Tamiya 1/35 Type 16

Hey guys, 

I hope you're all well and enjoying your summer despite the heatwaves. 

Welcome to the very start of my first project during this year 2019, which I have called "Fuji Firepower". The main subject you ask? The brand new 1/35 scale Type 16 Maneuver Combat Vehicle (MCV) released earlier this year by Tamiya. 

Background Information : 

As Tamiya themselves say, "Japan Ground Self-Defense Force units began receiving the eight-wheel Type 16 Maneuver Combat Vehicle in 2017; it is expected to form a central part of the Rapid Deployment Regiments called for in a mobile Japanese defense policy. It certainly fits the bill, with a top speed of 100km/h thanks to a 570hp engine, and can utilize public highways as well as being airlifted. The distinctively modern turret is equipped with spaced armor and a domestically designed L/52 105mm rifled gun, working in conjunction with an advanced fire control system."

What this really means, going beyond this rather synthetic description from the people at Tamiya, is that the Type 16 is a highly mobile vehicle designed in response to a changing world. In 2014, Japan outlined their new National Defense Program Guidelines. This document made explicit the Japanese government's transition to a more mobile defence policy. In a nutshell, this meant that focus was switched from main battle tanks to more agile wheeled vehicles which could be airlifted to the combat area. Obviously, Japan's rather unique geographical situation had its part to play in this decision. Being a conglomerate of 4 major islands and over six thousand other smaller ones, it's fair to say that mobility between all of these masses of land is a key thing to keep in mind for the JGSDF. And so it was ; away with the big heavy MBT's and hello MCV's. The problem? They didn't have one. 

So it was that Mitsubishi were handed the job of designing a vehicle to fit this new role in the Japanese army. Enter the Type 16 MCV in 2017. Strong firepower, High mobility, Low weight and second to none maneuverability. With nearly a hundred of these in the ranks of the JGSDF as of 2018, this MCV has become a cornerstone of the Japanese forces. So there you have it, the Type 16 in a very small nutshell. For those interested in learning more about this surprisingly interesting vehicle , I suggest you check out its Tank Encyclopedia page here : http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/modern-japan-type-16-mcv/

The Plan : 

Project name : Fuji Firepower

Kit : Tamiya Japan Ground Self Defense Force Type 16 Maneuver Combat Vehicle 

Aftermarket : Tamiya JGSDF Type 16 Metal Gun barrel (Nr.12686) 

Vehicle : Nr. 26-6878, 4th Company, Tank School Unit, Fuji School Brigade 

Location/Time : Fuji Firepower Exercise 2018 Rehearsal, East Fuji Maneuver Area, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan, 19 August 2018

Markings : Decals in box 

Finish : Produced in 2016. Two years old, never seen real combat. Red flag mounted on the vehicle for exercises. Weather conditions not bad (overcast but no rain), relatively dry ground. No damage. 

As I have already started on this project, I'm going to pick it up where I left off and will log my progress for you on this topic. I would love to hear from you regarding this project, be it compliment or criticism. 

Cheers! 

Jack

**heads off to the workbench**

Quick update on the day's work. Steps 13-14 of the Type 16 concluded with no difficulties of note. This basically consisted of building and attaching the uprights. Slightly repetitive 1h job but didn't require much concentration. Getting started on the wheels and upper-hull parts tomorrow. The lower chassis completed - I can say this is a brilliant job by Tamiya. The mechanism that enables the four wheels at the front to turn is really smooth and a dream to assemble. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Step 15 completed. This meant attaching the wheels (not glued) and adding a few bits and pieces to the lower hull. Had a bit of a struggle when my big fingers snapped one of the pieces holding the wheels right in two. No spare part so I glued the two ends back together. I am hoping it holds since it is a really important part of the mechanism which enables the front four wheels of the Type 16 to turn. If it breaks I'll have to consider just gluing the wheels in a fixed position. Extra comment : These rubber wheels from Tamiya are fantastic and smell great - which is always good.

Best regards, 

Jack 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After a fortnight of very little progress on the modelling front - the return of the football season being the main obstacle - I'm back with a progress report on the Type 16. The hull is now completed with all of its details and tools in place. No difficulties of note here , very straightforward business. The turret is next and I've bought the metal gun barrel to make things even easier for myself.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update : I've completed the main structure of the turret, a really smooth build with hardly any extra sanding required besides the sprue connection points. Gun barrel and many extra details to construct next before moving on to the fun part of painting and weathering 

Cheers, 

Jackspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. The construction of the Type 16 is finally completed, (figures excepted). The process of painting is now about to begin with priming and a base coat. Here are some pics of the vehicle before it gets its paint and light weathering. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

On 18/09/2019 at 13:51, bigfoot said:

Really interesting and different subject, good build so far.  What colours is it going to be finished in (I know nothing of the JGSDF)?

Hey bigfoot, 

I appreciate your interest. Here is a picture of the painting/marking scheme I'm going to use for the Type 16. It's essentially the standard JGSDF olive drab and brown, with the lower hull painted in a slightly lighter shade of green. I chose this particular scheme and markings because of the four provided by Tamiya this vehicle is the only one with a nice array of real-life pictures available online. 

spacer.png

Edited by Major Wardaddy
typo
  • Like 2