the Tyrrell P34 qualified 5th, but retired on lap 58 with overheating problems. He still had enough points to finish 3rd in the drivers championship behind Hunt and Lauda.  I will be building his mad cap 6 wheeled F1 beast. 

Box shots

resized_0ab519b1-4ce0-4cb8-9bb5-3953d61c

Oooh bonus PE

resized_1417d3f1-64c1-4e6d-b563-dfb14ec8

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 15

1976 was such a momentous year and one that will be etched in memory. This 6 wheeler Tyrell is a perfect memento of that year and it’ll be so great to watch this classic Tamiya kit (now with PE) being built here. Congratulations to also having the first GB car nomination, let’s hope there’s more to come. 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

1976 was such a momentous year and one that will be etched in memory. This 6 wheeler Tyrell is a perfect memento of that year and it’ll be so great to watch this classic Tamiya kit (now with PE) being built here. Congratulations to also having the first GB car nomination, let’s hope there’s more to come. 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave 

Nice one Dave. Lets hope I can do it justice. 

REFEREE!!  Give that man a red card.

Everyone knows that the Tyrell wasn't around when you were born H.  Messer's Montgolfier had their balloons transported by horse and cart that day. :wicked: :lol: Now what did I do with my model of Da Vinci's Aerial Screw. :)

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

REFEREE!!  Give that man a red card.

Everyone knows that the Tyrell wasn't around when you were born H.  Messer's Montgolfier had their balloons transported by horse and cart that day. :wicked: :lol: Now what did I do with my model of Da Vinci's Aerial Screw. :)

:howzat:  :worthy:

Where is your build thread?

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

There are wet weather tyres available for the Fujimi version e.g. here, I don't know whether they would easily fit the Tamiya. Were you planning to use them? 

Ooooo your a bad man. 

I was tempted but have found a picture from the GP weekend with them on slicks. 

• Like 1

😈  Yes, I am evil.  😆

A good choice to stick with the slicks as Scheckter's qualifying was a bit more auspicious than his race.

Of course the big challenge would be Depailler's runner up car with tyres worn to canvas.... Anyone? I would, but you know, been a bit busy etc. etc...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

:howzat:  :worthy:

Where is your build thread?

I am still hunting around for a suitable subject buddy. Apart from the birth of yours truly, there wasn't a lot happening in Feb. 1954. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I am still hunting around for a suitable subject buddy. Apart from the birth of yours truly, there wasn't a lot happening in Feb. 1954. 

February there was a Time to climb record of the XF4D Skyray prototype.  The 1/72 Tamiya kit is rather inexpensive. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_in_aviation

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Mcdonell 101 Voodoo. First flight 29 sep 54

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 10:49 PM, nimrod54 said:
On 7/30/2019 at 4:09 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

We need some builds from the 50s as I'm starting to feel old in this GB. 

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was also born in Feb 1954 and agree not a lot seemed to happen that  month. English Electric P1 made its first flight as did the B52 and C130. The  XF104, Fairey Delta 2,, XF4D, T37 and Voodoo prototypes also flew in this year. The Swift entered service in February which is what I am doing.

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr T said:

English Electric P1 made its first flight as did the B52 and C130. The  XF104, Fairey Delta 2,, XF4D, T37 and Voodoo prototypes

Yeah - not much! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker once said “And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing.”

Lets make a start on the engine

resized_0081eb7d-dd54-4f71-8bcc-f587fb13

I have chromed the parts using a Molotow marker, the rest of the engine will be painted dull aluminium. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 6

On 30/07/2019 at 16:49, nimrod54 said:

After a little vist to my lms today i picked up these

WOpA85D.jpg

The bristol sycamore has a scheme  in it for 1954, may not be your scale though but looks a very nice simple build,clear masks an pe included, 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

After a little vist to my lms today i picked up these

WOpA85D.jpg

The bristol sycamore has a scheme  in it for 1954, may not be your scale though but looks a very nice simple build,clear masks an pe included, 

1/48 is far to big for @nimrod54 

• Haha 2

Nice Murrayism! The engine's always a nice place to start on F1 kits I find. Feels as though you've actually achieved something fairly early on when it's built up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monsjmse said:

Nice Murrayism! The engine's always a nice place to start on F1 kits I find. Feels as though you've actually achieved something fairly early on when it's built up.

Plenty more of them to come. 

• Like 1